Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:54:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690860
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Solo medieval rules?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline dexey

• Student
Solo medieval rules?
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
Hi
New here and new to wargaming.
I have quite a few medieval 54mm figures and I am looking for a set of rules for small scale solo play. I am interested in skirmishes, raids and the like.

My figures are of the 1250 - 1450 period but, while I'd like to stay in that time frame I am not bothered if I am not replicating particular events. I am more interested in an hour or two's good fun.

Any suggestions for suitable rules please?

Thanks

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
Re: Solo medieval rules?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:47:46 AM »
Songs of Blades and Hero's by Ganesha Games is very adaptable and will solo easily

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »
P.S. they also do an Arthurian set which can be 'High' Medievial as well

Offline dexey

• Student
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:05:39 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion.
It seems to be a fantasy game. What does that mean?
Somebody on another forum suggested Swordplay by two hour war-games. Does that compare in anyway with Song of blades?
Thanks for your help.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:16:25 PM »
the two hour wargames get rave reviews, as do the songs of range of rules. I've a couple of sets of each, and I must say I think there is more to the 2 hour rules, but the songs rules are better laid out and easier to digest and learn. for fantasy, think Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Dungeons and Dragons and things of that ilk. it's all good fun. welcome to the hobby. you may find something of use here;

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/

http://www.jimwallman.org.uk/wargame/

links courtesy of Conquistador(aka Glenn)

There are rules and figures for any period of time you can think of - from cavemen versus dinosaurs to Star Wars and beyond. I hope you get into the hobby and enjoy it, but be warned, it's a slippery slope to suddenly finding you have more toy soldiers than you know what to do with  lol

Offline dexey

• Student
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 10:18:18 PM »
Thanks for the links.
I have downloaded the Song of Blades rules and watched a video on YouTube. It doesn't seem as though the fantasy bit needs to be followed.
I've never got on with dragons and the like.
The action part of Song of Blades seems clearer than Swordplay so may give me an easier starting point.
Cheers

the two hour wargames get rave reviews, as do the songs of range of rules. I've a couple of sets of each, and I must say I think there is more to the 2 hour rules, but the songs rules are better laid out and easier to digest and learn. for fantasy, think Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Dungeons and Dragons and things of that ilk. it's all good fun. welcome to the hobby. you may find something of use here;

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/

http://www.jimwallman.org.uk/wargame/

links courtesy of Conquistador(aka Glenn)

There are rules and figures for any period of time you can think of - from cavemen versus dinosaurs to Star Wars and beyond. I hope you get into the hobby and enjoy it, but be warned, it's a slippery slope to suddenly finding you have more toy soldiers than you know what to do with  lol