Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:50:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690814
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Siege of San Augustin (A Shoot N' Skedaddle Battle Report)  (Read 8758 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
The Siege of San Augustin (A Shoot N' Skedaddle Battle Report)
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »
The Siege of San Augustin
A Shoot N’ Skedaddle Battle Report

Introduction
   The following battle report was inspired by a few things.  I had realized I had never played a game of SnS using my nice Crescent Root Studios adobe buildings I had gathered.  I also had spare time and a nice table set-up and I figured I’d take advantage of it.  The report should serve as light entertainment and should provide an insight on how the Shoot N’ Skedaddle game works.

Background
   San Augustin is a small town just South of the border.  It is walled in, bordering a small creek.  It features several horse corrals and a small well (used when the wash runs dry six months out of the year).  By sheer circumstance a small posse of lawmen find themselves accepting the hospitality of San Augustin when the trouble starts.  A local group of wild outlaws prepare to descend on the town, intent on horse thievin’ and pillaging.  The lawmen have other plans.

San Augustin

San Augustin

Scenario

This game will pit five Lawmen against a gang of ten Outlaws.  The Lawmen will begin the game inside the town of San Augustin, while the Outlaws will begin on three random board edges.  One board edge will be nominated as the Lawmen’s board edge – their escape route and location for reinforcements.

Lawmen Objectives
   The Lawmen must prevent the Outlaws from looting valuables or stealing horses.  Any valuables or horses destroyed by the Lawmen count toward an Outlaw victory.  If the Lawmen choose to exit one Lawman off of their table edge (as he makes a run for the nearest telegraph station) they may increase the Outlaws objective goal from six items to eight items.

Outlaw Objectives

The Outlaws must loot valuables (perform two actions on a pile of equipment to loot it and remove it from the tabletop) and steal horses (ride or lead a horse off one of the Outlaw table edges).  There are eight piles of equipment and three horses, for a total of eleven targets.  If the Outlaws loot or steal six of the target items, they have won the game.

Special Decks
   Normal Outlaw and Lawmen special decks are in use for this game.  However, I have added three Objective cards per deck to add some variety to the game.

Lawmen Objective A: Two reinforcement characters arrive on horseback.  Add their cards to the       activation deck immediately.

Lawmen Objective B: The monsoon season arrives with a bang.  The shallow portions of the       creek are no longer passable, only the bridge.

Lawmen Objective C: Lucky day.  The Outlaws’ cannon suffers a breakdown on the way to its    position, or while firing.  Ignore or terminate the Outlaw Objective B card.

Outlaw Objective A: A single character arrives, leading a pack mule loaded with weapons.  Add      this character to the activation deck immediately.  Any character in the Outlaw gang may perform an action while adjacent to the mule to draw a single weapon card.  Limit one      per customer!

Outlaw Objective B: BOOM!  The Outlaws have sighted in a cannon on a nearby ridge.  You      may add a joker to the activation deck.  When drawn, place a template and scatter it 2D6”.  Damage is dealt as per the cannon card.  Two points of damage will destroy an      equipment pile, which counts as being looted.

Outlaw Objective C
: Paperwork!  The Lawmen’s friends are held up at a border crossing by    Mexican police.  When the Lawmen Objective A is drawn, the characters must wait to    enter until the next turn.  If already played, this card is discarded.

Gangs and Posses

Using normal Shoot N’ Skedaddle rules I drew out the five man Lawmen posse.  Here is what chance handed me:

1)   Bounty Hunter with a derringer and heavy sixgun.
2)   Townsperson with a mare’s leg.
3)   Townsperson with a shotgun.
4)   Hired Gun with a knife and shotgun.
5)   Cowboy with a lasso and sixgun.

The Lawmen Posse

This was a shockingly poor draw for the Lawmen and I immediately doubted the chance of these fellas holding out against anyone, let alone twice their number.  I drew the Outlaw gang and the news became worse…

1)   Pinkerton with a lever action rifle.
2)   Cowboy with a lasso and heavy sixgun.
3)   Townsperson with a muzzle loading pistol.
4)   Indian Scout with a heavy sixgun.
5)   Bushwacker with a lever action rifle.
6)   Hired Gun with a stick of dynamite, derringer and a carbine.
7)   Hired Gun with a stick of dynamite and a sixgun.
8)   Thief with a disguise and shotgun.
9)   Business Tycoon with a muzzle loading rifle.
10)   Drifter (!) with a sawed off shotgun, knife, and heavy sixgun.
11)   Pony Express Rider with twin sixguns (on a thoroughbred mount).

