Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: McMordain's Workbench  (Read 11645 times)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
McMordain's Workbench
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:08:32 AM »
Ahoy!

This will be the first time I post my work here. I decided to start the year with some converting for two Pulp Alley leagues. Due to the player composition of my club instead of a traditional pulp setting, we will play sci-fi/fanatsy stuff (if I can bug them enough to actually play...).
I plan to run a longer campaign, with me as the GM. So I put together two NPC Leagues.

The first band is retinue of The Baron of Gromund:

The big ape is Zorg (sidekick), the Baron's bodyguard, in the middle the Baron (leader)himself and right of him is his spy master, Finigen (sidekick). Not much converting on these, the Baron got a pistol which needs some holder sculpted.

In the middle is Captain Trakan (ally), officer of the Palace Guards. He is converted from an old Warzone Bauhaus officer. The two Palace Guard (followers) either side of him are also Bauhaus troopers. The two metal guy on the edges are Combat Droids (followers). I gave them a shield and an axe. Luckily I had two identical axe in my bitz box, that fitt them perfectly. (Also my camera fu got rusty, so I will make better pictures tomorrow.)

The other league is an inter dimensional space-time pirate crew, lead by Captain Luna Sariss.

The captain (in the middle) is used without any modification, I just cut away her base. Right of her is the first mate, Mr. Gunn (sidekick). He is an Alkemy figure with an added revolver. He cannot shoot in the game, but I like multi purpose figures, and he looks cool with it. The lady with the big gun is named One-eye (ally) for the moment, she is the sniper in the crew. She probably will get a new name. I changed first half of the rifle and added a sword to her back.
In the back is two able seamen (followers), Mr. Dirk and Mr. Jones. The lad with the chest got a breather mask to make him more modern looking. The peg legged fellow will get a new gun, but i can't decide which one to choose. He will get a pair of grenades as well.

The ray-gun has that retro feel which I like a lot, but I think he would look badass with the smg as well. Can you guys help me decide this?

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: McMordain's Workbench
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:28:59 AM »
Nice collection - looking forward to the painting.

And definitely the SMG (makes him a multi-purpose figure).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:41:07 AM »
I vote the space gun, because it fits more with this wonderfully silly universe, but I agree the SMG would give the figure greater utility in other games. I'm not sure how many different campaigns/setting you're going to run with crazy modernized pirates, but if you manage more than one, that's got to be worth some bonus wargamer points.

Can't wait to see paint, terrain, games, etc. for this.

What figure is one-eye?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:43:31 PM »
Wonderfully ecclectic bunch of pirates! great work gathering the right figures together; I'm sure you had a blast doing that...  :)

As for the gun; I'm not convinced by either one actually. The raygun looks too much like the flintlock gun he's already holding and the SMG is clearly identifiable as an MP5K. Not much to do about that, and it is a cool looking gun, but being what it is, it's too 'nowadays' to work as scifi.

Of course you can always say it's an antique, but I'd advise to find a more distinctly scifi gun. There are so many out there, I'm sure there's one that will work.

Keep it up; this project is most inspirational!  8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 02:38:04 PM »
FramFramson, One-eye is a Stitchmen Hunter from Hyacinth Games Wreck-age game.

The barrel of her gun was to flimsy for my taste so I replaced it with a British rifle from West Wind's SotR line. And added a sword.

As for the pirate's gun in question I have the same concerns as you, Daeothar, that's why I asked for opinions. The thing is I want to finish them in January and I paint very slowly. I don't want to wait for a new gun to arrive (it would take at least a week), so I have to work with what it is in my bitz box. And those two guns are the best. But I maybe build one from scratch.

And here is a better picture of the Combat Robots.

Thanks for the comments.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »
So after a lot of thinking and searching through my bitzbox a couple of times I made this gun.

Unfortunately I don't like it... What do you think?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 02:45:02 AM »
It needs a proper muzzle instead of a ball. I think that'll help quite a bit.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 03:08:25 AM »
WOW! What a great collection of figures.  :-*

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »
I like the new gun; it's a sort of portable Tesla coil, from the look of it. Death-lightning will crackle forth from the front globe, I'm sure...  8)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 03:41:21 PM »
Who makes the combat droids?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »
d phipps: Thanks. As I'm a collector most of all, I have a lot of stuff to choose from lol

Jep Daeothar has it right, a lightning type weapon was in my mind, when I did that one. When I will use it, I probably will make a backpack for it as well. I can get inpatient easily if I'm excited about something so I went ahead nad used the smg. Took out the GS as well. I will post pictures tomorrow.

The Combat Droids are old Warzone figures, Mishima Suicide Warheads. You can found them HERE, commissarmoody.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:45:01 AM »
You've really made those warzone chaps look good, quite tempted to pick some up now.
Also tempted to get that reaper gorilla and give it a rats head.....
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 03:52:18 PM »
You've really made those warzone chaps look good, quite tempted to pick some up now.

Yeah, my like for the Warzone and Chronopia figures was an acquired taste  :)

So, pictures. First the Combat Droids. Added straps for the shields and thumbs to the hands.

Then here is Capt. Trakan. I hate sculpting hands. Never come out good. (and I still can't make good photos of small details...)

The members of the other league, still-named-Half-eye, Mr. Gunn and Mr. Jones. Jones still needs some kind of a strap around his head for the mask. I'm not sure how to do it yet.

And here is Mr. Dirk with his smg and the back of Half-eye.

Did I mentioned yet, I absolutely hate sculpting hands? I had to redo it twice, and I'm still not satisfied with the results. But it is as good as it's get.

Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the bases, then they will be ready for undercoating and painting.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
Good stuff. Mr. Jones' mask will look too much if done like Bane (Batman). Best just a strap above the ears I think.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 04:44:37 PM »
Good stuff. Mr. Jones' mask will look too much if done like Bane (Batman). Best just a strap above the ears I think.

No Bane mask for Mr. Jones  ;) I used some thin thread from my mothers stash. It was easier done than I thought will be.
I also primed the figures, along with a couple of others. Now on to painting. Right after I decided an actual colour scheme. The pirates the easier part, only One-Eye will be trickier. And I need to find a good emblem for the group. Something I can paint on the back of their jackets. Any ideas (I don't want to do a simple skulls&bones)?
The Baron's cohort is a little more difficult. The guards will be painted on the grey-black-bronze line, while Finnigen and the robots will have more colour. The big ape is straightforward enough. I will probably leave the Baron for last, to see how to tie the two group together with his colours.

When they get some paint I will try to make some acceptable pictures.