Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: French troops in the African Theatres  (Read 8894 times)

former user

Re: French troops in the African Theatres
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 07:16:28 PM »
the command packs from the Artizan MoD range are just perfect. The rank and file would be rare.
the Copplestone germans are not only inaccurate in the cut details, but essentially in the characteristic shape of the pith helmets;
at least that is what would bother me...

although, as can be surely seen from the officer in the middle picture, non regulation uniform can be OK too

btw, let us not forget the Dixon french colonials. Although from the Dahomey campaign, they can be OK for war time, IMHO
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:13:53 AM by bedwyr »

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 11:19:18 PM »
Great  photos of the French in Kamerun.

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 03:19:36 PM »
on the pics of "senegalese tirailleurs" in kamerun, you can see one of the biggest problem with most manufacturers senegalese troops ( ali askari, eureka, gripping beast, dixon, ... ) NO SHOES for natives on african theater !
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »
Eureka make barefoot Senegalese Tirailleurs in tunics, they even come with the right officer in pith helmet.

Alas, they are more like 25mm and look tiny compared to Copplestone, Brigade Games etc. Askai also produce Senegalese bur theirs are really more suited to the 1890s/early 1900s.

I suspect that unless someone produces a specific range (unlikely) the the Brigade Games Belgian askaris are probably as close as you will get.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Bryanbowdell

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
Would the Zouaves and Turcos have retained their traditional uniforms in Africa?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 06:33:34 PM »
I suspect that unless someone produces a specific range (unlikely) the the Brigade Games Belgian askaris are probably as close as you will get.

The Artizan Tirailleurs are fine for Togoland and Cameroon for my money.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

former user

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 06:57:52 PM »
Would the Zouaves and Turcos have retained their traditional uniforms in Africa?

not exactly sure what You mean by traditional
if it is the algerian uniform with wide pants, then no, only the bands still wore them in 1914 (there was a picture I saw)
the four coloured pictures pretty much cover it for WW1

@Plynkes - the Artizan ones are perfect and barefoot, but only four of them...
btw, Woodbine have too some that would work for West Africa

Edit: I just discovered the Belgian Askari from Brigade - how much are the belgian Mausers  a problem?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:10:01 PM by bedwyr »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 07:53:33 PM »
The Artizan Tirailleurs are fine for Togoland and Cameroon for my money.

Thanks Dylan, I was unaware that Artizan had made those. Very nice figures and you are right, perfect for the job.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »
btw, Woodbine have too some that would work for West Africa

The woodbine ones are nice, but the fact that the Artizan ones are wearing the pre-war African khaki collarless uniform makes them a better fit for African endeavours, to my mind. I think the Woodbine ones are better suited for other fronts. As you say, only four poses though...

former user

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 09:07:59 PM »
Yes, the woodbine greatcoat is probably unsuited for Africa, but there are a few with (cold weather...) tunic.
I have tried to assess the availability, and it comes to a hodge podge of a few from a number of companies.

In trying to embrace this, a mixed appearance is not that bad for the colonies, and provided the belgian mausers are OK, these eight can add up to the numbers.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 09:05:42 AM »
The tunic with the big turned-down collar (worn by the Woodbine figures) wasn't seen until 1915 (even though they were the "1914" pattern), so is no good for Togoland. I have my doubts as to whether it was worn in Cameroun, either. These uniforms were issued to Senegalese troops when they arrived in Europe. They were initially horizon blue, the mustard-coloured ones came later. I don't know that any of them were sent to Africa.  ???

And the puttees and boots look seems to me much more of a European front deal.

Of course, these things needn't prevent the use of such figures. It is all a matter of one's priorities. Sometimes you just have to say "sod it, they are near enough, and I want them."  :)

former user

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »
The tunic with the big turned-down collar (worn by the Woodbine figures) wasn't seen until 1915
even later, from what I recall, however I had the impression that the double breasted colonial paletot (in dark blue) was in use much earlier, although I don't know about the turned down collar (which is probably the issue here)
And the puttees and boots look seems to me much more of a European front deal.
Yes, the boots in any case, not so much the puttees;
and since the west Africa business was pretty quick over, not a big chance of coming back with those...
Yes, You are probably right...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:19:07 AM by bedwyr »

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »
hello,  senegalese tirailleurs wore one dress in dark blue and one in sand khaki , alltogether without collars until 1898 to 1914 (darl blue wool jacket for winter, khaki drill without collar for summer) .

In 1914, a new jacket apeared for winter dress, double breasted with turn down collars and yellow trimming. But it was essentialy a european front's dress.

In western Africa they only wore the khaki jacket without collar with yellow trimming (cufs and collar) . artizan turco are perfect with white officers from the FFL range (or belgian officersfrom wargames foundry) belgian askaris are not equiped with lebel but with percussion muskets wich are not accurate for 1914-16!!

There was no algerian/tunisian/morrocan turcos or zouaves in western Africa during the WW1 (all in France or Salonique), only in Tunisia  against the Sennousis (most of them were "territorial units" with oldest soldiers ) where they all wore the khaki drill dress with pith helmet .

best regards
paco

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:35:27 PM by pacofeanor »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »
belgian askaris are not equiped with lebel but with percussion muskets wich are not accurate for 1914-16!!

I believe the Belgians being referred to are the Brigade Games ones, from their Great War range. They have Belgian Mausers. The Foundry ones do not actually have percussion muskets (which wouldn't have been much cop in the 1890s), but Albini-Braendlin rifles, which (like the British Snider-Enfield) just look as if they are percussion muskets. The first generation of breech-loaders did have musket stylings and are easy to mistake for muskets (the Albinis design dates from the 1860s).

The "percussion musket" looking-Albinis would actually be more common (and correct) for Force Publique in the Great War, as only a small number of them had been issued Mausers even at that time.

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
think you plinkes i didn't knew this type of riffle!

For the brigade games belgians i don't remind them .....

regards
paco