The Outlaw Gang

This was a shockingly great draw for the Outlaws.  Drawing the Business Tycoon had handed them an additional Hired Gun, and the Drifter is without question the deadliest character in the deck.  Loaded up with dynamite and plenty of secondary weapons the Outlaws were cruising for a victory before the game even began.  With the Bushwacker deploying early on the table, and the Thief in disguise and likely able to infiltrate the village…things were looking grim.

Deployment

I assigned each table edge a letter (A-D) and rolled a scatter dice.  The Lawmen board edge would be table edge A.  I deployed the Lawmen in the town, mostly hidden in the bottom story of adobe structures (being outnumbered more than 2:1 meant being outdoors would be nearly suicidal!).
   I then deployed the Outlaws, placing a Cowboy and Indian Scout with the disguised Thief on table edge B.  I placed the Indian Scout, Pony Express and Business Tycoon on table edge C, and then placed a four man “power team” on table edge D as it was the closest to the town.  This consisted of the Pinkerton, Drifter and both Hired Guns (a nearly unstoppable group considering the Lawmen’s poor draw of characters…).
   The Bushwacker was placed on one of the adobe structures, on an outdoor stairway – within one move of a hapless Townsperson.  If I was lucky he’d get the jump on them, and secure a crucial overlook position on the inside of the town before the Lawmen could react.

The Bushwacker is deployed in town right off the bat!

San Augustin – Table edge A to the left, B to the top, C to the right, and D to the bottom.

Turn One
   In Shoot N’ Skedaddle each character is given two matching poker cards on which they activate.  These are shuffled into the deck (the Drifter activates on three cards because he’s…well…awesome) and drawn by the player(s).  Two aces are added for each side.  When drawn I draw a single card from the respective special deck.  When the activation deck is depleted, the turn is over – the deck is reshuffled and the next turn begins.

The game kicked off with the silence shattered by a shotgun blast.  One of the Lawmen’s townies had run out, firing his shotgun at point blank range at the Bushwacker.  Unfortunately he missed, blowing cracked adobe all over the stairs.  

The Bushwacker is confronted by a Townsperson, but luckily survives

He hurriedly retreated, frantically reloading his shotgun.  Nearby the Pony Express rider galloped up leaping into one of the corrals, prepared to steal one of the horses.  One of the Lawmen’s Cowboys stepped out, firing his sixgun to no avail.  Moments later he was gunned down by the sly Pinkerton, sitting in some scrub just on the outskirts of town.

The Pony Express Rider is already in the corral, stealing horses!

The Lawmen’s Cowboy attempts to stop him, but is gunned down.

All around the board the Outlaw gang flooded toward the town and its hopeless defenders.  The Thief snuck across the bridge, hopping over the barricade with ease, all the while looking the part of a lost resident of San Augustin who’d just found his way home…
   The Hired Guns moved up and began looting one of the piles of equipment on the outskirts of the town.  

A Hired Gun begins to loot the town’s goods.

The Lawmen’s Bounty Hunter neared the Thief (by moving close he attempts to spook the Thief into blowing his disguise…unfortunately he holds his nerve).  The Hired Gun working with the Lawmen slinked out of his adobe hut, seeking to find a location of advantage on the group of hardened Outlaws.
   The first lucky card came up for the Lawmen.  This special card allowed them to remove one weak willed opponent from the game.  The only suitable character was a lowly Outlaw Townsperson, but this at least brought the game down to 10 vs. 5.  Every little bit helps!
   As the Outlaw Hired Gun was rummaging through some goods a Townsperson in the window above him stuck his mare’s leg out, firing wildly, hitting nothing.  A moment later the Townsperson was joined by another Townsperson…this one toting a sawed off shotgun! (The Lawmen had drawn another special card allowing them to add a Townsperson to their posse – now the playing field was 10 vs. 6!  If the Lawmen’s uncanny lucky in drawing cards from their special deck held, they might be in better shape.)
   The wall under heaviest attack became a smoky confusing affair.  Two Townies above firing their shotguns and lever guns as the Hired Guns below advanced, firing back into the windows.  The Lawmen’s own Hired Gun entered the fray near the end of the turn, firing a slug into one of his opponents, wounding him.  The sly Pinkerton kept to the trees, shooting and wounding one of the Townies who was silly enough to step outside his room.  The Drifter even emptied his sawed off shotgun with no result.  In the confusion three characters were wounded, and empty shotgun casings clattered to the ground all around.

The fight intensifies on the side wall.

