Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:21:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ViDeFuCo: stats for my Space Wolves versus the Ork Hordes  (Read 3565 times)

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant
ViDeFuCo: stats for my Space Wolves versus the Ork Hordes
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:05:13 AM »
My game club is very heavy into 40k, but recent developments in the 40k game have driven many to start looking at other systems. I picked up Victory Decision Future Combat recently, so I thought it would be fun to come up with a scenario showing that you can (gasp) use your existing figures in another rules set and still have fun in a universe that they enjoy.

For my first skirmish scenario, I'm trying to work up some stats for a squad or two of Space Wolves and a Dreadnought defending a shuttlecraft from Ork attackers while it preps for launch.

My thought for Space Marines in general is to take the most high tech standard infantry and call that "Marine Tough," and just make normal humans less formidable. Thus the High Tech combat suit 4+ Save and a Hit/Crit of 4/6 is Power Armour. This solves the trouble of making Orks and Marines "more tough" than the average human, and lets me run Terminators as Hardshell Infantry, and do some badass HP/2 for a big Nob.

Space Wolves infantry as the Multirole Combat Suit Infantry Squad
- downgrade to Kinetic Pulse carbines
- either taking the Ferocious Upgrade for the listed 25pts (they have a thing for close combat)
or
- adding the Zombie entry's Melee weapons (Save/-1)

Dreadnought as a Heavy Combat Walker
- armed with a Chain Gun (Assault Cannon on the model), and a Heavy Flamethrower
- As far as close assault, does he need a weapon or does he crush infantry with one die per size like a normal vehicle?

Orks as Low Tech Rifle Squads
- lose the Fire Teams rules
- Add "Mob Rule", units benefit from Single-Minded when the unit numbers over 50% to represent fearlessness in number
- Lose Tank Hunters
- Gain Ferocious for those armed for close combat

With this in mind, a human soldier of the Imperial Guard would be something akin to 3/6 or 4/5 for Hit/Crit. Reducing the Crit threshold really increases their casualties more than reducing their Hit threshold.

Anybody else thinking about using their 40k models with ViDeFuCo?

Magnus

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: ViDeFuCo: stats for my Space Wolves versus the Ork Hordes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:09:02 AM »
I have some random 40K Chaos figs that I will be building into a force for ViDe: FC but they were never a 40K army at all. I actually picked up- more of the Dark Vengeance Cultists to make a series of low-tech rifle squads.

For the Space Wolves I'd take Ferocious. It will make them a lot more effective in combat as it allows them to reroll combat results even after the initial attack

For the Orks I'd reserve the Ferocious rule for Choppa Boyz. Leave the Shoota Boyz without it so they focus on ranged combat as would be their preference.

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:09:42 AM »
I have some random 40K Chaos figs that I will be building into a force for ViDe: FC but they were never a 40K army at all. I actually picked up- more of the Dark Vengeance Cultists to make a series of low-tech rifle squads.

So cultist rifles as your core platoon, with some chaosy bits in there as support? Sounds like the bad guys in one of the Gaunt's Ghosts books I read years ago. Who are they going to be fighting against?

Are your Chaos Marines going to be tougher than the Multirole Combat Suit Infantry?

For the Space Wolves I'd take Ferocious. It will make them a lot more effective in combat as it allows them to reroll combat results even after the initial attack

For the Orks I'd reserve the Ferocious rule for Choppa Boyz. Leave the Shoota Boyz without it so they focus on ranged combat as would be their preference.

Sounds like a plan. I've got many, many Orks with many, many different weapons, so I don't think I'll be getting bored with the ranged options. A friend of mine has been wanting to play a "Stormhawk Down" scenario set in Orkadishu for years.

magnus

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 07:53:02 AM »
I love these topics! This is exactly what I hoped for when writing FuCo.
Space Wolves infantry as the Multirole Combat Suit Infantry Squad
- downgrade to Kinetic Pulse carbines
- either taking the Ferocious Upgrade for the listed 25pts (they have a thing for close combat)
or
- adding the Zombie entry's Melee weapons (Save/-1)
I would use the Ferocious Ability! +1 to all AD and a permanent Re-Roll in CC and Assault is very  IMO "SpaceWolfie".

