Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:30:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: An assassin stalks this place....  (Read 4318 times)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
An assassin stalks this place....
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
Howdy everyone,
A friend of mine recently gave me two miniatures in a clear out he was having and as a thank you, since i did not need the Eversor assassin I have painted it and am giving him it as a 'present' since he never got around to doing it. He had lost the arm with the executor pistol in so I had to improvise and cut up a boltgun and modify it, I then put it on an eldar dire avengers arm as it fitted well with the skin tight armour of the assassin.

I thought I would get some photos to share before I gave it to him though  ::)
Enjoy...

I also really enjoyed making the base. I used some spare foam board layered up and covered in sand. I than added the piping and girder from my bitzbox, finishing it with an ork skull. I did also use some water effects water/waste coming out of the pipe too...
As always, all opinions welcome  :)
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: An assassin stalks this place....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:00:49 PM »
That's an Orc skull?? When seeing it I was pretty sure it was some cthulhu'esque thingy, and wondering what it was doing there  lol

Did you use a wash (Devlan Mud?) to create the effect?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
That's an Orc skull?? When seeing it I was pretty sure it was some cthulhu'esque thingy, and wondering what it was doing there  lol

Did you use a wash (Devlan Mud?) to create the effect?

It comes with the old warhammer skeletons kit if I remember correctly. As for washes, if you mean the skull (if not please specify and I shall answer), I actually used baal red, I wanted to experiment you see haha. Turned out better than expected too.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
Nice one. The painting, repair work and base are all excellent.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 03:29:42 PM »
It comes with the old warhammer skeletons kit if I remember correctly. As for washes, if you mean the skull (if not please specify and I shall answer), I actually used baal red, I wanted to experiment you see haha. Turned out better than expected too.

Actuallty, I was thinking of the armour; it has a mottled, brownish hue to the shading (it could be black if it's just the light playing tricks).

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »
Great work! In a creepy-ever-so-assassin sort of way.

Thanks for the peep.

"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
Actuallty, I was thinking of the armour; it has a mottled, brownish hue to the shading (it could be black if it's just the light playing tricks).

I used a mix of badab black (nuln oil) ink and ogryn flesh (reikland flesh) applied separately for the armour once i had layered and dry-brushed to the effect that I wanted.
The two inks mix when running in to each other and leave a nice effect  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:12:26 AM »
I used a mix of badab black (nuln oil) ink and ogryn flesh (reikland flesh) applied separately for the armour once i had layered and dry-brushed to the effect that I wanted.
The two inks mix when running in to each other and leave a nice effect  :)

OK, thanks!

One question, though: In your opinion, do the new versions of the washes behave like the former ones, or are there any differences one has to be aware of when working with them?

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »
I have to admit there is not much of a difference from what I can tell, however I have not used many of the new ones yet as I am still using paints that I have had for years.
The main thing that I noticed is the new ones do seem to bring out the depth in the recess's better than the old ones.

When I start getting some newer paints (very soon now I am back in the swing of painting again) I shall try do a post/thread about my findings of the different types of citadel paints  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 11:14:35 AM »

The main thing that I noticed is the new ones do seem to bring out the depth in the recess's better than the old ones.

When I start getting some newer paints (very soon now I am back in the swing of painting again) I shall try do a post/thread about my findings of the different types of citadel paints  :)

Sounds good to me - I was asking because one of my 2 pots of Devlan Mud had attracted a mold infection  >:( , so I had to dispose of it - and I'm going to use a LOT of washes painting zombies (both modern and generic/fantasy) over the next ˝ year or so.  :)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
Ahhh well, Ive painted a fare few zombies myself recently, I actually preferred a green ink over a light green, for example I used citadel rotting flesh (now nurgling green) with a wash of catachan green watered down, than drybrushed back up to a 1/2 bleached bone/rotting flesh. Ill post some photos with with a proper tutorial if you think it could inspire you for your future painting?  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »
Ahhh well, Ive painted a fare few zombies myself recently, I actually preferred a green ink over a light green, for example I used citadel rotting flesh (now nurgling green) with a wash of catachan green watered down, than drybrushed back up to a 1/2 bleached bone/rotting flesh. Ill post some photos with with a proper tutorial if you think it could inspire you for your future painting?  :)

When putting some layering effort into painting nicer zombie sculpts, I usually use Foundry Rawhide triad for the skin (with an intermediate mix of R shade and R in between), as I prefer my Zeds to have this 'recently deceased' look.

Just now I need droves of undead for Dead walk Again, and I'm painting cheap Wargames Factory plastics that are not worth the effort, so I just basecoat and Devlan Mud wash, then pick out some details and splash on some gore. I'll probably use light grey for the skin on some, and maybe even rotting flesh and/or Army Painter's Necrotic Flesh and Skeleton Bone (I have spray Cans of both).

But I'd love to see breakdowns of your techniques - I can always use new ideas for the good sculpts that deserve attention!  :)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 06:04:44 PM »
Well Ill see what I can knock up. Most of the zombies I have done are the warhammer zombie kit which have a cartoonish feel to them, but can look quite good....

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
Well Ill see what I can knock up. Most of the zombies I have done are the warhammer zombie kit which have a cartoonish feel to them, but can look quite good....

I've got a couple of those primed, too  :)