Nearby the Bushwacker recovered from the shock of his near death by shotgun, and ran up the stairs.  He found a Townsperson frantically trying to break open his shotgun.  The Bushwacker spat his tobacco on the floor and emptied his lever action rifle into him.  He slumped over dead.

The Bushwacker hunts down and murders the Townsperson.

With only a few cards to go in Turn One I realized that neither of the Outlaw special cards had been drawn yet…they would be in the last four cards of the turn!
   As the result of one card, one of the wounded Townies pissed himself when he realized who he was fighting, becoming shocked with fear.  The other card was Objective B.  This meant the Outlaw’s cannon would join the fray in Turn Two.

The recent addition to the Posse pisses himself when he realizes he’s facing the Drifter.

The state of San Augustin at the end of Turn One.

Turn Two

Turn Two started off badly for the Lawmen.  They were already down two characters, with a third wounded.  Now the Outlaws made off with one horse (the Pony Express Rider took one off the table – since the PER is not a strong combatant I decided I could spare him).  The Business Tycoon mounted a second horse, leading a third.  The Thief, Indian Scout and Hired Gun had all looted stock piles at least one action.  The Bushwacker was in a commanding position in town and armed with a lever action rifle.

The Business Tycoon mounts a horse and grabs the reigns to another.

The Pony Express Rider makes off with a stolen horse.

Then the pendulum swung in the other direction.  Drawing both of their special cards in short order, the Bounty Hunter came out, found the Thief in the process of pillaging and shot him through the shoulder with a heavy sixgun, wounding him.  

The Bounty Hunter pops a shot into the Thief at close range.

Across town, the lowly wounded Townsperson used a free activation to load his sawed off shotgun and move out of harm’s way.  The Drifter and Lawmen Hired Gun hid on opposite sides of a wagon, both loading shotguns.

The Drifter and Lawmen Hired Gun both reload, using the same wagon for cover!

The Bushwacker in town spent both of his activations firing wildly at any Lawmen he could see – striking none.
   Then it happened.  One of the moments where a silly rash decision pays off.  I had used a free activation to load the wounded Townsperson’s shotgun shortly after I had moved the Drifter to the wagon.  Being shocked and unloaded, I had assumed the Townsperson to be out of the fight for the turn.  I was wrong.  Wounded (suffering penalties to all of his already crap stats…) the Townsperson stepped up…and fired his sawed off shotgun.  The blast smeared the Drifter’s corpse all over the side of the wagon.

The lowly Townsperson delivers a brutal shotgun blast to the back of the Drifter’s head…

The best character in the game had been laid low by a wounded Townsperson (arguably the worst character in the game).  All at the hands of a little sawed off shotgun.  Perhaps the tide was turning?
   Around the town, more Outlaws continued to loot, grabbing up one pile of goods.  The cannon sounded on the hillside, exploding harmlessly in the center of town.  The Outlaws set off some sabotage explosives, but they fizzled out before going off.  The Outlaws then drew their Objective C card, meaning that whenever the Lawmen’s reinforcements arrived they’d have to wait until the next turn to enter the game.

The cannon fires into town, accomplishing little.

A Hired Gun catches several rounds in the back as he loots a pile of equipment…

In town the Indian Scout and Thief both finished looting two piles of equipment (Outlaw Score: 3).  The deadly firefight proved even more so.  The Pinkerton calmly adjusted his aim, gunning down the proud Townsperson a moment after he had shot dead the Drifter.  As the Pinkerton worked the lever on his rifle he was shot in the thigh by the nearby Hired Gun, hiding behind his wagon.  The death toll was rising, bodies scattered around the building.  The remaining wounded Outlaw Hired Gun had slinked off in search of loot, wishing to avoid any more gunfire.

The fight at the bloody wall gathers more victims.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:41:34 PM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Siege of San Augustin (A Shoot N' Skedaddle Battle Report)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »
Turn Three
   Turn Three was looking pretty good for the Outlaws.  Despite unexpectedly stiff resistance from a bunch of weak Townies, they had scored three points, and had more horses in possession and a handful of characters had infiltrated the town and could finish up stealing goods.  That was the idea anyway.  Moments into Turn Three a Townie stepped out, wildly blazing away with his mare’s leg.  He caught the remaining Outlaw Hired Gun trying to pillage a pile of equipment, and he dropped like a rock.

The vengeful Townsperson claims his second victim, gunning down another Outlaw.

Across the street, the Bounty Hunter used a special card to call the Thief into a shootout.  Wounded, the Thief stood little chance and a single bullet from the Bounty Hunter finished the event.  The Bushwacker and Business Tycoon were already making for the table edge, keen to avoid any more gunfire during their heist.