Dreadnought as a Heavy Combat Walker
- armed with a Chain Gun (Assault Cannon on the model), and a Heavy Flamethrower
- As far as close assault, does he need a weapon or does he crush infantry with one die per size like a normal vehicle?
See P.43 11.2.1 CC:
"Roll Size x D10 Close Combat Dice for all vehicle models in your unit that have at least one enemy model within their CR."
So yes - a heavy walker rolls Size3 x D10 with an CR of 3"!
 If you add the CC weapon he also gains the Ferocious Ability!

Me, we had many playtest games Eldar vs my Horus Heresy Death Guard!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:54:59 AM by Agis »
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
So cultist rifles as your core platoon, with some chaosy bits in there as support? Sounds like the bad guys in one of the Gaunt's Ghosts books I read years ago.

The Blood Pact? They ended up being a pretty well organized and equipped force. I suspect that I will be adding some Pig Iron Kolony Rebels to the force to make up some Blood Pact troops

Who are they going to be fighting against?

At the moment they will be fighting against UNA and Red Blok figures. I am sure that there are some people with 40K armies that we can get to drag their minis out.

Are your Chaos Marines going to be tougher than the Multirole Combat Suit Infantry?

I've never played them as a 40K force so I will just be using the default MCS stats for them. I've started writing my own background for them to make them fit into a universe with multiple human opponents. The entire force is going to ultimately be a mishmash of low, medium and high tech troops

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 08:39:24 PM »

I am now. :)

Offline imurdentist

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »

Funny, this morning I spend some time browsing the net, looking for some cheap way to get a 40k army (something I haven't been doing for about 10years). After some reading, I was hooked on a 500pts List of Space Wolves!
And there is your thread! Now I'll get me some Marines and start painting! Thanks  :D

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 12:17:10 AM »
I'm going to be giving these rules a run in the Rogue trader 40k
Universe...though I will be using alternative armies retained knights and muster troops as space marines and imperial guard....vs vintage citadel chaos space marines and some orks.  Should be a lot of fun...so this is a very timely thread for me too.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline underfirewargaming

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 02:17:36 AM »
I am very interested if you all could tell me how this game handles things like Infantry VS vehicles and just how far does the diversity go for infantry units? How many different average levels of stats can be chosen for each stat if possible?

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:43:19 AM »
I'm going to be giving these rules a run in the Rogue trader 40k
Universe...though I will be using alternative armies retained knights and muster troops as space marines and imperial guard....vs vintage citadel chaos space marines and some orks.  Should be a lot of fun...so this is a very timely thread for me too.

Good choice! It looks like those figs would fit in well with the Rogue Trader metal marines in terms of style.

I am very interested if you all could tell me how this game handles things like Infantry VS vehicles and just how far does the diversity go for infantry units? How many different average levels of stats can be chosen for each stat if possible?
Most infantry have the same Hit values (the die score needed to inflict a Hit), varying in Save (armor or other defensive skill) from 3+ for a heavily armoured battlesuit to 6+ for basic flak vests. A vehicle might have a much higher Hit score (7, 9 even 12 for a tank), requiring a higher die size or a large modifier to even inflict a Hit. All models have a Crit value too, which inflicts double Hits.

I'm going to stat up my normal humans as a 3+ Hit, 5+ Crit to be weaker than the brutish Orks and super-human marines which have a 4+ Hit, 6+ Crit. Depending on game experience, I might bump Crit to 7 for the Marines. There is a lot of room in the system for different Hit and Crit values, multiple Hit Points, different saves, etc to model anything from a human on up to a hideous alien monstrosity. The book only has points values for humans, walkers, tanks, apcs and such, with no guidelines for generating your own points costs or units. That isn't a problem for me, but it might be for some folks.

Funny, this morning I spend some time browsing the net, looking for some cheap way to get a 40k army (something I haven't been doing for about 10years). After some reading, I was hooked on a 500pts List of Space Wolves!
And there is your thread! Now I'll get me some Marines and start painting! Thanks  :D

Have fun! I love my goofy Space Vikings dearly; I just don't like playing them in 40k anymore.

Magnus

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »
Thanks for summing it up so good magnus!

As far as stats for different units go, I can not provide 40K, AT-43 etc. stats for obvious IP violation reasons.
I CAN however give feedback, points values etc. on stuff YOU create.
Just like done here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=61617.0

Offline underfirewargaming

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 11:50:04 PM »
Thanks man I will take a look :)!, I wasn't going for the whole 40k and other setting stuff anyhow, just interesting for the future of my own line is all :P!