Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:27:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strongman Talent  (Read 1738 times)

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
Strongman Talent
« on: December 02, 2013, 03:41:47 AM »
Wouldn't it make sense that with strongman talent in addition to handling 4 handed weapons alone that the person should receive at least a +1 to there FV in hand to hand fighting? Just a thought or suggestion..

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: Strongman Talent
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 05:54:57 AM »
Wouldn't it make sense that with strongman talent in addition to handling 4 handed weapons alone that the person should receive at least a +1 to there FV in hand to hand fighting? Just a thought or suggestion..

I see your point. However, we tried to make each Talent do something quite different and there already was one that gave an upgrade to FV, Duellist. The reason for this is to prevent Talent stacking. It's a game mechanic rather than a real life one.

As always though if in your games you wish Strongman to give +1 FV then do so, as long as you have your opponents' agreement. I would make it a 10 point Talent though, not a 5 point one.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:14:20 AM »
If I can say should that not be a negative pluck roll if he hits some one in hand to hand??? being strong does not make you a better fighter but hell it hurts alot more and i like the  ideas anyways cool

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »
I always rationalized this as the big guy still being somewhat encumbered by toting a 2-man weapon (and ammo etc.), so while he is strong, he's still not at peak melee efficiency (hence no bonus to FV), and when he does hit someone in combat (assuming he's not armed with a secondary weapon – knife, sword etc.), he's clumping them with a weapon not really designed to be used as a bludgeon – a large, improvised weapon perhaps, which is found in the equipment lists, and offers no Pluck modifier.

Looking at which melee weapons get Pluck modifiers, it seems to be – broadly speaking – a -1 for something sharp, and a -2 for something sharp and heavy, so I'd be reluctant to give a Pluck modifier to something that is neither, even if it is wielded by a big guy.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »
If I can say should that not be a negative pluck roll if he hits some one in hand to hand??? being strong does not make you a better fighter but hell it hurts alot more and i like the  ideas anyways cool

A minus to the pluck roll does make sense. Thanks for the suggestion and all the responses. The help is appreciated.

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »

If someone with the Strongman Talent can use a 4-handed weapon 2-handed, it could be argued that he could use a 2-handed weapon 1-handed.

For Fighting weapons, this "fixes" someone with the talent doing increased damage (the only weapon I wouldn't allow it for it rifle and bayonet, which requires it's own talent, and proper use it 2-handed).

For shooting weapons ... well, it can get a little complicated depending on the loading system of the gun. It might be easiest to say a Strongman can fire a 2-handed weapon 1-handed but needs both hands to reload/chamber a new round. Weapons like the bow can't be used one-handed.
Brandon

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »
If someone with the Strongman Talent can use a 4-handed weapon 2-handed, it could be argued that he could use a 2-handed weapon 1-handed.

For Fighting weapons, this "fixes" someone with the talent doing increased damage (the only weapon I wouldn't allow it for it rifle and bayonet, which requires it's own talent, and proper use it 2-handed).

For shooting weapons ... well, it can get a little complicated depending on the loading system of the gun. It might be easiest to say a Strongman can fire a 2-handed weapon 1-handed but needs both hands to reload/chamber a new round. Weapons like the bow can't be used one-handed.

Hey Copeab,

I had a similar question and we discussed it at length in this link http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=61335.0

We came up with a new talent called True Grit for 5 points that allows the firing of carbines and shotguns one handed. You could add military rifles to that but we agreed that firing a bolt action rifle one handed would not work and you would have to use the second hand to re-cock anyway.

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis