Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 06:49:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696563
  • Total Topics: 118773
  • Online Today: 579
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Robots - PAINTED!  (Read 30357 times)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: 15mm Army in 3D
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
Very interesting topic!
And I love the look of the robots, they have a nice light hearted Clone War feel.  8)

Will the Shapeway prints be public available?
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 08:11:25 AM »
Very cool stuff man!, have you though of getting them printed and casted instead of doing just straight up prints? Shapeways prints even at the best ultra fine detail still have some lines that come through, I tested some old sculpts on them here:

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a472/underfire987/IMG_2101.jpg

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a472/underfire987/IMG_2099.jpg

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a472/underfire987/IMG_2103.jpg

You can see that the lining still shows through, if you just wanted to go through printed then it can be done, however you would need to print in the resin for harder material for gaming, and it will not be near the detail on these guys which didn't show as much as the 3D print did. Later I had resculpts done of them for 28mm ( their 38mm tall to be in scale with human miniatures :P) and had the masters printed off at Moddler and the level of detail is much better:

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a472/underfire987/IMG_2193.jpg

However these master prints are not something you would want too just run the company through prints as each one of these costs  quite a fair amount too print. However they are very good for casting and I find still casting methods far outdo anything printing on the level of amount produced in time and price per each cast compared too each print. Let alone better material quality for gaming as well :P.

However I defiantly encourage you to give it a go regardless which path you decide on going on. I think 3D printing and digital miniatures really is a great way too create an entire line of similar miniatures in a much more cost effective method ;)!.

Best of luck with your work and look forward to seeing them coming out!.

with best regards - Shawn.

thanks for the informations Shawn!

I've done some 3d printing for metal casting in the past, and you're right, the results of shapeways are just mediocre. I did a small spider walker - it will be released by Resina Planet soon - and if we went for Moddler it would have been much much awesome.
Still, the 10$ print from shapeways is going to cost 100-150$ in Moddler, so there's quite a gap in budgets.

For this little project, this models are a PAIN to cast due to the thin parts and the non-flat structure, and that's the main reason i wanted to try with the plain printed ones. Since they are quite skeletal, besides, their volume is small, and so cheap they are.

@Dewbakuk: I asked some prices for stls i sent to moddler. They are extremely nice guys, and helped me and even worked on my stls even though i told them that i was just curious. But still, their prices are good for a medium-big company, not for me nor even a small business! :S

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »
Sorry Agis, i missed your post in the next page!

Will the Shapeway prints be public available?

Unless someone will buy the models (but they are definitely NOT meant for that, still who knows) i'd say sure! First i'll have to fix all the little parts that the shapeways guys will complain about, though.
When they are castable, i'll make some tests, post photos and then i'll make available! ^_^

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 09:21:20 AM »
Ah so Moddler is another company, thanks, good to know.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »
Ah so Moddler is another company, thanks, good to know.

a very good one. never ordered for them since i'm not rich, but their products are everywhere... and great pieces indeed! Sadly, their cost is quite high (100$+ for a 28mm, for a vehicle i don't dare to guess). =(

Offline underfirewargaming

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 01:26:53 AM »
thanks for the informations Shawn!

I've done some 3d printing for metal casting in the past, and you're right, the results of shapeways are just mediocre. I did a small spider walker - it will be released by Resina Planet soon - and if we went for Moddler it would have been much much awesome.
Still, the 10$ print from shapeways is going to cost 100-150$ in Moddler, so there's quite a gap in budgets.

For this little project, this models are a PAIN to cast due to the thin parts and the non-flat structure, and that's the main reason i wanted to try with the plain printed ones. Since they are quite skeletal, besides, their volume is small, and so cheap they are.

