Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:25:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Gotham city project for BMG  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Onimusha

• Librarian
My Gotham city project for BMG
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »
In anticipation of my order of Batman miniatures from Knight Models, I decided to use my time to build Gotham city. Gotham is a dark and gritty urban city which makes most of my zombie town buildings unusable….so on to making new ones.

The Batman miniatures game uses terrain and elevation in a much different way then the usual skirmish game, it is important to have acces to rooftops and a lot of stuff that provides cover. Allthough the game is played in the night ( you can see up to 30cm) each ranged attack can potentially hit each obstacle in it’s course.

I have currently 4 residential buildings in the works, 1 office building and a police office ( the one with the hirst arts stones). I work on them almost daily at the moment and will update when I have some more progress.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Re: My Gotham city project for BMG
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:02 AM »
Very nice start mate, I'm looking forward to the finished stuff  :).
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
You have given me some great ideas for my own buildings. I have the figures and bases which now need to be attached; some terrain elements; now I need to tackle the buildings. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »
More awesomeness seems to ooze from your work table.  Thanks for sharing this one with us, I can't wait to see the police building take shape!

Offline Onimusha

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
I have a minor setback in personal life so my work on the project got a little delayed, but I made some progress which I will share at the end of the week.
I still have no solution for the windows, I looked through numorous forums for inspiration and found 2 possible ideas worthy for my project. One had a hand painted black with green stripes on cardboard, which looked cool.
The other had a sheet of transparant plastic on the inside spraypainted with a dark blue color.
My other option is finding a nice texture image and print it.

Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback, it helps me to continue with my project a lot.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:15:11 PM »
Nice start !

It reminds me to go forward on my own city project  lol

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
Man!

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 09:52:57 PM »
Nice start. Is the tallest building corregated cardboard or corregated plastic?

Offline Onimusha

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 07:53:35 AM »
Here is another update about my Gotham city project, my batman miniatures are still awaiting stock which gives me more time to make scenery, so in a way it is not that bad.

In the pictures you can see the layout of 2 different parts of the city, this way I can switch buildings and have a different setup. One has wide streets of 15cm(6″) and the other has a smaller more dense street layout of 10cm (4″)wide. The material I use is the kind of underfloor stabiliser for wooden floors or parquet, I can store it easily in a small roll; plus effect is that over the years it tends to crack here and there and this gives you a realistic wear on the streets.

Some buildings are from a previous project and don’t fit the Gotham city feel, but I plan to gradually replace them.

Offline John b

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »
Wow nice work, I'm tempted by the BMG but would love to know what scale the miniatures close to??

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »
Wow nice work, I'm tempted by the BMG but would love to know what scale the miniatures close to??

32mm from what I understand. I know some people play Cheap-Man using Heroclix that they repaint. The model quality is great, but wow their price is like buying something from Games Workshop....about $20 a fig
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Onimusha

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »
The models are superb, but yeah prices are a bit steep.

Well, after several tests with the windows, I decided to take the long but worthwhile approach on creating many individual windows in all their different sizes; if I had known I would have made all windows the excact same size from the beginning. But I am very pleased with the result, it gives the look of a living city at night.

Offline supervike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
The window treatments are excellent!  Really effective.  I can almost hear the sounds of the city.

Wonderful stuff here.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »
Those look absolutely awesome. I love the texturing and window detailing, If I had two comments they would be:

1. Varying up the colours a bit might make things a little more interesting. Even just adding some browns or greens into the greys could make a huge but subtle difference. However that might not be what you're going for.
2. The tall building shows the corrugated cardboard on the corners. Compared with the other buildings it looks unfinished, which is a shame because the rest of the detailing is so well done.

All that said however, I'm envious of your work. It looks amazing so far.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca