Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:48:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: McMordain's Workbench  (Read 11650 times)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
Re: McMordain's Workbench
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »
So these are the WM minis I have to paint for my friend ( at the moment). A unit of nyss hunters and a solo, Sylys Wyshnalyrr. Also I decided to paint my Sylys as well, that's why there is two of them.

The unit is converted, which was done by somebody else. GW wood/dark elf heads and arms on the nyss bodies. They are not bad, theoretically ready to paint, but I cannot respect a modeller/painter who doesn't bother to remove mould lines... I have to remove those, and repair some minor damage.

So roughly three years ago it occurred to me that the Legend of the Old West rules should be compatible with the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game. Basically the former is based on the latter. I grabbed my outlaw posse from a former LotOW campaign worth roughly 500$, put together a 500 point Isengard army and asked one of my friend, who similarly likes silly things, to test my theory in practice. And it worked. The game was fun and he wanted to play it again.
Here is a not too good pic of the setup of the first game.

Unfortunately my friend went abroad shortly after that so the continuation was put on hold. We played again a year later when he came home for a week. He moved back here a year ago and never stopped nagging me about the game. Various things kept me from playing but a month ago we played again. I made some ad hoc narrative for the three games and made up the next game keeping future developments in sight.
Also so far we used whatever figures I had, painted or not, but for the next game I want a nice board and fully painted minis.
I will use these guys as the monks of the abbey

Granted they are smaller than the Black Scorpion and GW Lotr figures but I don't care  :D
More will follow.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016, 08:12:08 PM »
The walls are done, only need to paint the "legs". I also repaired the small building, and started the bigger one.

I made a water well as well.

But I need to start painting the figs and I don't have enough space to do both at the same time. So the abbey was put aside for now and I cleaned my table for painting.
We have guest this week, so I don't know how much free time I will have till they leave on Monday. At least I want to clean them up.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 09:24:55 PM »
Some excellent progress.

You don't get your guests to assist with wargaming projects?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 09:15:57 PM »
Some excellent progress.

You don't get your guests to assist with wargaming projects?

Thanks.
Not these kind of guests :). My parents are members of Friendship Force, and our current guests came form Japan. They spend most of the day going around tourist sites and come back late afternoon. So I have circa two hours to do stuff at home after work, then I go into translator mode, as I'm the most proficient English speaker in the family. But it's always interesting to have guests from abroad so I don't mind.
As a gift for them I plan to paint these two Prince August hussars as members of the 10th Hussars (King Frederick William II of Prussia's), an Imperial and Royal Hussars regiment.

Here is the finished small building

The gate section is painted but it's base still needs to be done.

And my cleaned workplace. It will not stay so tidy for long... :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 09:38:33 PM »
Good idea with that cake-box for keeping dust and paint splatter off the minis! I may nick that for when I get enough clutter cleared away from my work areas  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 01:49:56 AM »
Argonor - even smaller containers are great for this task. I use take away-sized containers to ensure my half painted minis are protected. Slow painter and all that.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
Ahoy!

So what did I do in the last couple of weeks.

Well I finished the hussars for the guests. No pics because I finished them in the last minute and forgot to take some, before they packed it away...

I also painted a bunch of Prince August fantasy figures for a school festival/sale. My old elementary school has this thing every year around sept 29, and they always invite me. So I take my casting stuff and some painted figs and spend two hours casting little soldiers with children. I'm always the last one to leave.  lol I'm popular with the kids.

This year I prepared this lot, and though I couldn't finish all, I still took 40 figures and sold around 30 of them.

One of my colleagues son goes to this school and she asked me if I could paint some Lord of the Rings figures for his birthday. She wanted a Legolas, a Gimli and an orc. And her daughter wanted two horses. I said sure why not, it's not like I have to paint up a dozen WM figures for the same weekend...  o_o I'm not good at saying no to requests.

Legolas needed a headswap because the elven archer mould I have has a cap, and the mother wanted blond hair. Also his mouth is not so creepy in person. :D

The daughter wanted a brown horse with blond mane and a white horse. The white one I was not entirely satisfied with, but I was told she liked them so that's ok.

I also worked hard on the Nyss hunters, Sylys and a dwarf mortar team for my friend, but I couldn't finish them in time. They were ok for the tournament, just not done. He won so at least that's something. I will get them back this weekend to finish the job.

After that back to the Ork vs Cowboys project.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 09:15:39 AM »
Well done - always nice to spread happiness to others.

Also his mouth is not so creepy in person. :D

Can't work out if it's badly applied lipstick or screaming everytime an orc get an arrow in the eye. :D