Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:18:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: EotD - Coaches and Carriages - review  (Read 6089 times)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
EotD - Coaches and Carriages - review
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »
During the last week I have been putting together the coaches and carriages that I got for Christmas. They look great, but putting them together is not without problems.

Read my full review here: http://londonbymidnight.blogspot.dk/2014/01/eotd-coaches-and-carriages-review.html

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
Re: EotD - Coaches and Carriages - review
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:01:18 AM »
Nice review.
Just noticed though, the Maria has the wheels back to front.

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »
Nice review.
Just noticed though, the Maria has the wheels back to front.
You're right, but that was the only way i could get them to fit - the problem with the axles/large wheels.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
One can't help but wonder if these models were rushed a bit due to the pressure of the kickstarter. Sometimes I wonder if things like this would turn out better if they weren't on a tight deadline. They look pretty good but a few of the details, like the resin passengers, could have been executed much better.  I generally find that things like wagons when made of lead and resin are a pain in the arse to deal with. I'm still trying to figure out how to put together my Dixon stagecoach...

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:00:05 PM »
One can't help but wonder if these models were rushed a bit due to the pressure of the kickstarter. Sometimes I wonder if things like this would turn out better if they weren't on a tight deadline. They look pretty good but a few of the details, like the resin passengers, could have been executed much better.  I generally find that things like wagons when made of lead and resin are a pain in the arse to deal with. I'm still trying to figure out how to put together my Dixon stagecoach...
I think you might be right.

I think I will end up just painting the passengers black, so that the coach looks empty.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:25:36 PM »
Good report. I look forward to seeing them mounted and painted

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:25:11 PM »
I think you might be right.

I think I will end up just painting the passengers black, so that the coach looks empty.
Excellent report it helps me as I wanted some of these. Might I suggest sanding the passengers flat I think they will show even if you paint them black.

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
I loved like 85-90% of the stuff I got from that kickstarter (cost-wise, like 95%+ of figures).  Rules issues aside, I consider that a good turn around for finished-product-sight-unseen purchasing.  Most of the issues I have with that remaining 10-15% are just design departures, like Moriarty not tipping his hat, or the Monster being undersized.  The hansom cabs.... ....the passengers in there, I just don't understand from a design stand-point.  I get that he needed to remove any undercuts for the mold, but the slope of the interior roof literally cuts off the gentleman's head.  I assembled 3/4 with the passengers in place, with the intention of leaving 1 for conversions.  I thinking more and more to dremel off the gent's head and squeezing in a replacement.

I would have also preferred the driver to be totally separate as seen on the other vehicles, but that is minor compared to unintended brain surgery.

Thanks for the review, I hope someone will post one for the time machine and the gyrocopter.  After dealing with the Hansoms, Ive been hesitant to get one until we see some FINAL pics up to see the drivers.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:28:58 PM »
Thanks for the review, I hope someone will post one for the time machine and the gyrocopter.  After dealing with the Hansoms, Ive been hesitant to get one until we see some FINAL pics up to see the drivers.
I agree with that 100%.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 09:06:40 AM »
One can't help but wonder if these models were rushed a bit due to the pressure of the kickstarter. Sometimes I wonder if things like this would turn out better if they weren't on a tight deadline. They look pretty good but a few of the details, like the resin passengers, could have been executed much better.  I generally find that things like wagons when made of lead and resin are a pain in the arse to deal with. I'm still trying to figure out how to put together my Dixon stagecoach...

http://bandit86.blogspot.com/2013/11/empire-of-dead-kickstarter.html
This maybe true but they still paint up really nice here are the ones I did. Now I think I want the fire engine  :)
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »
i'm still unsure of the interest of coaches .

there is a lot of toys who are perfects in size, and just need a little paint job; sold at less than 2£ in auction .

i'm most interested in gyrocopter, but i wait for a review ... dixon stage coach syndrome  >:( ? or eureka mini hansom cab syndrome ? or both ?

( but eureka mini hansom cab is a fantastic mini )

Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
or eureka mini hansom cab syndrome ?
( but eureka mini hansom cab is a fantastic mini )

What's wrong with the eureka mini hansom cab, is it just a pain in the butt to assemble?  I find myself looking for more alternate sources, so I am very curious of your opinion on this.  Thanks.

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »
no, the eureka hansom is not a pain in the ass .
i just had a very bad experience with it and a poor quality glue .

it' really a beautiful mini, quite easy to build,
and easier to build than the dixon stage coach who is a real nightmare .

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 06:02:40 PM »
Thank you LP, also glad I don't have to ask about the stagecoach as I was just going though Dixon's site looking for that and having a terrible time finding it out of a large set with robbers or civilians, and such a large team of horses.  Guess I'll avoid it.

I would really like to find a good source for cheap wheels (besides Grandt line) that are about the same size and style as Westwind's as I would like to try my hand at sculpting the main bodies.

Have to give the other Hansom a try, thanks again.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:43 PM »
Check out the 4ground site they sell lazer cut wheels. While they are not lead they look great and you get quite a few for a fair price.