The Bounty Hunter calls out the Thief.  It is a short fight.

The Outlaws used a special card to set one of the buildings ablaze.  This would force the Townie out, possibly injuring him in the process.  While the building caught fire, the Indian Scout leapt over the wall, greedily grabbing up more plunder (Outlaw Score: 4).
   The building blazing, the Townie ran down the stairs, badly burned as he ran for his life.  Nearby the Lawmen’s Hired Gun let his deadly shotgun boom again, and an enemy Cowboy sprawled lifeless over a pile of goods.  

The Lawmen’s Hired Gun delivers justice…with the barrel of his shotgun.

The Bounty Hunter was running full speed in hot pursuit of the now fleeing Business Tycoon.  As the Business Tycoon galloped closer and closer to the table edge, the Bushwacker fired aimlessly at the Bounty Hunter.  The Indian Scout and Pinkerton joined up in cover, preparing their own escape.

The Bounty Hunter struggles to chase down the fleeing Outlaws as they make away with the rest of the horses.

Turn Four
   The final turn was over in seconds.  As if to add insult to injury the cannon on the hillside finally struck home, blasting the Lawmen’s Hired Gun into red mist.  Across town the Bounty Hunter activated twice.  He had two chances to injure or stop the Business Tycoon as he rode for the table edge.  His first activation he stumbled over a fence.  Not in range he turned his pistols on the nearby Bushwacker with no effect.  I drew his activation card again, the next card!  He stumbled into the brush and trees and fired both of his heavy sixguns in desperation.  Both shots zipped wide of his mark.

The Business Tycoon disappears into the wilderness, stolen horses with him.

As luck would have it the next activation was the Business Tycoon.  Riding a stolen horse and leading another he galloped off the board.  Outlaw Score: 6.

Thoughts
   I debated re-drawing the characters when I initially drew them…having drawn such poor characters for the Lawmen.  I was amazed at the luck of the cards and dice, allowing me to put up such a stiff defense.  I may have become too caught up in the “power group” attacking my one wall, leaving the horse corrals and several equipment piles open (particularly after both Lawmen on that side of town were killed nearly immediately).  I had to constantly remind myself during the game that the objective was loot and horses…and had to fight the urge to stick around and fight it out with the Lawmen.
   The gunfight at the bloody wall was amazing.  Shotguns and sixguns blazing away.  The death count for the game was as follows:

Lawmen
1)   Bounty Hunter with a derringer and heavy sixgun. (Alive)
2)   Townsperson with a mare’s leg. (Wounded)
3)   Townsperson with a shotgun. (Dead)
4)   Hired Gun with a knife and shotgun. (Dead)
5)   Cowboy with a lasso and sixgun. (Dead)
6)   (Added) Townsperson with sawed off shotgun. (Dead)

Outlaws
1)   Pinkerton with a lever action rifle. (Wounded)
2)   Cowboy with a lasso and heavy sixgun. (Dead)
3)   Townsperson with a muzzle loading pistol. (Fled)
4)   Indian Scout with a heavy sixgun. (Alive)
5)   Bushwacker with a lever action rifle. (Alive)
6)   Hired Gun with a stick of dynamite, derringer and a carbine. (Dead)
7)   Hired Gun with a stick of dynamite and a sixgun. (Dead)
8)   Thief with a disguise and shotgun. (Dead)
9)   Business Tycoon with a muzzle loading rifle. (Alive)
10)   Drifter (!) with a sawed off shotgun, knife, and heavy sixgun. (Dead)
11)   Pony Express Rider with twin sixguns (on a thoroughbred mount). (Alive)

All in all a very enjoyable game which took perhaps 1.5 hours (a bit more perhaps do to the pictures and typing up the game).  I never made it to receive any reinforcements and I now debate if I should have run a Lawmen character off the board to push the Outlaws to score 8 instead of 6.  A very fun scenario…one I might run at a convention or have the brother come over to check it out.  Hope you didn’t mind the read and pictures.  If you have any questions, fire away!

RESULT: Outlaw Victory (Score: 6)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:44:51 PM by Elbows »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
I do love a wander around your Old West tables, Elbows.
Just pure eye-candy and full of inspiration..
 :-* 8) :-*

I will have to pop back later to read the AAR properly as I intend give my SNS cards a run-out soon.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »
Marvelous! And the adobe buildings look fantastic.
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline colkillgore

• Assistant
    • My Little World of Dementia
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 04:03:05 PM »
That is a great lokking collection of terrain and miniatures. I am going to have to make a convention and play a game or two.

