Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:06:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British in the ACW? Perry's new range. More on Page 4  (Read 14102 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
British in the ACW? Perry's new range. More on Page 4
« on: January 12, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
Well, who could have foreseen this:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:12:29 PM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: British in the ACW? Perry's new range
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:30:46 PM by joroas »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:37:41 PM »
Very nice and useful figures for all sorts of thing methinks.

Good Lord, they'll be doing VSF next  ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
Quite the departure and yet an interesting concept nonetheless  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:17:33 PM »
'Happy Dance'
At last some proper figures for the Fenian Raids!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully there will as many 'firing poses' wearing the Shako as are wearing the Kilmarnock.
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The only downside being that I may have to completely rebuild the current army of proxies I'm using  :(
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »
Oooh I like these.

So would these uniforms be similar to what would have been the Home Service dress in 1870?

The only downside being that I may have to completely rebuild the current army of proxies I'm using  :(

That's you up till retirement then!  lol
Don't!

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 01:38:43 PM »
That's you up till retirement then!

D'oh!!!

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

well if that ain't a "Holy Crap and knock me over with a feather" sort of thing...

they'll be selling a lot of those to Canadian gamers I suspect

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
Ridgeway 1866

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 02:24:06 PM »
Excellent....and a complete blindsider !

The book "A World Aflame" by Amanda Foreman gives lots of background about what was going on between Britain and America during that period. We came astonishingly close to war both because of the seemingly  belligerent political stance set by the US and some shockingly poorly managed diplomatic incidents.

With France in Mexico and Britain in Canada there is a wealth of "what if's" waiting to be investigated.

More!!
 :D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 02:52:09 PM »
Excellent....and a complete blindsider !

The book "A World Aflame" by Amanda Foreman gives lots of background about what was going on between Britain and America during that period. We came astonishingly close to war both because of the seemingly  belligerent political stance set by the US and some shockingly poorly managed diplomatic incidents.

With France in Mexico and Britain in Canada there is a wealth of "what if's" waiting to be investigated.

More!!
 :D

Actions have consequences.

In 1917 there recruits for what we call today WW1 noted in the newspapers who had enlisted and were looking forward to fighting the English.  Had there been a war in the 1860s there might have been some problems getting enthusiastic recruits to fight versus Germany.

Of course the Zimmermann Telegraph/Note Affair  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram was the best British propaganda tool the Germans could have come up with.

Edit: (from above link)

Popular sentiment in the U.S. at that time was anti-Mexican as well as anti-German, while Mexico was anti-American and in some cases, anti-European.[10] General "Black Jack" Pershing had long been chasing the revolutionary Pancho Villa, who had carried out several cross-border raids. News of the Telegram further inflamed tensions between the U.S. and Mexico.
On the other hand, there was also a notable anti-British sentiment in the U.S., particularly among German- and Irish-Americans (the latter of whom were most recently infuriated at the British by their brutally swift suppression of the 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin). Until the early months of 1917, American press coverage of Britain and France was not much more sympathetic than press coverage of Germany. Above all, the vast majority of Americans wished to avoid the conflict in Europe. Since the public had been told (untruthfully) that the telegram had been stolen in a deciphered form in Mexico, at first the message was widely believed to be an elaborate forgery perpetrated by British intelligence. This belief, which was not restricted to pacifist and pro-German lobbies, was promoted by German and Mexican diplomats, and by some American papers, especially the Hearst press empire. This might have presented the Wilson administration with a dilemma—with the evidence the U.S. government had been confidentially provided by the British, Wilson quickly realized the message was genuine, but he could not make the evidence he had public without compromising the British codebreaking operation.
However, any doubts as to the authenticity of the telegram were removed by Arthur Zimmermann himself. First at a press conference on 3 March 1917, he told an American journalist, "I cannot deny it. It is true." Then, on 29 March 1917, Zimmermann gave a speech in which he admitted the telegram was genuine.[11] Zimmermann hoped Americans would understand the idea was that Germany would only fund Mexico's war with the United States in the event of American entry into World War I.
On 31 January, Germany resumed "unrestricted" submarine warfare, which caused many civilian deaths, including American passengers on British ships. This brought about a wave of anti-German sentiment that spread like wildfire. The Telegram greatly increased this feeling. Besides the highly provocative anti-U.S. proposal to Mexico, the Telegram also mentioned "ruthless employment of our submarines."[12] It was perceived as especially offensive that the coded Telegram had been transmitted via the U.S. embassy in Berlin and the U.S.-operated cable from Denmark.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:57:35 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:59:10 PM by huevans »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
Osprey on the topic.

Maybe if I paint up some Canadian troops I can convince my French-Canadian wife to try some war games (old RPG'er) scenarios ("help testing") out...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 04:29:10 PM »
I am sold.

Offline Garder

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
I never saw that coming :o

That could be the basis for some interesting skirmish games using Sharp Practice.

I just hope they release Guards in bearskins in skirmish poses. I have a thing for bearskins...