Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:22:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: medieval apocalypse/fantasy setting  (Read 5450 times)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
medieval apocalypse/fantasy setting
« on: December 16, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
Apologies if wrong section ,I have been mulling over a medieval England setting ,of just humans battling each other.maybe a crop failure/famine and factions battling for resources,with outlaws,bandits, different nobles.and evil worshipping cults,bit like the 1980s robin of Sherwood ,time of the wolf?.
Any similar blogs/threads anyone know of,I have tried googling but all that pops up is warhammer/mordheim and Westeros and game of thrones.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: medieval apocalypse/fantasy setting
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 02:00:43 PM »
Could possibly try "Ars Magica" - Medieval RPG setting.

Also there seem to be at least one, but I suspect more than one, "Dark Fantasy" RPG's for medieval Europe - Cthullhu and that sort of thing. White Wolf did something IIRC.

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:04:25 PM »
Also, "Legends of the Flame Priincess" - a late medieval, or possibly early renaissance (it's fantasy) RPG. It has a generally dark theme, though I should add the author does try and go for "Shock" factor in a lot of his stuff.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »
"Lamentations of the Flame Princess" - a re-presentation of some Old School rules, but with a decided horror twist. They're avalable in a Free PDF set on DriveThruRPG
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
"Things to come" has a medieval-style society (with firearms), and "Doomsday" has one too in a small settlement, although both are technically sci-fi films.
A popular post-apocalyptic fantasy setting is D&D Dark Sun, where unrestricted spellcasting has caused the lush world of Athas to become a barren desert, with metal being extremely rare and strange mutations creating all sorts of side-effects both in monsters and normal people.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 02:36:21 PM by Cherno »

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
"Lamentations of the Flame Princess" - a re-presentation of some Old School rules, but with a decided horror twist. They're avalable in a Free PDF set on DriveThruRPG

Ah yes, I didn't think "Legends" sounded quite right! Thanks.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 03:40:51 PM »
Thank you everyone,I remember the castle in doomsday,I have that on DVD.
I'm thinking more of a medieval setting than a modern society that has gone backwards in technology.
Does anyone have any ideas for rules for a skirmish warfare,with swords and bows/crossbows,in medieval times.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:38:38 PM by 3 fingers »

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 08:01:42 AM »
We've got a game in development that I think is pretty much what you are looking for; it's 14th century England, but fantasy. Only humans, no elves/dwarfs/etc, but it does have limited magic, and witches and devils... basically the superstitions are all true. It's designed around small warbands, with an experience system similar to Mordheim. And it has (I think, anyway!) a very cool setting, based on a real place / event...

But it's still a fair way off yet - there's still a lot to do!

Here's a WIP figure from the game (there's been a few changes since then - the falchion's been slimmed down for a start):

cheers,
Michael

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »
We've got a game in development that I think is pretty much what you are looking for; it's 14th century England, but fantasy. Only humans, no elves/dwarfs/etc, but it does have limited magic, and witches and devils... basically the superstitions are all true.

Sounds rather good. Quite similar to some of the C17th folklore-horror projects and games you'll find over on the Pikes, muskets and flouncy shirts board. Worth looking through there for some inspiration, as it's the same basic idea - a broadly historical setting, but with some otherwordly elements.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
Never thought of looking in the flouncy shirts will do,
I don't mind limited magic or witches that had limited powers .
What got me thinking was the ad on sky ages back about the village with no food attacking the other,I think it was an older age period though as they only had a  Bow and farming implements.
But limited technology and highly superstitious folk could be fun  lol

Edit to add I also find bastles and the border rievers /cattle raiding era fascinating
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:52:06 AM by 3 fingers »

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »
Just saw this...it's OSR, but perhaps contains something of interest.

http://darkcornersofrpging.blogspot.ca/2013/12/free-osr-mega-resource-from-dragons.html

Googling "Harn" might also turn up something. They do a game called "Battlelust" which I personally think might be too detaild but which i know some people use. Lots of people use Song of Blades and Heroes for skirmish games. I'm currently looking at "Ronin" which, I think, could easily be adapted to non-Samurai games. Then there is GW's LOTR Skirmish Rules which have some very good ideas. I've seen them adapted for Samurai! Not to forget "Saga". Also, it should be said that some RPG systems have reasonably good combat rules especially if small skirmish is what you are looking for.

I think the best way is to have two catagories on the table: the "heroes" (or characters) and the "Grunts" (or minions.) The former are fleshed out more and are harder to kill. The latter should ideally die like flies, but through numbers and attrition (or an unlucky blow) might still lay a hero low.

Just found a description of the Battlelust sytem:

http://landoatwar.blogspot.ca/2010/08/battle-report-using-battlelust-wargame.html

Should also add that the Two hour Wargames series is pretty good if you are doing this solo.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:16:47 PM by Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 05:04:17 PM »
Films like the Black Death and Season of the witch would be good starting points perhaps also :D

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 05:44:14 PM »
I'll offer Pike & Shot & Zombies (scroll down), which although set in the Thirty Years War, is easily convertible for the Medieval Era (everything is already in there weapon-wise) and very apocalyptic too, as society has broken down completely. Besides the obvious zombies (which you could leave out), there is a belief in witchcraft, with the obvious social and punitive results within a superstitious population, although there isn't any actual magic... pretty much like the real thing. It's good stuff, cleverly done, with some great scenarios.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »
I have Watched black death  ;)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 09:59:15 PM »
Such an idiot,I have backed warploques kickstarter,so that's one rule set I will be getting,
I also going to dig my necromunda rules out Of the loft and have a read.