Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:03:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Question about Moving Into Contact, Disengaging & Shooting  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
A Question about Moving Into Contact, Disengaging & Shooting
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:17:37 PM »
Hi,

New to the forum but been around a while, I'm teaching my great-nephew IHMN in the hope my niece won't be bankrupted by Warhammer.

I'm happy to make up house rules when needed but just want to clarify with your good selves if I'm reading the IHMN rules correctly and, more importantly, fairly - thoughts, comments and efforts to point out the blindingly obvious all welcome ...

Picture the scene, Mohan Singh faces a spear armed native, with only a 5" gap between them.
The native gets initiative and Runs towards Mohan - this would normally give a 9" move but the native stops after 5" when in base-to-base contact with Mohan.
On Mohan's turn he successfully makes a Pluck roll, saunters 1" away from the native, turns and smiles .....
On the shooting phase Mohan blasts the native into oblivion not even having a movement penalty to make the shot difficult whilst the native's last thoughts were 'Why didn't I follow him?' (Kwa nini si mimi kumfuata?)

Successful Pluck roll or not this doesn't seem particularly fair. Should the native be allowed to follow up to his full move? Or should the disengaging party lose the chance to shoot? Both of these options seem to apply to 'Movement & Terror' situations but not to conventional Fighting.

Have I read this wrong? Or am I being to soft on the poor natives?

Regards
Mark B.
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people ... I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out ...

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: A Question about Moving Into Contact, Disengaging & Shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »
Not really knowledgeable about the rules but the poor "bloodthirsty"  lol  native would seem likely to follow at least to his max distance in reaction to his opponents move to try and kill the other guy.

Good question. Rules make games manageable but sometimes tweak our sense of reality.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline c12

• Student
    • c12 Workshop
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 01:53:57 PM »
I would actually apply modifiers to Mohan's roll :
-3 because the native has moved more than 3'' (he charged 5'')
-4 because Mohan has moved (he dodged and opened fire, it's a kind of reaction fire)
Total -7

I wouldn't allow the native to follow as his movement ends when he gets to base-to-base contact with Mohan.

Hope this makes sense
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:55:42 PM by c12 »

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
We would play it the way C12 suggested.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts, my gut feeling would be to go with Conquistador - allow the native to follow up as that is most 'realistic' and cinematic but I can see problems with managing that in a game as Mohan's move might come several alternating turns after the native came into contact and you would have to remember how far the native had moved and how far he could pursue .... too much potential for error.

Good spot C12 I'd forgotten the penalty for the native's movement ....
If I understand the rules as written (and clarified in the IHMN reference sheet) typically a -4 penalty only applies if the Shooter has moved 3”+ this turn but I think it would be simple to add 'or disengaged from a Fight this turn' .... more KISSy than managing follow up and cinematically I can picture Mohan stumbling backwards from the native firing frantically ....

'nuf said, job done ... thanks again.
Mark B.

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:19:56 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts, my gut feeling would be to go with Conquistador - allow the native to follow up as that is most 'realistic' and cinematic

I don't know, Mr. Singh clocking the native with his cannon, stepping back and obliterating the staggered spearman sounds pretty cinematic to me...
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."