Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:25:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to decide basing effects?  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
How to decide basing effects?
« on: June 06, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
I've just finished about 40 Pulp figures and need to start basing them. My two main projects are a Sand Pebbles game and a some Pulp era skirmish gaming. I'm kind of tied in a knot trying to decide how to base the figures, and was wondering how you all base your figures.

Do you terrain your bases no matter what you will use the figures for?
For example, if  you are planning a game/campaign in a jungle setting do you base for that. Or do you try to use a generic basing method that will work for any type of game?
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: How to decide basing effects?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 02:25:39 PM »
I base almost all of mine on a more or less generic base with mixed sand and static grass. The only exceptions I can think of at the moment are my gangsters. I put them on bases terrained to look like pavement or sidewalks.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »
I base mine the same as Aaron. No matter what you do, your bases are not going to match every potential scenario. I just go for consistency between models.

Although, I have see some figures based on clear acrylic disks so they matched any terrain.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:54:11 PM »
I always base my figures with sand and loose vegitation.

It works out well.  The only time it looks a little odd from an astetic point is when the characters are on board a ship but usually the bow of the ship obscures the base.

I have a very simple basing method I've used over the years.

I have two plastic bowels with lids.  One contains sand gathered from a sandbox at a local playground.  There are usually very tiny stones mixed in here which look great.  Don't use dirt.  It has too much organic matter in it.  The other has assorted fine cheap herbs (from the dollar store) and a few tiny pieces of static grass mixed in.

I cover the base with a generous quantity of white glue (PVA) whatever you call it or brush it on after the figure is painted. 

Then I dunk the base of the figure in the bowel so that the base is submerged in the herbs.  Then I immediately dab and shake some of the loose matter off off.  Without applying more glue I then do the exact same with the sand container and shake the loose material off.

While the material is still wet I adjust the vegtable material with a small sharp object pointing the grass and weed pieces straight up.  The end result appears to be loose patchy vegitation growing up through the dirt. 

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:59:02 PM by gauntman »
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »
I base my minis on dried earth (modelled with car filler) I want to add static grass to them some day, but never found time to do so.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »
Slightly off topic but Gauntman how did you do the water on your swamp/pond base ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 02:36:50 AM »
I took tin foil and made a basin.  Then I hotglued the edges to the base.  So I had a recptical that would actually hold the liquid.

Then I painted the tin foil hole black.  I used woodland scenics water and took a very small ammount of swamp green paint and swirled it into the water while it was wet.  The water has some shrinkage so I had to do a few layers of water. 

Then when the water was done I concentrated back on the surrounding scenery.

The tree stumps are Pumpkin Stalks, I rounded up during Halloween.

I wanted a smaller swamp so I sold this masterpiece on ebay for a few bucks. 

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 08:13:12 AM »
Thank you.
That swirling green looks like a piece of modern art.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »
I was going for "Pond Scum".

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »
For my various Pulp figures, I've tried to make their bases thematic to the characters. Obviously, if they're likely to be outside a lot then they get the standard sand + static grass treatment (probably the easiest method). Like Aaron, my Cops & Gangsters are modelled to be standing on pavement. My Sky Pirates are modelled to be standing on futuristic metal decking. Toffs & Swells are modelled to be standing on oriental rugs :o . I haven't gotten around to basing my Bob Murch Pulp Songstress (the one with the microphone) but I'm going to have her standing on the boards of a stage. I use the round dished Privateer Press slottabases, so the rounded edge of the base provides a neutral area between the figure and their environment and each figure becomes their own little artistic vignette (or so I hope...).
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »

But it's very artistic pond scum  lol

I like the effect, though - it gives a great impression of depth.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 04:27:11 PM »

But it's very artistic pond scum  lol

I like the effect, though - it gives a great impression of depth.

The pumpkin stem tree stumps were a brilliant idea too... :-*

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 01:20:24 AM »
The Pumpkin stems were wonderful stumps.  I'll be raiding those pumpkin patches again this next year.

None will be safe...

Mu Hah hah hah....

Offline Swampfox

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 01:19:55 AM »
I base all my mummies and Egyptian adventurers on pure sand bases. The rest get bases for their probable regions.

This is not model railroading. We will never be able to base our figures for all locales we'll probably use them in. Compromise is typical.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 05:04:12 AM »
Compromise is typical.

What he said there.

I do most of my 28mm figs on generic grit + static grass/flocking bases.

The cavemen are on bases with coarser grit and more flocking. So are the big game hunters, and some of the generic adventurer types.

A few of the ship crew types have bases painted to resemble wooden decking/planks. Most are generic grit + flocking.

Most of the air crew/airship crew/pilot types have grey bases with metal "plates" picked out in black and silver. A few of them have the generic grit + flocking.

Gangsters & cops, when I buy & paint some, will have a mix of pavement effects and (you guessed it) the generic grit + flocking.

I also base on pennies, so barely 20mm across, instead of the typical 25mm or more slottabases and such. Smaller bases FTW.