Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:27:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SuperSystem 4th: Almost Ready For Play-tests [Latest Link on pg. 13 --3/21/2014]  (Read 66030 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
I might just have missed it, but i dont think there is an explanation for how you calculate the cost of complex powers. Lets say i have a 3pts/LVL power with a -50% effect and with a +10% and a+25% Mod in what order do i aply these and how much would that work out as?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline soapy

• Librarian
  • I sculpt therefore I eat.
    • My blog, sometimes work, sometimes play.
I tend to think of them as discreet costs rather that as parts of an equation.

Lets go with 10BP power as it keeps things simple.

From your example.
-50% 5BP off
+10% 1BP on
+25% 2.5BP on
Total 8.5BP and the rounding rule brings us to 9BP for the power.

If you look at the way things are worded the deductions and increases are shown as a fraction of the power cost and not as a fraction of the current cost of the power dependant on where you are in an equation. When it comes to things like BP/level cost powers the power isn't ready for deductions until you have built it so you don't need to worry about working out the deductions based on each level or worrying about when you apply the rounding. Just buy your levels and 'complete' the power to your satisfaction and then apply your mods with their associated costs/deductions to this BP total to arrive at your final cost in BP and then apply the rounding rule to get the cost of power to you.

With mods offering a mixture of set value and percentage deductions it can get mighty confusing when building a complex power. The discreet values method smooths the whole thing out and takes your calculation from a mind numbing mess to simple addition and subtraction.

Pinch of Salt time as this is merely a players interpretation after around 530 builds (all 3rd edition mind you) and I'm sure Scott will tell us if I've been doing it wrong. I wouldn't put it past me... :D

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
We looked at this and added some re-worked text that clarifies and addresses this issue:

Calculating the cost of a power with Power Mods applied is a two step process.  You must first calculate the Adjusted cost of the power by taking its Base cost and applying all positive Power Mods (if any). Then you can calculate the Actual cost of the power by taking the Adjusted cost and applying all negative Power Mods (if any). The Actual cost can never be less than half of the Adjusted cost.

Example: A 10 pt. power with +10%, +25%, and -50% power mods would have an Actual cost of 7 points (Adjusted Cost: 10 * 1.35 = 13.5 = 14, Actual Cost: 14 * .5 = 7).

Note Power Mods on the model’s SuperSheet under the power that they affect (in the same manner as Special Effects).
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline soapy

• Librarian
  • I sculpt therefore I eat.
    • My blog, sometimes work, sometimes play.
We looked at this and added some re-worked text that clarifies and addresses this issue:

Calculating the cost of a power with Power Mods applied is a two step process.  You must first calculate the Adjusted cost of the power by taking its Base cost and applying all positive Power Mods (if any). Then you can calculate the Actual cost of the power by taking the Adjusted cost and applying all negative Power Mods (if any). The Actual cost can never be less than half of the Adjusted cost.

Example: A 10 pt. power with +10%, +25%, and -50% power mods would have an Actual cost of 7 points (Adjusted Cost: 10 * 1.35 = 13.5 = 14, Actual Cost: 14 * .5 = 7).

Note Power Mods on the model’s SuperSheet under the power that they affect (in the same manner as Special Effects).

See, told you I was doing it wrong! ;)

Scott's way actually works out much better for you as you can see by the side by side on the two totals. Not only are you gaining a discount on your power but a discount on your positive cost power mods too, bargain! :o

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Glad i could help. I think this is one of those things everybody asumes it is done a particular way without hiving other potential interpetations a second thought.

On a side note, with the whole timing discusion on aoe damaging aura post jump, could i take damaging aura with aoe and "charge only" leap is a special charge i believe?would he get the damage bonus from charge on this attack?

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
Glad i could help. I think this is one of those things everybody asumes it is done a particular way without hiving other potential interpetations a second thought.

On a side note, with the whole timing discusion on aoe damaging aura post jump, could i take damaging aura with aoe and "charge only" leap is a special charge i believe?would he get the damage bonus from charge on this attack?

The damage bonus on the charge adds to his own Strength, not the DA.  So you'd resolve the DA damage and his Strength damage separately.   

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Ah right, i asumed that by taking the "charge only" mod the aura would become a end of charge "action" but i see now that is a rather liberal interpretation of the rules.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Scott, two more thoughts...

1) Healling should have the # for humans to use. To me I can see a doctor or medic saving someone life. How can that differ from cloak or force field?

2) I really don't see a special move for charge.....for example Cannonball that has a force field up and smashes into targets. Or a runner that could generate a force field and ram people...

Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
I still don't get the forcefield for humans...  ;D

Healing sounds logical, I can also name quite a few heroes with secret identities who are paramedics or doctors so that would fit.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Hey scot I assume your more focused on alternative paths to getting 4th published but I'm still bursting with idea's and question.  :D

Is there a viable way to reverse Knockback direction? I was originally thinking about a gravity controling hero who would make black hole like AoE attacks, so they should suck rather then blow  ;D

Then I realized that with a good way to do this you could have lassoo like effects and weapons with it.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
Is 4th available for purchase yet?  I have decided that I'm done with Heroclix and want to get in to a new game to fill the time I used for it with a social activity I can geek out with. I figure that getting in to 4th when it comes out would be a good time to do it as I've been on the fence for a while now.
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
Not yet

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
Hey scot I assume your more focused on alternative paths to getting 4th published but I'm still bursting with idea's and question.  :D

Is there a viable way to reverse Knockback direction? I was originally thinking about a gravity controling hero who would make black hole like AoE attacks, so they should suck rather then blow  ;D

Then I realized that with a good way to do this you could have lasso like effects and weapons with it.

This is a good idea!  I could see it as a Power Modifier called Power Pull, or maybe just Pull.

Pull
BP Cost: 5 pts. (?)
Effects: Characters purchasing this power mod must link it to  one (or more) of the following powers: Elasticity, Reach, or Telekinesis.  On any successful attack roll with the linked power, the attacker may move the model closer to him by 2" per net goal from the attack/defense exchange. 

Maybe something like that? 

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
Is 4th available for purchase yet?  I have decided that I'm done with Heroclix and want to get in to a new game to fill the time I used for it with a social activity I can geek out with. I figure that getting in to 4th when it comes out would be a good time to do it as I've been on the fence for a while now.

Joe has been taking a break to work on real-world stuff.  He will resume work on the layout starting sometime next week.  So we'll be back in the saddle and working soon!  Thanks for your interest and your patience!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
While that would indeed be useful for simulating a slew of powers I was thinking more along these lines:

Reverse Knock-back.
BP: no idea
Effect: This power mod can be bought for any power that does knock back. (including those that normal don't but have the "does knockback" mod) roll for knockback as normal but the direction is reversed. For most attacks this means the target gets pulled towards the user while with AoE powers the targets will be pulled towards the origin of the AoE. The target can not be pulled beyond the powers origin point, or the centre of the AoE.

I think that especially in combination with AoE this might be pretty strong as it allows you to group enemies. Or even for instance an ally with damaging aura and multiple enemies.