Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tabletop Table???  (Read 7284 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Tabletop Table???
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 07:49:03 PM »
Yep, I thought of that, too  :)  It may also be necessary for the legs to be positioned equidistant from the corners (depending on the length of the legs/size of the table).

But the bolts should make sure, noone pushes a leg in by accident  ;)

I shall not be able to get the materials together and the table built for my gaming session this Sunday, but I'll see what I can manage during next week. Have to go to the hardware store to get hinges and bolts (and make them cut up some board for me for this project, and a couple of new tables).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 11:29:59 PM »
Have a care - the table may be pushed so as to let one or more 'leglets' slide off the supporting table, to a resounding crash.

You try explaining that to my Nan!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 08:05:04 AM »
Have a care - the table may be pushed so as to let one or more 'leglets' slide off the supporting table, to a resounding crash.

You try explaining that to my Nan!

I'm going to have a larger board/table to put the raised table on - but I see your point.

Maybe rubber should be used to tip the leglets instead of felt?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 08:13:16 AM »
Another thought:

If you're always going to use the same board to place the raised board on (which I intend - I'll probably make the raised board about 2.5' sq. so as to allow both 2' sq. and 3' sq. gaming tables to be placed on top, and then use a 3' sq. board to place it on) - why not make 'pinning holes' in the supporting board and have those round wooden 'pins' (I do not know the English word) protruding from the legs? If you go to a convention or a friends home, it should not matter what size table is at hand, you'll always have a very sturdy and stable set-up for the game. Downside is, you have to bring at least 3 boards (including 1 gaming table) instead of just 2...

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 02:46:42 PM »
Another thought:

If you're always going to use the same board to place the raised board on (which I intend - I'll probably make the raised board about 2.5' sq. so as to allow both 2' sq. and 3' sq. gaming tables to be placed on top, and then use a 3' sq. board to place it on) - why not make 'pinning holes' in the supporting board and have those round wooden 'pins' (I do not know the English word) protruding from the legs? If you go to a convention or a friends home, it should not matter what size table is at hand, you'll always have a very sturdy and stable set-up for the game. Downside is, you have to bring at least 3 boards (including 1 gaming table) instead of just 2...
Dowels.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 09:02:36 PM »
Another thought:

Dowels.

Makes sense - they're called 'dybler' in Danish.

I just thought that dowel meant a long, round, thin wooden rod....

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 01:11:57 AM »
Another thought:

Dowels.

Makes sense - they're called 'dybler' in Danish.

I just thought that dowel meant a long, round, thin wooden rod....
It does, and short, thick ones to! ;)

Offline pnweerar

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 03:13:09 AM »
And the area below can always be used for the Land of the Magma People.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 10:55:16 PM »
I know - but I finally got around to affixing the 'bolts' to my elevated table - I'll post pics tomorrow.

It works! Added the stability I was after  :)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 10:58:48 AM »
Yes that is what I will do for the 45 Adventure tables on the Tactica ,must copy that  :D
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »
I'm just about to make some shots of my new desert table and the finished elevated table with draw-bolts to hold the legs. I hope to have pics up within the next couple of hours...  ;D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 09:10:10 PM »
So, here the underside of the now finished table:

And some close-ups:

Here, the bolted leg:

The blocks for the draw-bolts were just glued on with white wood-glue at this point. I consider securing them with a screw or two from the top side of the table.

I'm also going to add some magnet-strips to hold the legs in folded position during transport.

If I had to start this project from scratch, I'd go buy some hinges specially made for folding legs, though. There's a link further up this thread, I think...

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 03:09:09 PM »
The draw bolts are perfect. I really like the design of yours. If I build a Mark II version of mine, I'll be doing the hinges and draw bolts since attaching the legs before each game is a drag.  :)
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 11:04:12 AM »
Well, through trial and error, man shall learn....

But as I wrote, there's some hinges available especially for folding legs, and I think they actually have a device to lock in plade when unfolded. Those would spare the happy constructor a lot of head-aches  ;)