Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:24:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691097
  • Total Topics: 118372
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Across the Dead Earth - Pre-Orders Now Live! (UD 14/06/14)  (Read 54958 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Across the Dead Earth - New Sculpt: Fatboy! (UD 22/1/14)
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »
Title changed re new crowdfunding rule  :)

Steve (mod)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 11:13:02 PM »
Glad you're liking the sculpts, Steve. 8)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 11:38:09 PM »

I do Andrew, most cool  :D

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 02:01:37 AM »
Nice sculpting from Andrew there!  Always a pleasure to see his new sculpts.  :D
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 02:49:38 AM »

Most impressive.

'said the Master to the Padawan......'

Only kidding.
I am seriously jealous and inspired.

Taking notes, mate.
 ;)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »
The hardest thing is making the figures interesting, pose-wise but keeping them really simple for casting purposes, I was really pleased with the second guy in those regards. Sorry I've not been around the forum much, it's all go here!

Offline Adm Richie

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »
We're doing our best to keep you busy!

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 06:49:18 PM »
Nice sculpts and the background is interesting. Nice to see something like this set in the UK as well. Following with interest.

Offline Adm Richie

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 09:14:34 PM »
Cheers! As a Birmingham resident myself you'll see quite a few references in the background and fiction.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 07:02:28 PM »
Awesome I shall look forward to spotting them.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 07:39:33 PM »

Really nice stuff Andrew....  Cheers!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »
Fatboy looks good - he clearly hasn't been missing any meals, but you also get the feeling that under the flab there's a slab of muscle like a hardwood table. Not someone you underestimate - more than once...
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »
I really do love the sculpts - my only comment is that 'm a little dispointed at Fatboy's armament going from a Crossbow (widely available in the UK, and can be picked up a quite a few outdoors shops) in the illustration to an RPG on the figure (definitely on the 'very rare' edge of availability!).

I do hope that the rest of  the figures are armed a bit more sedately, as one of the things which will define the game as being a 'British Post Apocalypse' setting as opposed to a more generic one is the comparative lack of fire arms, and the form those Fire-arms take (doube barrel shotguns a plenty, fewer hunting rifles and illegally held hand guns, with the SA80 , MP5 & G36 as the primary auomtic weapons, with the Mac-10, sten gun, aK-47 and stirling being much rarer..)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »
I really do love the sculpts - my only comment is that 'm a little dispointed at Fatboy's armament going from a Crossbow (widely available in the UK, and can be picked up a quite a few outdoors shops) in the illustration to an RPG on the figure (definitely on the 'very rare' edge of availability!).

I do hope that the rest of  the figures are armed a bit more sedately, as one of the things which will define the game as being a 'British Post Apocalypse' setting as opposed to a more generic one is the comparative lack of fire arms, and the form those Fire-arms take (doube barrel shotguns a plenty, fewer hunting rifles and illegally held hand guns, with the SA80 , MP5 & G36 as the primary auomtic weapons, with the Mac-10, sten gun, aK-47 and stirling being much rarer..)

I agree, the RPG and other heavy weaps seem to place this more in the USA than in the UK...  As a Yank I'm not complaining, but I thought the same when I saw the sculpts.  Now if he had a homemade flamethrower....

Offline Adm Richie

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »
The crossbow hasn't gone, it's just been given, or rather WILL be given, to another member of the squad. In playtesting Fatboy's Gang were great up close and personal but lacked a little firepower when it came to range, and against a Gang with Assault Rifles could sometimes get outgunned. So the number one reason for the change there was a gameplay one, and at the end of the day the gameplay is always going to be the most important factor.

Re: the availability of weapons, I agree to an extent, though it should be recalled that this game is not immediately post-apocalypse, but 3rd generation. The reason it's an RPG7 and not a weapon ever issued to the UK forces is that we're not suggesting it was found or scavenged in the U.K. but traded with a Gang from elsewhere, it being a much more common weapon in the Mid/East European black market (apparently).
The Red Claw and Adam's Family are successful Gangs, they make money and they trade, not to mention killing other's and taking their weapons, so it only makes sense they are relatively tooled up! They are not "the norm", even in the small population of the game world, and Fatboy is the only character in the 6-7 factions to have an RPG - to him it's a status symbol as much as a weapon, it says he's dangerous, and that he's REALLY GOOD at being dangerous.

Other factions will be armed very differently. The Forset-kin gangs, for example, won't have any guns except shotguns. Shotguns are by far the most common throughout the designed factions so far and rifles, bows and crossbows will show up a lot. At the moment there's probably a few too many handguns and pistols in the rules, but on the other hand, there are a LOT of pistols owned illegally in the U.K. Well, there are her ein Birmingham anyway, I got sent home from work during the riots so that the police could come and do their forensic magic with a gunshot through our office window! 

Thanks for all the continued interest and support everybody, in case you've missed it there's the chance to get oyur hands on the first batch of these three figures by sharing our Facebook page.