Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:08:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Your suggestion for statistics for a different sort of Walker  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
Your suggestion for statistics for a different sort of Walker
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »
I recently picked up an Ironclad Miniatures 4 Legged Steam Walker, rather than use it as a tank on legs I though it would be more interesting and usable if the fighting platform was open, so the tank turret became the engine room and some armour plating was borrowed from a WW1 tank.
Here's what it looks like, I'm a vigorous rather than skilled painter so don't look too close.

MAGSAH 1 by MEB_Pompey, on Flickr
MAGSAH 2 by MEB_Pompey, on Flickr

MAGSAH 3 by MEB_Pompey, on Flickr
MAGSAH 4 by MEB_Pompey, on Flickr

What I'd like your help with are the statistics and the points cost for this.

Here are the basics for Mortimer Arbuckle's Gyroscopically Stabilised Armoured Hide (MAGSAH) Originally designed for hunting dinosaurs.

Move 4" (maybe 5"?), can't run, ignores penalties for type 1 & 2 terrain, can't cope with type 3 terrain, takes whole movement phase to turn on the spot.
Not nimble enough to stomp on anyone deliberately (although users are advised to stay clear of moving machinery).
1 civilian (non-combatant) driver in sealed engine room (stays with the MAGSAH if it is disabled).

Supports 2 shooters on gun deck - or 1 with a very large picnic hamper - ride is very smooth so treat as 'no movement' when shooting (no penalty for moving more than 3")

Shooters must use pistol, rifle or carbine - the gun ports and all-metal construction preclude the safe use of arc weapons, machine guns & flamethrowers.

Shooters gain type 3 cover to attacks from front & sides - less so from rear, depending on angle of attack.

Optional - should Arc weapons treat all on board as a single target, armour rating 7 and no cover (or did the designer remember to put in a rubber mat)?

Attackers might get on board by dropping in from above (Pluck roll?), normal access is via ladder to the engine room then hatch up to the gun deck, all locked in combat.

There is a honking great blind spot under the MAGSAH - do you think a Pluck roll would be needed by an attacker to dare the dash underneath? Is there a chance of being injured?

What weapons would bring down the MAGSAH? It should be easier to just shoot the passengers. Blast grenades would work on the legs, not so sure about fire?

And how the hell do I work out the points cost for this? In some ways it weaker than other walkers but in other ways it might be quite a pain to face....

Your thoughts and suggestions most welcome.

Mark

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people ... I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out ...

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
Re: Your suggestion for statistics for a different sort of Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »
My initial reaction is that it's an Iron Elephant.

I'd give it an internal crew of two, driver and stoker.
Brandon

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
My initial reaction is that it's an Iron Elephant.

Thanks for replying Copeab, is that in IHMN or HVF 'cos I'm looking but I'm not seeing anything that matches ....  o_o

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »
KISS principal = armoured steam carriage. Just make it a walker instead of wheeled.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:51:51 PM »
Thanks for replying Copeab, is that in IHMN or HVF 'cos I'm looking but I'm not seeing anything that matches ....  o_o

No Iron Elephant in the rules. Just my impression. Sort of a giant Iron Horse.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:45:00 AM »
KISS principal = armoured steam carriage. Just make it a walker instead of wheeled.

Possibly, but I would give it an improved line of sight in return for the reduced speed.

Nicely modelled Maldred, I see that your painting skills have improved quite a bit ;)
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/