Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:06:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 671
Total: 676

Recent

Author Topic: Losing track of the lead mountain  (Read 6835 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Losing track of the lead mountain
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »
That's a lotta stuff!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 10:19:20 AM »
I have some where close to 10,000 minis so organization is important

Very impressive!

I recently counted my inventory and found 4187.5 painted figures, so there's some way to 10000 still...

(In case you were wondering, I have one painted halfling).

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »
I've only been back into the hobby some 18 months so have a fairly small collection.  If I have more than 30 or so figures unpainted I stop buying until they are done.  (Says the man who just bought 3 churchill's off ebay - but they are Corgi so don't count as Lead Mountain!)  The only exception is when I go mad at Claymore, then that keeps me going until Christmas.  Then it starts again. 

It helped when I realised it isn't a race to get them painted.  That slowed me down. 

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 11:01:44 AM »
I have no system thousands of figures and no way of knowing what is there anymore. I dont really mind as there is so much of everything I can always find something cool even if it was not the thing I was possibly looking for.

True. An added bonus is that you get to browse your collection everytime you want a specific mini  :P
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:21:13 AM by zizi666 »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 10:05:20 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...........

what was the question?  :D

LEAD FOR LEAD GOD!
SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!

:)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »
I hate having a lead mountain. It's a testament to my lack of self-discipline and willpower to have so many projects and odd figures unpainted. I pledged to myself (and MBH) not to buy any figures in 2013 and focus on getting some projects done. On the whole I did well, although I weakened at Britcon, but I've made the pledge again for 2014. Of course, it helps that I'm short of disposable cash right now. ;)
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 01:17:46 PM »
I use a spreadsheet, 1 page per supplier (producing company), packs listed, numbers wanted/bought, prices, and I consult it ever so often to check if I already have something to use for a given project, when a new craze hits me (I usually have  lol ).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 03:32:44 PM »
Over rated virtues in the modern world. Due to advances in tech you no longer need any of either to survive. Its just a fancy way of saying you possess the ability to spoil your own fun.  ;)

lol I'll bear it in mind!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 04:27:26 PM »
As of today, I no longer have to track my lead mountain! My last thing to be sold leaves my house, and I have only my small project on my table. Perfect!

Also, this marks the end of my Lead-Adventure time; LAF is primarily a 28mm world, and I wouldn't want to be tempted back in!

So long, and thanks for all the fish.  lol

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
The number of figures I have now got has become so large that a) I no longer remember everything I've bought/got and b) am in danger of buying duplicates. Has anyone got a system to keep track of the little blighters? 
a Get rid of half of what you got/know b buy less (as i know that to stop buying is impossible for most) Good luck.  8)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »
 lol ;D

Accept your fate, my man! There is no escaping the lure of the lead. Once it's got its claws in you, it will never let you go...

Here, witness my very own decline into madness:

First, a picture of my workbench, when I was just starting out here on LAF, and still had to be weened off a diet of straight GW (of over 20 years):

That was taken somewhere in 2009. My collection of (exclusively GW at the time) bits is stored in those nifty drawers. Note that there are plenty of empty ones... ::) Most spare models are also in those drawers, and vehicles, if any, are stored in those boxes on the shelves on the left.

At this time, I was able to remember each and every bit (even if it were but a sword pommel or a spare head) and pinpoint its location (and its history!). All painted miniatures are in a display cabinet to the left, not visible in this picture.

Move forward 5 years...

Yes; somewhere under there is the very same desk... As you can see, the opened up world of other manufacturers (combined with my increasing disposable income, it must be said) has vastly expanded my collection.

Truth be told though, many of the boxes you see piled on and under the desk here were already in my collection at the time of the first picture, but were stored in a cupboard. However, before the arrival of the larva last year, we had to clear out a room for the nursery, and the contents of the cupboard there had to be moved to the one in my sanctuary, which in turn meant I had to relocate its contents to my desk.

It's temporary, trust me; there's another room being prepared and sanctified as my new geek temple (but then, I've been saying that ever since I bought this house... ::) ).

Still; there's a method to the above mess. Most of the GW stuff is still in those drawers, but has been condensed, to make room for bits and minis of other systems. The green boxes on the shelves have replaced the many different gaming boxes, and store much more on the same shelf space (obviously).

As it is, I have no idea how many miniatures I have collected over the years, but I'd be surprised if the number ran over a thousand. See; many of those green boxes up there contain scenery, as I have no place to store them otherwise, and no fixed table either.

There's one box in particular though, labeled 'New Minis', which forms the core of my Lead Mountain (and Lake Plastic). It's filled to capacity. So much so even, that the lid will not fit properly anymore. In it, are purchases, all made with specific projects in mind, in ziplock bags. Those are the minis that were bought on a whim, were a good deal, or cannot (for the time being) be assigned to running projects.

When I feel the urge for (revisiting) a certain project, I tend to gather everything I have accumulated for said project into one dedicated box, which will then sit on my desk. Until I'm lured away by the next shiny thing that is.  lol

What usually happens then, is that the two (or three, or four :D ) projects mingle on my desk for a while, till I run out of space, and I then store the stalled project away till I hear its siren call again... Despite the desk that looks like the aftermath of a reasonably sized earthquake right now, I like to stay organised.

Heck; I even make spreadsheets, detailing all the elements of a project, in order to make it to its deadline (usually RPG campaign related)! Come to think of it, cataloging all my accumulated stuff is not such a bad idea at all!  But I'd certainly want such a file to also contain the storage location of each mini, as right now, even though I know I have it, I usually have to sort through each and every box (regularly twice) to locate what I am after. Soddin' Murphy...

Still, even with these (apparently) limited numbers of minis, I am now sometimes coming across minis I had forgotten about. But I refuse to see that as a bad sign! :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:19:42 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 06:45:50 PM »
Wow that is almost as bad as my space (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=1997.525:D

I have labeled all my boxes but have set a goal to revamp my system and catalog the contents in a spread sheet. I have done that with a few things but now I want to do it for everything. My purpose is to pare down what I have to keep only what I believe I will enjoy going forward (I am nearing retirement age) That does not mean I will stop my purchases only that I will buy specific things to flesh out my collections. For example I have recently begun purchasing high quality scenery items and tossing my home-made stuff.

Keep on organizing it helps reduce the Mountain of unpainted lead. (Theoretically at least  lol )

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 07:41:06 PM »
I have no system thousands of figures and no way of knowing what is there anymore. I dont really mind as there is so much of everything I can always find something cool even if it was not the thing I was possibly looking for.
lol

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 08:39:23 PM »
 :o I have two of those drawer-boxes - actually, they are in my kitchen right now; I am trying to clear my garage workshop desk of little boxes and bags of screws, nails, bolts, plugs, whatever, so I can actually put the pillar drill I got for Christmas to some hobby use  lol

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 02:31:22 AM »
I cannot see my mountain, the hills are in the way.  lol
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'