Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:40:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Restarting my WWI USMC  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
Restarting my WWI USMC
« on: November 28, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »
My USMC project has been on hold since I finished the first 15 US Marines almost two years ago. I pulled out the boxes of miniatures last week and decided it was time to get this project moving again. I have discovered that I really do need two projects going to keep myself out of a rut and losing interest. My plan is to alternate painting western figures for my town of Calamity with my WWI Marines.

Here are some pictures to show where my progress ground to a very rapid halt:

There are more finished pictures and WIP pictures in my blog:http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/p/wwi-28mm.html

The miniatures are a mix of Great War and Brigade Games, sizes are a little off so I may segregate them by manufacturer on the table. These Marines need another appointment with the matte varnish as the first coat gave them a semi-gloss shine that I'm unhappy with. This group is painted completely in USMC colors, like right off the boat. As I paint each group I'll vary the colors between the USMC uniforms and the US Army uniforms which should create a pretty mottled looking bunch of Marines by the time I'm finished. I may also try and vary the greens used for the Marines as the color tended to vary quite a bit by manufacturer.

For my thoughts on color: http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2012/04/usmc-wwi-uniforms-colors.html

I have also accumulated some color reference photos as well, most of which come directly from the US Marine Corps
http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/p/wwi-usmc-ref-photos.html
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
Re: Restarting my WWI USMC
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 05:07:05 PM »
Honestly I think the size difference is not noticeable. They look really good together and the basing ties them all in. Great work. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 06:19:13 PM »
Honestly I think the size difference is not noticeable. They look really good together and the basing ties them all in. Great work. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Indeed, I didn't even notice a size difference until you pointed out that they were from two different manufacturers.

I wish you good luck in restarting this project! Maybe you'll even inspire me to get back into my own very delayed WW1 project  lol

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 11:31:03 PM »
Nice - I suspect there will be a few WWI projects that restart in the next year.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 02:18:55 AM »
Compliments to you, I like the look of your minis, extremely well done.

I also keep several projects going to cut down on the "production line" feel to my painting. I feel it is an art to make a pleasant and appealing army. The process can become a chore if I get bored.

I have a few figs "Winston's Little Army", the Royal Naval Division with a mix of figures, just need to finish the figs with a sprinkling of regulation naval cover. 

I am collecting figures to make Imperial German Navy, Marine Korps Flandern.  I have a sub-theme going on with naval division troops. Having a theme or a historical reference helps to keep my painting momentum going.
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. I did make progress on the next batch of Marines. Another platoon of 15 and 3 more for the company HQ. Found enough bases for all of them and they are primed and ready to paint. Hopefully I get some work done on them after I finish framing in the new closet this weekend.

Offline Cessna

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »
My Germans (and British) are done. Let me know when you're up for a game.

-Scott S.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 01:23:53 AM »
I know they  are, beautiful stuff too! I'll keep chugging along but let me know when you have some time, you do have both sides painted we can blood them all at once.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:51:11 AM »
I made a good start on this next platoon of Marines. The green is not quite what I was shooting for but its pretty close to one of the color pictures I have. The next platoon will be closer to a brown. Here is an overall shot. If you would like to see more you can find them on my blog at: http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2013/12/wwi-restart-usmc-painting-session-1.html

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 07:17:50 AM »
Very nice; not many people do American forces for the Western Front, it seems.