Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:26:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691466
  • Total Topics: 118393
  • Online Today: 566
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victory Decision: Future Combat - Broken LoS & Cover  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Talarius

• Assistant
Victory Decision: Future Combat - Broken LoS & Cover
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:10:14 AM »
Hi,

I am finding Broken LoS a little confusing. Broken LoS seems to be determined on a model-by-model basis. When checking LoS from a shooting unit to a target unit, at what point does it become classified as "broken"?
  (A) when a single shooting model cannot draw LoS without it crossing intervening terrain or friendly models (since enemy models BLOCK LoS they aren't considered for Broken LoS).
  (B) when the majority of the shooting unit cannot draw LoS without it crossing intervening terrain or friendly models
  (C) something else?

Once you have determined that LoS is broken to at least some models in the target unit, does the +1 modifier to Hit apply to all dice rolled or just some?

On page 26, the rules state: "Roll Damage Dice: Simply roll the established number of Damage Dice and apply ONE of the following modifiers (Broken LoS OR Soft Cover OR Hard Cover)"

If both Cover (say the target unit is in a forest) and Broken LoS (a friendly unit is standing in the way) are applicable, should we default to using one over the other? Always use Cover instead of Broken LoS or vice versa?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. I'm very much looking forward to trying these rules out and have written up a couple test lists for fun. I've also pondered alternate melee weapons and shields for close combat. Keep up the good work! :-)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: Victory Decision: Future Combat - Broken LoS & Cover
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 08:56:50 AM »
Thanks for answering!  :)

Q1: I am finding Broken LoS a little confusing. Broken LoS seems to be determined on a model-by-model basis. When checking LoS from a shooting unit to a target unit, at what point does it become classified as "broken"?
  (A) when a single shooting model cannot draw LoS without it crossing intervening terrain or friendly models (since enemy models BLOCK LoS they aren't considered for Broken LoS).
  (B) when the majority of the shooting unit cannot draw LoS without it crossing intervening terrain or friendly models
  (C) something else?

A1: C – Shooting in FuCo is pretty deadly, hide, use every bit of cover that you can! Consequently be generous with broken LoS.
Quote from P. 24: “LoS is checked from model to model, while range is checked from unit leader to unit leader.”
Quote from P. 25: “As soon as you trace the “virtual” straight line through other models or terrain features but both models can still partially see one another (any part of the target model is not fully visible) the LoS becomes broken.”
So as soon as not all enemy models are in the open with clear LoS, the Broken LoS DD modifier applies.

Q2: Once you have determined that LoS is broken to at least some models in the target unit, does the +1 modifier to Hit apply to all dice rolled or just some?
On page 26, the rules state: "Roll Damage Dice: Simply roll the established number of Damage Dice and apply ONE of the following modifiers (Broken LoS OR Soft Cover OR Hard Cover)"
If both Cover (say the target unit is in a forest) and Broken LoS (a friendly unit is standing in the way) are applicable, should we default to using one over the other? Always use Cover instead of Broken LoS or vice versa?

A2: Yes, you apply ONE of the modifiers, they are not cumulative. Just as you quoted from P.25. And you always apply the modifier to all rolls of the shoot action.

If anything else comes up, feel free to ask!

cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Talarius

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
Hi Agis,

Thank you, that helps.  You did miss one of my questions, so I've made a slight change to it below for clarity:

If both Cover (say the target unit is in a forest) and Broken LoS (a friendly unit is standing in the way) are applicable, should we default to using one over the other? Always use Cover in preference over Broken LoS or vice versa?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 07:04:59 PM »
As answered under A2, if both apply, you choose one.
But cover would make more sense, or?

;)

Offline Talarius

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »
It would; I just wanted to know how you play it in your games. Also, I wasn't 100% sure which was mathematically more beneficial to the defender, although I figured it was probably the cover save.

Btw, thanks for adding in the experimental H-PACS, as I have a bunch of those AT-43 figures. Perfect!

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 04:29:39 AM »
You are welcome!