@Dewbakuk: I asked some prices for stls i sent to moddler. They are extremely nice guys, and helped me and even worked on my stls even though i told them that i was just curious. But still, their prices are good for a medium-big company, not for me nor even a small business! :S

I can see what your aiming too do their, in which case yes then shapeways will be the best choice for you :)!. For me being a small company, I however found Moddler to be very well priced compared too other printer companies who print at the same level of detail and averagely cost more and most of them then charge you for a resin master cast too be made because the original material would not withstand basic shipping pressures unlike Moddlers material which can be sent straight too metal casting :D!.

However prices are very important, I have seen only a very few other companies that charge less and their quality just doesn't seem too be up their. However I am planning on releasing these guys into a full scale range getting new reposed and edited sculpts done , which will cost less in the med too long run compared too green sculpting everything so I feel I can make it work :P. Vehicles can be very expensive, which is why I would never do them in 28mm, if all goes well I plan to do a 15mm version of my range, which then it will be affordable to print 3D vehicle sculpts!!.

However Dewbakuk is planning on printing these guys in 15mm correct? they may only cost somewhere around 50 bucks for one print? considering the cost cuts for a range of 3D sculpted minis, I think that could be a very realistic price range?

Anyhow I am glad I could help everyone!, I really like this tech and the future it holds I think its worth it now too invest in digital sculpts when doing a large range of similar looking units, for more individual unique units in a range however I still agree Green sculpting is the more economic way too do those things for now anyhow :)!.

best of luck everyone will keep up too date on this post!.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »
Wow, there's some good information in your last post, thanks indeed! :)

Now i've placed an order with the models in the picture, i will see the results, and i will decide if the idea is wprthing a bigger modelling effort.
i will surely keep the thread update, but i'm afraid that in the next few weeks there won't be much more to share :(

Cheers,
Jack

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 12:48:58 AM »
Shawn, was that printed by Shapeways? Just had a look for Moddler on their site but couldn't find anything.

The small 15mm ones were printed at shapeways. The larger Grey much more detailed 38mm guys were printed at moddler. 15mm guys would be somewhere around 50 bucks from my estimation for printing costs from moddler, however that depends on the sculpt entirely and something like what we see here, I would say I doubt would cost near that much at all :P!.

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 12:52:06 AM »
Wow, there's some good information in your last post, thanks indeed! :)

Now i've placed an order with the models in the picture, i will see the results, and i will decide if the idea is wprthing a bigger modelling effort.
i will surely keep the thread update, but i'm afraid that in the next few weeks there won't be much more to share :(

Cheers,
Jack

Its just my thoughts, I however really feel this is were a lot of hidden potential is n 3D sculpting ;). Anyhow I will defiantly be watching this thread for any updates!, I am very interested in seeing how these guys turn out and what you plan to do next!.

with best regards - Shawn.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 09:48:36 PM »
Ok, the 3ds are ready. Here's a view of what i'm printing together with the bots. Some scenery , doors and stuff, 1/1200 aeronefs  and some other tests!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »
Order placed! they accepted the models, so now i just have to wait to see the results. I order a dozen of bots together with the rest... but i made a "test" model just to see the prices: 72 figures for 28 euros. Not cheap as Old Glory... but still interesting!

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1607902/

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:53:25 AM by Sangennaru »

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »
I love them!

Offline undead_jon

• Bookworm
  • ~Just the way the doctor made me~
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
I really like the look of them, fantastic  :-*

J
~What do you see in the dark when the demons come for you?~

My Painting Blog / My Displaced Miniatures Page

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
Thanks guys!
Got slightly inspired by taus and Samurai Jack ultra-robots!

http://zapp.trakt.us/images/episodes/944-2-5.jpg

If those pieces are good, i might start a 3d modelling service for people wanting their own robot armies! The skeleton should be the same, but adding different paddings and heads and weapons you can have a lot of variety! Or even just custom poses! :D

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 12:48:32 PM »
If those pieces are good, i might start a 3d modelling service for people wanting their own robot armies! The skeleton should be the same, but adding different paddings and heads and weapons you can have a lot of variety! Or even just custom poses! :D

I AM interested, would be fun for my upcoming Future Combat Robot book...  ;)