Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:02:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Eureka JDF scale question.  (Read 2689 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Eureka JDF scale question.
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:03:56 AM »
Does any one have the Eureka miniatures Japanese defense force troopers from their Kriegspiel line?
If so I was undering how they scaled up to there other lines such as the USMC, SEALS and ANP? Also how well they stand up to Empress moderns?

I have a Few of the Empress modern PLA on order from there recent kickstater and was thinking of using them in a FOF or a SS game.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Eureka JDF scale question.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »
They are noticeably smaller. These were  Mike Broadbent sculpts for the Kriegspiel range so more in the realm of large 25 mm. As I don't have them in front of me I'm going on memory but I think they are about 26mm foot to eye. For me this works as one can use the Hollywood convention that Japanese males are shorter than the average Western male.

They aren't the best of sculpts, something true of the Kriegspiel range as a whole but they are quite serviceable, unlike the Kriegspiel Brits and they are unique. I think you will find they work well enough.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »
For me this works as one can use the Hollywood convention that Japanese males are shorter than the average Western male.

Not just Hollywood of course:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Troops_of_the_Eight_nations_alliance_1900.jpg

Troops of the Eight nations alliance of 1900. Left to right: Britain, United States, Australian colonial, British India, Germany, France, Austria-Hungary, Russia Italy, Japan.

Interesting enough the Cheyenne people were some of the tallest in the world at one point with an average height of 5'10" in 1800. That was a good half a foot more than a White American.

/digress

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »
Not just Hollywood of course:

Times have changed a bit since that photo. The average Japanese male is 5'7", a mere 3" below the average American/Brit (5'10")... although arguably we're way ahead on width. Oddly the Dutch, Danes, Baltic States and the Scandinavians are the tallest on average in the World, closely followed by the Balkans, Germany and most parts of Eastern Europe. Even China manages an average of 5'8".

I am intrigued by an Eight Nation Alliance which lists nine countries (presuming Britain and India count as one that is), unless Australian counts as British too.

;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:16:10 PM by Arlequín »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 02:10:29 PM »
Btw, the JDF figures actually make quite decent proxy Indonesians.

Improved diet has generally increased the stature of most Asian populations, North Korea being the odd man out but for precisely the same reason: diet.

I think the relative altitude of the average Dutchman is a natural genetic safeguard against the dykes breaking with a consequent need to keep one's head above water. No idea why Scandinavians are so tall. Similar safeguard against higher than average snowfall?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »
Times have changed a bit since that photo. The average Japanese male is 5'7", a mere 3" below the average American/Brit (5'10")... although arguably we're way ahead on width. Oddly the Dutch, Danes, Baltic States and the Scandinavians are the tallest on average in the World, closely followed by the Balkans, Germany and most parts of Eastern Europe. Even China manages an average of 5'8".

;)
So your saying I would fit in pretty well over there with my towering height of 5'8. lol
Speaking about the JDF, is there any more info then the regular wiki about there capability's?

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »

I am intrigued by an Eight Nation Alliance which lists nine countries (presuming Britain and India count as one that is), unless Australian counts as British too.

;)

It was the British Empire, dear boy :). The 1922 Washington Naval Treaty was still signed by the and for
The British Empire, and it is only in the Balfour Declaration of 1926 and the Statute of Westminster that the Dominions assumed the same, autonomous status within an overarching Empire

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 02:42:06 AM »
Times have changed a bit since that photo. The average Japanese male is 5'7", a mere 3" below the average American/Brit (5'10")...

Well all we you have to do is work out what that 3 inches means in height difference in 28mm scale. Simple!  :P

although arguably we're way ahead on width.

Hurrah! We're still world class, eh?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »
Well all we you have to do is work out what that 3 inches means in height difference in 28mm scale. Simple!  :P

As soon as figure manufacturers decide what the height of a 28mm figure is, I will get right on it.  lol

Having said that sometimes typical height differences 'should' be depicted within a range of figures.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 10:45:14 AM by Arlequín »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »
Oh god  jim, you aren't still on that quixotic quest to get Morecambe and Wise figures in 28mm are you?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 11:13:31 AM »
Do not mock my dream of setting up a 'That Riviera Touch' cast for 7TV.  >:(

;)