ColKG
My gaming blog, My Little world of Dementia

http://mlwodementia.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »
Scott, a bunch of us are attending Siege of Augusta - though I'm not planning on hosting this go-round (may change my mind and bring the stuff just in case tables are empty on Friday afternoon, not sure).  You going to be able to make it down?

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »
Very - very - very - nice game table!  :o :)

Offline pinny

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:42:13 PM »
Who is the maker of the big bellied bearded man with the pistol on the lawmans side?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 12:09:54 AM »
The big bellied pistoleer (and his big bellied brother with a shotgun) are both from Black Scorpion (in fact my entire range is almost all Black Scorpion with a handful of Brigade Games bushwackers, and some re-purposed Perry Civil War cavalry).

Offline pinny

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 06:57:17 AM »
The big bellied pistoleer (and his big bellied brother with a shotgun) are both from Black Scorpion (in fact my entire range is almost all Black Scorpion with a handful of Brigade Games bushwackers, and some re-purposed Perry Civil War cavalry).

I thought that would be the case, too big for my foundry and artizan

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »
That was nice !

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 10:25:06 AM »
Great AAR - very cool.

S&S sounds like the kinda game that with a bit of strategy and luck you can turn a "lost hope" game into a win.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »
Well...it was designed based on a few parameters.

1) I can't abide power gamers.
2) I dislike people who take a fun game a bit too seriously.
3) I hate mathematical impossibilities and being able to pre-measure a game several turns out.
4) I generally dislike any system which requires you to build a force through "points".
5) I dislike intensely "I go, you go" games (namely when they involve the whole side).

Thus...

1) In a normal game your characters and equipment are determined randomly.
2) The special decks allow players to change their fortunes or turn the game on its ear...so a super-strategic player can never plan for everything.
3) With the special decks and character special rules you can rarely calculate "that guy has activated twice so he's done..." and since characters can move up to 24" in a single turn (on foot!) almost nothing on the board is out of reach.  I used to absolutely despise LOTOW for this particularly.  If a character was X number of inches away, you could tell several turns prior that you'd never catch them.
4) While dollar values are used for the campaign...again forces are drawn randomly (though you can use the system without this feature) so sides will never be even, even if they have the same number of characters.  Someone will always have the "better" draw.
5) The poker card activation has long been a favorite of mine...double cards even moreso (occasionally allowing someone to go twice in a row, or go first...and dead last...etc.)

^The above picture was the very last moments of a game at a convention about 3-4 months ago.  The game was using a table a bit too large and a stalemate had developed in the center of town.  The Lawmen had come to put a stop to a wedding they disagreed with.  The soon-to-be-husband had been gunned down...and the woman was the last chance, attempting to run off the board.  I had three children in the game, and several adults.  What had started off as a dry stand-off with firearms turned into a maddened chase down one side of the board.  She stole a horse from a friendly Outlaw player (who had drawn the horse randomly to start with)...then made a run for it, narrowly avoiding a hidden prostitute who finally revealed her intentions by shooting at her.  The wave of Lawmen scrambled for the far corner.

The last turn the Lawmen fired and shot the horse and she became shocked, falling off the horse, unable to activate.  They charged through a small gap in the buildings...only to have one of the barrels explode with a sabotage card, killing/maiming three or four characters.  The kids at this point were jumping up and down frantically.  We shuffled up the next turn.  First card: woman escapes, running off the board.  It was a perfect example of "You can't plan for everything" which I try to bring to the table with SnS.  For that very reason I suspect some people may not even like the game... lol

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 01:37:35 PM »
Well...it was designed based on a few parameters.

1) I can't abide power gamers.
2) I dislike people who take a fun game a bit too seriously.
3) I hate mathematical impossibilities and being able to pre-measure a game several turns out.
4) I generally dislike any system which requires you to build a force through "points".
5) I dislike intensely "I go, you go" games (namely when they involve the whole side).

Thus...

1) In a normal game your characters and equipment are determined randomly.
2) The special decks allow players to change their fortunes or turn the game on its ear...so a super-strategic player can never plan for everything.
3) With the special decks and character special rules you can rarely calculate "that guy has activated twice so he's done..." and since characters can move up to 24" in a single turn (on foot!) almost nothing on the board is out of reach.  I used to absolutely despise LOTOW for this particularly.  If a character was X number of inches away, you could tell several turns prior that you'd never catch them.

Sounds just like the sort of game/rules I enjoy playing, I'll have to get hold of a copy.

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com