Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:41:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Foreign Devils were on the Silk Road  (Read 23901 times)

Offline stefanov

• Bookworm
Foreign Devils were on the Silk Road
« on: December 28, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »
Dear all,
yesterday we had a very nice game on the Back Of Beyond. The scenario has been thought after reading
Peter Hopkirk outstanding book with this topic's name.
For those interested, you may see details on background, the true story and the armies here on this link:

http://stefanov.no-ip.org/wiki/pages/Q2D7n906/Treasures_from_the_Silk_Road_the_true_story.html

We thank again the Triumph and Tragedy designers for giving us many hours of enjoyment.

During the game we had to invent a lot of rules on special units and equipment. Some shuffling of cards
was most fun! If Lead adventurers have time to discuss with us, we will write down a list of T&T topics for which
we have no clear clue yet.

Ah! I was forgetting, here some anticipation photo!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Foreign Devils were on the Silk Road
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »
Very nice looking game - thanks for sharing!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 02:17:23 AM »
Looks like a ripping good time.

Compliments to you on your great figures, such detailed terrain, and wonderful trucks. The boats are delightful also.

Yeah, I like it all.  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:21:42 AM by Sendak »
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 04:54:54 PM »
Wow. Great Battlereport ! Lots of pictures of nicely painted  scenery and miniatures !
Thank you for posting.

We are happy that you had a nice game.

If you have rule questions we try to help.

Did you use the Event Cards ?

Cheers and all the best for 2014.

Björn
, ,

Offline stefanov

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »
Dear Bjorn, Thank you,
we had a lot of fun during the game. The event cards played well, even if I need to find a balance on how many cards should go around.
I decided on one card per player per move, with 50% chance, but since we had six parties the cards going around were a bit many..
well many cards is a lot of fun in any case.
Well boat rules is needed a bit, even I was using suggestions I had from this forum. Train rules for next games would be helpful, I am
currently waiting for a fellow lead adventurer to illuminate me!
One thing maybe. Players using vehicles did not know which action cards to use, how fast is a vehicle move for getting -2 on vehicle
weapon firing.
One player asked why a move action card exists, since move and shoot is better, you never know when it is time to fire.
I also have some uncertainties on artillery and finally morale rules, but I must admit that we had not played T&T since a few months,
so I have to do my studies before asking a reasonable question on these subjects.
Most Happy 2014 to you and your fellows!
 Stefano

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 10:13:37 PM »
Hi Stefanov,

I'd like to answer some questions of yours.

One thing maybe. Players using vehicles did not know which action cards to use, how fast is a vehicle move for getting -2 on vehicle
weapon firing.

You use the "Move" card, and "Move and Shoot" for a "Move and Shoot" action. Vehicles firing always suffer the full firing penalty when moving (early military vehicles were not really stable platforms), but have the advantage of being able to fire heavy weapons on the move (if there is a suitable weapon mount or the weapon is a part of the vehicle, like a tank's gun).

Furthermore, the full modifier also reflects the poor vision from most enclosed vehicles. It is a bit abstract, but easier to remember than having different modifiers for each type of vehicle, IMHO; if you want, however, you could implement lower modifiers for open-topped vehicles, for example.

A vehicle gains the -1 "Target moving fast" modifier if it moved 8" or more in the last activation before the enemy shooting occurred.

Movement distances for vehicles are rolled and then kept in the original version, or in range bands as per the revised vehicle rules found in "Libertad ó Muerte". I recommend the use of the revised rules as they greatly reduce book-keeping and give you more flexibility in moving vehicles.

One player asked why a move action card exists, since move and shoot is better, you never know when it is time to fire.

A move action lets your unit move any distance between 0" and 8". A move fast action forces you to move EXACTLY 6+2D6"; the move and shoot action allows the unit to move up to 6" (25% less than a move action) and fire weapons thereafter. So, basically, if you need those extra 2 inches but don't need to fire, it may be a better choice than the move fast action.

I also have some uncertainties on artillery and finally morale rules, but I must admit that we had not played T&T since a few months,
so I have to do my studies before asking a reasonable question on these subjects.

Feel free to ask once you get your requirements sorted out. I hope the above answers were helpful to you.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »
Hi,

there will be no rules for movement very soon.

Move and Shoot 4 "
Move 6 "

An I also consider a shoot and move order.

Cheers
Björn

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
Very nice table and figures!

@Björn: please just change the text on the move and shoot order to also allow it the other way round, instead of adding a new order card for this! Let's try to limit the ammount of cards! o_o

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 07:17:39 AM »
Good idea Ben

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »
Very colorful.  :o
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
have visited your blog; that really does look great.

what gaming mat are you using in terms of the 'grassed' area, might I ask?

that's the look I'm after - just picked up a 'mat-o-war', and it's way too stiff (although there are supposedly ways to address that).

Dear all,
yesterday we had a very nice game on the Back Of Beyond. The scenario has been thought after reading
Peter Hopkirk outstanding book with this topic's name.
For those interested, you may see details on background, the true story and the armies here on this link:

http://stefanov.no-ip.org/wiki/pages/Q2D7n906/Treasures_from_the_Silk_Road_the_true_story.html

We thank again the Triumph and Tragedy designers for giving us many hours of enjoyment.

During the game we had to invent a lot of rules on special units and equipment. Some shuffling of cards
was most fun! If Lead adventurers have time to discuss with us, we will write down a list of T&T topics for which
we have no clear clue yet.

Ah! I was forgetting, here some anticipation photo!

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:41:30 PM »
What a great looking game.

One question - where did you get those fishing boats seen in one of the photos? They're just what I need for a game I have in mind.

Offline stefanov

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »
dear all,
sorry for answering you so late about the mat and boats.
The mat I have used in the game are simple Games Workshop green mats. They are so cheap and good that they decided to retire them from the market!
Fishing boats are from a firend of mine, I will play a new game with him next friday, so I will be hopefully able to telle you.
cheers Stefano

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »
Stefanov, that would be great, many thanks.

Offline stefanov

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 08:58:18 PM »
I have few answers from my friends about boats appearing on the photos.
The Sanpans are from Minimi miniatures, while the boat on the forefront is a fantasy one.
My friend unfortunately could not recall the company of thsi last one, sorry!
If I may be able to help for other needs, just leave a message!
cheers Stefano