Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689713
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mauser C96 useable with Lightning Draw?  (Read 7107 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Mauser C96 useable with Lightning Draw?
« on: December 10, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »
I'm looking through my old Companies considering upgrades from the new stuff in HVF. I'm wondering if the Mauser C96, which is otherwise treated as a carbine, is considered a one-handed weapon and thus useable with Lightning Draw. Annie Diamond and Beaumont Judd would really like to know.

Mike O
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: Mauser C96 useable with Lightning Draw?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:38:03 PM »
I'm looking through my old Companies considering upgrades from the new stuff in HVF. I'm wondering if the Mauser C96, which is otherwise treated as a carbine, is considered a one-handed weapon and thus useable with Lightning Draw. Annie Diamond and Beaumont Judd would really like to know.

Mike, I'll discuss that with my armourer Charles and get back to you.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »
Don't think you could draw and cock one handed. Suppose you could carry it cocked. Suppose you could roll for accidental discharge.  :D

Sorry if my understanding of 'lightening draw' is cocked.  lol

Doug

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »
Han Solo can.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 07:49:23 PM »
Han Solo can.

You... are an evil man. And, what's more, you like it.  lol

Doug

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »
Ah but Han So was shooting at men who threw themselves into his shots in the misguided belief that their papier mache armour would protect them.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 04:16:52 PM »
Well, ahem, back on subject, I submit the following bits to suggest one-handed operation of the now infamous Mauser C96:

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Anzacs

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Joe Kidd

Assault on Precinct 13

Laurence of Arabia

The Mummy Returns

The Red Detachment of Women

and the aforementioned Han Solo (DL-44 Blaster was indeed a modified Mauser C96)

At least Hollywood seems to think it can be easily fired one handed....

By the way, excellent web site on firearms on the big screen: http://www.imfdb.org

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 05:10:06 PM »
I'd say that being able to use it one-handed is a fair bit different from being able to quick-draw it.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Thorwin

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 05:21:16 PM »
I think the carbine version is the one with attached shoulder stock, useable only with two hands.
I you use is at as a pistol you can Lightning Draw, but it counts as a normal pistol.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 06:39:11 PM »
I think the carbine version is the one with attached shoulder stock, useable only with two hands.
I you use is at as a pistol you can Lightning Draw, but it counts as a normal pistol.

Pretty sure that image is the one that uses the wooden holster as stock. Can be shot freehand even with it attached. Heck to quick draw from, though.

I thought cocking the dingus required a second hand pulling up in the middle of the top of the piece. (Sorry, terminology failing.)

Anyone know if you can use the charging handle to load a round, but have the hammer 'down', to be pulled back later? Isn't that the essence of quickdraw?

Throw in several models over the years, and picture is muddier still.

Doug

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »

This is why we made it a carbine :)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »
I confess that my conception of the Lightning Draw talent has nothing to do with slappin' leather, as we Yankees say, but rather a combatant's ability to move and react quickly and decisively: what we old D&D geeks called "Dexterity." The photos posted above surprised me in that the Mauser was actually smaller than I had assumed it to be. When wielded one-handed, it is about the same size as the iconic Colt Single-Action revolver. The cavalry version used by Custer's men at Little Big Horn was only 3 ounces lighter, while a quarter-inch longer, than the Mauser. This is just me, but I see no reason to exclude the Mauser from Lightning Draw. If that means it can only be used at a 12-inch range for that purpose, so be it.

I further confess that I was drawn to the weapon early on in my Company creating by an author, writing on the subject "Creating Your Own Company in IHMN," whom stated "I love the iconic C96 Mauser Machine Pistol," partly because "it was the first real automatic pistol." Unfamiliar as I was with the history of small arms, I assumed that the Mauser was awarded Carbine status because of its superior rate-of-fire over other pistols ("automatic pistol"), rather than the fact that a stock could be attached, which I believed would do nothing to increase rate-of-fire and muzzle velocity and do little in increasing accuracy, which would primarily, I believed, be a function of barrel length. I now find, at least according to one expert, that with its "long barrel" and "high-velocity cartridge...[the Mauser C96] had superior range and better penetration than most other pistols." "Superior range and better penetration"  alone should award it Carbine status, and both factors are independent of whether or not a stock is attached. By the way, I have also seen photos of it being fired one-handed with the stock attached!

Well, didn't mean to go on at such length: pardon my meanderings. But I do really love this game's philosophy of gaming and gamesmanship, not to mention the rich history and narratives woven through it. I also greatly appreciate my fellow IHMN enthusiasts, gentlemen--and ladies--all.

So, Craig, can we use it or not? Either way, I'll still be out there slappin' leather, with a smile (or maybe a sneer) on my lips.

Mike O

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »
My solution to make it playable and avoid disagreement with opponents:

Decide in advance of the game whether you want to use the Mauser as a pistol or a carbine in the game and pay the appropriate points for the gun. If you have Lightning Draw you can use that skill (treating the Mauser as any other pistol). If you choose to use the gun as a pistol you cannot use it as a carbine in the game and vice versa.

Simples!
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »
My solution to make it playable and avoid disagreement with opponents:

Decide in advance of the game whether you want to use the Mauser as a pistol or a carbine in the game and pay the appropriate points for the gun. If you have Lightning Draw you can use that skill (treating the Mauser as any other pistol). If you choose to use the gun as a pistol you cannot use it as a carbine in the game and vice versa.

Simples!

I believe that General Sir Bullingon-Shott has it right. I am happy to endorse this solution (until Charles tells me why not in great detail ;) ).

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 06:10:30 AM »
I believe that General Sir Bullingon-Shott has it right. I am happy to endorse this solution (until Charles tells me why not in great detail ;) ).

That I would call a gentlemen agreement!