Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:52:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Okay, let's talk Brigades as units rules  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Okay, let's talk Brigades as units rules
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:20:34 AM »
I posted earlier and referenced as part of the post that I was wondering if there were Napoleonic war rules that used  Divisions as the basic stand and the answer appears so far to be, "No."

The closest so far is where Brigades are the basic maneuver base it seems.

Rules mentioned were Age of Eagles and Volley and Bayonet.  Are they the only two sets placing the player as "Army" commander and not also running units at the Battalion level?  I see "Army" commanders ordering Corps, Divisions, or as far down as Brigades in some cases.  Battalions/Regiments not so much...

Gracias,

Glenn

Note:  Rules I have now (which are fine but are not at base = brigade or larger scale) and are not applicable to what I am thinking about are:

Polemos rules from Baccus - Marechal de l’Empire, square bases are used. Tthese can be formed by using two General de Division bases, butted up one behind the other and In General De Division a base of infantry represents an infantry battalion.

THW Muskets and Shakos - each unit represents a company or battalion of foot, squadron or regiment of horse, and section or battery of guns.

Rules I have played or observed being played in the past are Column, Line, and Square; Tricolor; and the venerable Volley and Bayonet.  The first two were tactical to very tactical in nature and V&B seemed "different uniforms, same game play for all Horse and Musket games" type bland when read and observed on the table.

EDIT: I forgot the locally produced/played N.A.P.O.L.E.O.N. rules by Mark Johnson which I have played in multiple times, a traditional Battalion/Regiment/Battery based game.

Rules I have come across mentioned recently are Crusader's March Attack and Quick March Attack (still trying to understand the examples) which seem like they are still below the one brigade per base level - using infantry battalions, cavalry regiments or artillery batteries; Republic to Empire (which I am unclear just what level the units represent); and Field of Glory which I know nothing about as of this moment except it is by Osprey and appears, from skimming reviews, to follow the standard Battalion of Infantry/Regiment of Cavalry as base units.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:23:16 AM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Okay, let's talk Brigades as units rules
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »
"Grande Armée" by Sam Mustafa uses brigades as the basic stand as well.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 12:21:37 PM »
There are nice rules out there that would work

Have you looked at Shako, that uses the Division as the building block however you will have brigades working under those.

http://balagan.info/shako

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »
Shako are a good set of rule but you still move Bn (3 stands ) about ,

I would say its more of a brigade/ division game  handling more than 1 division will be  a push I think as you  have 2-3 brigades(or more  :D) in that division and each brigade will have around 3-6 bn (OR more    :o
so a player that could handle two divisions at a time in these rules I take my hat off to him .

Hope this helps LR

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 07:13:02 PM »
Shako are a good set of rule but you still move Bn (3 stands ) about ,

I would say its more of a brigade/ division game  handling more than 1 division will be  a push I think as you  have 2-3 brigades(or more  :D) in that division and each brigade will have around 3-6 bn (OR more    :o
so a player that could handle two divisions at a time in these rules I take my hat off to him .

Hope this helps LR

In the first edition there was a large scale set of rules to play corps level sure of it. Found the description

Shako also offers a variant for Large Battles (S15.0 Rules for Large Napoleonic Battles, p. 18-30). The basic unit becomes the division, with several corps being on table at the same time.

In the Large Battles option, one stand represents a 600 infantry or 400 cavalry, alternatively an infantry regiment contributes 3 stands and a cavalry regiment contributes 2 stands. Gun models represent 16 weapons.

As a stand (30mm wide) is now roughly a battalion (90m in line) the ground scale now roughly becomes 1:3,000, so my 6′x4′ table represents 5.4 km x 3.6 km.

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:32:38 PM »
Ok thanks for the up date we just play the 2nd edition and use a frontage of 25mm x20 mm for bases ..I know it should be the other way round but that's the Penarth bozs  for you  ;)they got us Wessex lads into it !  :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »
Ok thanks for the up date we just play the 2nd edition and use a frontage of 25mm x20 mm for bases ..I know it should be the other way round but that's the Penarth bozs  for you  ;)they got us Wessex lads into it !  :D

Its a good few years since I played to be honest but rmember using the large scale rules we were able to do Waterloo in 5-6 hours ;D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »
"Grande Armée" by Sam Mustafa uses brigades as the basic stand as well.

Brigade as basic stand sounds good but the picture, (if that is a brigade which I am assuming,) appears to be using bases of Battalions. 

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 06:04:32 PM »
deleted and re-posted.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:06:15 PM by Conquistador »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »
In the first edition there was a large scale set of rules to play corps level sure of it. Found the description

Shako also offers a variant for Large Battles (S15.0 Rules for Large Napoleonic Battles, p. 18-30). The basic unit becomes the division, with several corps being on table at the same time.

In the Large Battles option, one stand represents a 600 infantry or 400 cavalry, alternatively an infantry regiment contributes 3 stands and a cavalry regiment contributes 2 stands. Gun models represent 16 weapons.

As a stand (30mm wide) is now roughly a battalion (90m in line) the ground scale now roughly becomes 1:3,000, so my 6′x4′ table represents 5.4 km x 3.6 km.

In a moment of unbridled interest I ordered a copy of Shako Version 1 off Ebay.

I will check out the sections noted by previous poster.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »
Fast Play Grande Armee
http://baronvonj.blogspot.com/search/label/FPGA

To get the FPGA, you buy the GA rules I take it?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »
Brigade as basic stand sounds good but the picture, (if that is a brigade which I am assuming,) appears to be using bases of Battalions. 

Nope... it's a corps. Three divisions of 2 brigades, two artillery batteries and a cavalry brigade + Corps Commander.

Grande Armée is now out of print. I got my copy of the rules a couple years ago at Salute.

I also have the Fast Play Grande Armée PDF, which was once posted on Sam Mustafa's web site as a free download.

If you are interested, PM me with your email and I can send you a copy.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 03:36:18 AM »
Nope... it's a corps. Three divisions of 2 brigades, two artillery batteries and a cavalry brigade + Corps Commander.

As Grue says in Despicable Me, "Light Bulb!"

:o

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »
You have mail...  ;)