Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:30:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: High quality hex maps for strategy games? How about custom tokens?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
To all,

My father is a long-time wargamer and modeller.  He's recently rediscovered some classic old-school strategy games (Blitzkrieg etc.).  He's spent too much time editing and re-working modern games that he became burned out for a while.  He's really enjoying going back, and massaging the rules on some of the older simpler systems.  I was wonder, is there a company which produces new or replacement hex boards for games like the old Avalon Hill series?  I'd like to find some high quality hex boards I can buy him as gifts.

http://camelotgamestore.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=157

^This is something like what I'm talking about...though I can't stomach the idea of $144 for a printed map...

I'd like heavy card stock (he has glass plates) or board-backed stuff.  I'm not into the genre so I have no idea where to even start looking.  Can someone vouch for a company or site?  I'd like to stick to a size like the one I posted...representing a couple of countries at max.  They can be fictional or real.

Also in the same vein --- is there a place where I can have custom cardboard chits created or cut out?  I'm comfortable designing them - just wondering if there is a print on demand option?  I'd like to get my father's input and produce a set of tokens or chits for use with his games.  He's been gathering rules from various games and combining them.  I'd like to help him finish off the project if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Re: High quality hex maps for strategy games? How about custom tokens?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »
I'm sure there is company that does lasercut  hex tiles in mdf you obviously need to decorate the tiles yourself though. The name of the company escapes me at present sorry.

hmm re-reading your post its not what your after ....sorry!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:00:16 PM by Brummie Thug »

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 01:25:07 PM »
well,

there are some graphic redesign on BGG (boardgamegeek) of old games. The problem is that you have to print and mount by yourself. There is that silly problem of copyright that prevents doing new version of older games if you do not own the rights (thanks god). As a matter of fact, several years ago Mark Simonitch redid a map for AH Anzio. One of the original designers came out screaming on BGG and yelling (virtually) that that was awful and everyone owning the map had to destroy it. Mark was putting the map out for free it has to be highlighted.

But sincerely, some of these old games were ridiculous bummers and the current crop are much, much better. Blitzkrieg for example was quite awful... i would suggest some of the better alternatives out of there, some with rigid or (heresy) mounted maps...

Sincerely I think your best bet is to look at BGG and find if there is something you like and then find a printing shop that cater for your needs.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »
I'm not necessarily looking for certain games...I'd be absolutely fine with "made up" maps.  Was just hoping there was a company out there which made nicely backed game boards.  My father is currently playing some modernized/revamped version of Blitzkrieg with his modifications added on top of it - I'm not entirely sure what remains of the core game.

Regarding tokens...I could actually go MDF.  In fact I have a buddy who runs a fine MDF shop...so that's not entirely out of the question.  I suppose it'd be relatively easy to hit them with a bit of paint etc. 

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
If you provide the graphics, there are lots of companies than can mount them.

Check the board game design forum on BGG
also http://www.bgdf.com/forum

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »
Thanks Cherno, I'll start looking!