Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:29:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Imagi-nations (Imagi-baronies?)  (Read 2718 times)

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
Medieval Imagi-nations (Imagi-baronies?)
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:16:21 PM »
I'm currently on a Feudal period kick and started thinking about imagi-nations and the middle ages. It seems perfect for this kind of gaming and yet I see very little information out there about others doing it. My inspiration were the articles in WI about Sebrovia, a fictional small kingdom somewhere between the Holy Roman Empire and Bohemia. Add in some Prince Valiant, Robin Hood, and the Pendragon rpg as other influences and it occurs to me that this is a very do-able project. I'm just wondering if any of you have done similar projects and if you have any thoughts to share.

Some elements I'd like to include are:

The good guy Bishop and his retinue of loyal knights and men at arms
The not so nice robber monks, and their "Bishop"
Assorted knights allied to two or more barons who vie for control of resources
The villainous outlaw (insert name here, but likely Wulf-something)
Miscellaneous Ladies, monks and so forth

I have a nice start on figures with various knights, men at arms, archers, militant monks and so forth. I even have a figure for his Grace the Bishop, mounted and his cross bearer ready to go on the painting table.   So, suggestions, ideas, indignations, assignations, waghalters and what-not anyone?

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
Re: Medieval Imagi-nations (Imagi-baronies?)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:42 PM »
I did it a little for my Wars of the Roses, making up characters and their retinues and basing them near where i used to live. So i say why not.  :)

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:45:51 AM »
I imagine [wink] you will make it work.

Nothing to stop a determined gamer, so yes, it should work as well  for an alternative ‘feudalism’ as it does for an alternative 18th century.

Your brief outline is a good beginning.

The big task is to get a group (even one more person) to take up their banner(s).

Best wishes and have fun.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:50:17 AM by Sendak »
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »
I do the same at the moment but with a bit fantasy included ( Dragons, the others) mainly influenced by Game of thrones.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:59:52 AM »
I don't but I have contemplated it from time to time. The thing is that you could probably take a 'real' area and still make all that work within it. In most countries of the era, especially the further you got from whatever passed as a capital, central control weakened and it was left to the local aristocracy to maintain order and control in the King/Elector/Emperor's name... or not.

The Holy Roman Empire was notoriously lawless, with 'robber barons' all over the place. The reason stories about Robin Hood, or William Tell, or a number of other folk tales were so popular and have survived, is largely due to them being quite believable to their audience back then. Even somewhere small like England had its own areas devoid of any meaningful authority (the County Palatine of Chester is an obvious one, but there were others).

Whatever you cook up is probably not so far from reality as you might think... and it sounds like fun, which overrides all other factors in my book.

;)