Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stripping Paint  (Read 17609 times)

Yorkshire_man

Re: Stripping Paint
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 05:04:35 PM »
The best stuff i have ever found for "metal" miniatures is "Nitro mors" paint striper,just use it in a well ventilated room or near a window.Just use a old brush/or better still a oil painting brush,apply a coat or onto the area you are working and watch it peel,then just clean with a toothbrush.
Apply as many coats as you need to get to the bare metal, then just rinse under a running cold water tap,thats it.
Figure be will brand new,clean and ready for painting,after this just wash in washing up liquid,dry then undercoat.

It will also remove old superglue with out any problems at all,i have just cleaned up a squad of  second hand terminators,that normally retail for £30,i got the lot for £10 with the price of the Nitro mors,call it £12.
The only problem is i am tempted to go and buy lots of second hand figures just to clean up ha ha ha....

As for second "hand plastics" i use "cellouse thinners" these take longer,but will remove the paint.
If any anyone has any questions please feel free:).
Nitro mors will even clean up AT-43 figures as the plastic is hard and does not "burn" as normal plastic does.

Cheers all,

Yorkshire_Man.

Offline The Black Rider

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 12:14:14 PM »
yorkshire man where did you get the nitro mors stuff from? Halfords or b&q or somewhere similar?

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 12:36:11 PM »
I don't know about Yorkshire_man, but I got mine from Morrisons.  But you should be able to get it in B&Q or pretty much any DIY store.

Edit: If you do use it - remember to only use it in a very well ventialated area!!  I know its repetition, but it is always worth stating again and again and again!

Yorkshire_man

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 08:01:58 PM »
I get mine at Wilkinsons,or any DIY store.Sometimes they have that "ask your age" "or what do you intended to do with the product" safety advice.

Yes mate anywhere where you get Diy materails,paint anything like that.Price is usally the same as well.
Glad to be of help,

Cheers Yorkshire_Man:)

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 08:31:14 PM »
Careful about how you use, and dispose of, Nitromors. I've heard tales of it eating through the plastic plumbing/piping of environmentally irresponsible types who've poured it down their sink. While I don't use the filthy stuff myself, a friend who does says, if you leave it exposed to the air long enough (e.g. in your garage), it dries out and is easier to dispose of.

Yorkshire_man

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 02:33:36 PM »
Good point!!

Nitromors dries out anyway,and if left to the air evaporates into it,thats why you should it near a window,or good ventalation.
When i have finished i reseal the tin and left the brush dry out itself,when i came back to it the brush was ready to use.
For information read the "tin and instructions" "IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN"

Cheers all:)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 03:38:35 AM »
Don't drink or inhale the Pinesol and you'll be fine - safe enough to be poured down the sink. With all paint strippers wear gloves and possibly a face mask, depending on the smell, and goggles or safety glasses and plenty of ventilation. Large glass jars, like pasta sauce ones with tight lids, are the best. I've kept some metal figures soaking in Simple Green for months and no odors.

Castrol Super Clean is about as elusive as a White Castle, so the next best thing is Simple Green. Not as pungent a scent as Pinesol and safe on plastics.

Here's a table of various tested solutions as paint strippers from Dr. Faust's Painting Clinc, Ever Insane's Paint Stripping http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/removingpaint3.htm

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
Tutorial: Stripping Paint With Simple Green
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »
I just posted an excellent illustrated tutorial on my blog about using Simple Green to strip old paint from metal minis. Simple Green does a great job and is nontoxic, unlike a lot of other chemical strippers like brake cleaner.

Kyun originally wrote the article for his late, lamented Wee Toy Soldiers site, but since he's has to step away from the hobby he's kindly allowed it to be reposted. Anybody who has a pile of badly-painted minis bought off eBay should definitely follow the link.

http://thescreamingalpha.com/2009/04/28/stripping-paint-with-simple-green/
Check out The Screaming Alpha http://thescreamingalpha.com for the best in miniature and RPG reviews, guaranteed! [Not a guarantee]

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Tutorial: Stripping Paint With Simple Green
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 06:14:51 PM »
Nice tutorial. Simple Green is expensive and not so easy to get hold of in the UK.  Given this, I hope you don't might me posting one which I did for The Forum of Doom using Dettol which is readily available over here.

http://forum-of-doom.com/index.php?topic=10450.0

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 10:47:33 PM »
I tried the Dettol method recently (Foundry shopkeeper that became G-G-Granville)
Worked well for me.  :D
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »
Thanks for the link, Citizen Sade. I checked to make sure that Simple Green is available in the UK, but I didn't know it was expensive and/or scarce. Glad to hear there's a good alternative. I'll see about adding an appendix to that effect in the article, as I get a lot of readers from Europe. Would you know if Dettol a UK-only product or is it available in the rest of the EU as well?

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 12:18:52 AM »
I don't really know about the availability of Dettol in mainland Europe as a whole, but one of the chaps on that Forum of Doom thread was able to find it online in Germany.

Regarding Simple Green, as far as I can ascertain, it's only available online in the UK. In contrast, all the supermarkets sell Dettol. The price is significantly different too - Simple Green's ?10.99 per litre whereas you can get 750 ml of Dettol for ?3.59 on Amazon for instance.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 12:22:55 AM »
Here's the website just in case.

http://www.simplegreen.co.uk/
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jules

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2011, 10:46:50 PM »
Mr Muscle oven spray cleaner.  Models go in a jar fill with Spray, seal and leave for 48 hours wash off and tooth brush off the paint.  But as stated it can discolour some models. 2 out of 5 1/600th P40s went dull.  Just maybe left them too long but clean as can be.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 10:24:33 PM »
Mr muscle kitchen cleaner. :)

I use it on metal plastics and resin alike.. never had any trouble.

This, this and this only!  :D

It's cheap, available in every supermarket (at least in the UK) and strips pretty much everything whilst still being safe to use on plastic and not melting your hands off or rotting your sinuses in the process. Why would you want to use anything else?  ;)