Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:19:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Campaigns of Alexander the Great  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
Campaigns of Alexander the Great
« on: January 01, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »
Hello folks, I have bought into the Forged in Battle Kickstarter from Westwind. In anticipation of what I want to order I am planning on buying models for Alexander's campaign against the Persians.

My question is this, I am not a points gamer, rather I prefer to play scenarios. With that in mind what should be my ratio for purchasing the Macedonians and Persians?

Many thanks,

Richard

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
Re: Campaigns of Alexander the Great
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:02:31 PM »
 I think your best bet is to pick a battle and then work from that.what rules will you be using ?

I do have a Persian army and play Fields of glory and find that I do get around 20-30% more troops than my greek friends ,but saying that we play with points , that does not help you out ,but the greek where always heavily  out numbered so nothing changed  there .
hope this helps
LR  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:13:25 PM by LawnRanger »

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:13:55 AM »
I have taken a look at the battles of Issus and Granicus for inspiration. I think I will have to spend heavily on the Persians.

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:36:08 PM »
Are you going  re-enact the battles or refight the battles ? what scale are you going to use and the rules .

Are club is going to refight the  Battle of Plataea in 15mm next month we have 4 greek player and 4 persain player and 8hrs to fight it in.Last time the Persain hammered the greeks (the Spartan general had a BAD day with the dice) we rolled up the right flank of the greeks .. The centre held (just about ),was a good game ..
will take some pics IF I can find the camera  :(
any way happy gaming and good luck with the project   LR..

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »
I'll be using 15mm minis, and I am considering using Ager Proelii by James Roach. The rules were provided in a supplement of Miniature Wargames Jan Ed. 2012.

The other consideration is I buy armies to refi gut the successor wars.

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:42:27 AM »
Like your choice of 15mm figures—big armies.

I generally like to build both armies because it is easier for me to find a friend or fellow gamer than it is to find someone with an army that is ‘compatible’ with mine (“my precious”).

I decided to go 30% up to 50% more Persians than Macedonians.  I was mainly influenced by modern authors’ analysis of the battles and a cheeky need to have a big Persian “Empire” army—that is made up of tributary states and satraps—“it’s a small world, after all”.   

Perhaps a third decision:  you will have to decide how to divvy your troop types within your army/armies unless the rules ‘gently guide’ you.

There will be elephants, no?

Wishing you all the fun!
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 04:38:30 PM »
Elephants...! Ah yes, if I am swayed towards the Successor armies then it's a definite. But I like chariots too.

I am currently reading a book, The Wars of Alexander's Successors. Alexander had so many capable generals at his disposal, it's staggering. What's more these men carried on fighting each other for another 40 years after he died.

Relighting some of their battles might be more interesting than some of the set piece battles of Alexander's campaign.

When it comes to rules I tend to not worry too much about points or how the rules work, rather I make them work for me and adapt them as necessary. My friend has a Roman Republican army, Carthaginians and Seleucids. I quite like Ptolemy and Antigonus. I may base armies around these men.

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 07:54:59 AM »
Hi Orlock
I would look at a late Seleucid (205 B.C to 63B.C ish ) they have elephants and scythed chariots in there army a very good army to have in a lot of peoples eyes they have very good foot (Argyraspides ) most of the rules they have them as superior pike ,they can have horse archers as well a they well rounded army ,they have given my Carthaginians a good kicking now and again and are quiet happy to give the romans a kicking as well ..and with a very minimum amount of morphing you can have a Late Ptolemaic/Pergamene army    ;) ;) good shout

just reread your post and I see you friend has a Seleucid army so PtolemaicPergamene is a good shout could look at Pontic army but you will not have your chariots BUT they could have Armenian allies with all that good cav  instead.

Fields Of Glory  is a Very good set of rule that are club use all the time ,but it looks like you have the rules sorted .

Think its a great period to do, Good luck with the army hunting/painting
Happy gaming LR  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:02:54 AM by LawnRanger »