Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:23:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A 'Heart of Darkness' Belgian Company published  (Read 4659 times)

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
A 'Heart of Darkness' Belgian Company published
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »
UPDATE : I worked on this over the weekend - my final version published at the end of this thread ... proofreading and costing checks welcome  :)
----------
I'm looking for some European opponents for British troops posted to the Dark Continent and found these splendid figures by Wargames Foundry

I can make up the bulk of the force by using existing templates for Prussian, British and French troopers plus loyal natives but I'm looking for inspiration for the leaders ... given that King Leopold II* won't be there himself does anyone know of any infamous Belgians I can use?
Your thoughts are invited ...
[*One wonders if Leopold was the last Belgian to be honest about his plans for world domination ....]

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:32:38 PM by Maldred »
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people ... I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out ...

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Suggestions for a Belgian Company?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:02:41 PM »
as the old joke goes, there are only three famous Belgians

Jean Claude Van Damme,  Hercule Poirot  &  Hertz Van Rental (who always sounded more Dutch to me)

"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »
Henry Morton Stanley ("Doctor Livingstone, I presume?") was Leopold's Main Man in the Congo for a bit. He was pretty much responsible for setting up the Congo Free State.

Foundry do a couple of figures of him too, as it happens.

Bear in mind though, that those boys aren't "Belgian" until 1908 or so. Up until then they are the private army of an individual warlord. Nothing to do with the Belgian state.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
The bulk of the force should be African askari types. Often recruited from cannibal tribes, they should have a reasonable FV (possibly a the expense of SV). Give them the option of bayonet drill (but not marksmanship - save that for the Europeans).

Special options could include a witchdoctor (see the Shaman in the Hunting Party list or the Inyana in the Zulu list in HVF). If the withchdoctor is present you could also include a Demon (see Zulu list in HVF).

Also consider Congo leopardmen (see the Skinchanger in the Red Sect list in HVF - in his changed from treat as Lion/Tiger in the HVF bestiary). Westwind's 'cat by blows' pack in their Vampire Wars' range paint up nicely in this role.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:10:43 PM »
you have to build them as an evil force .
the bulk of your askaris can cause terror
some ( many ?) years ago , there were some articles about colonisation of africa and the "congo free state" ... try to find them .

Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 11:39:26 PM »

Jean Claude Van Damme,  Hercule Poirot  &  Hertz Van Rental (who always sounded more Dutch to me)

Tintin.

Probably the world's most famous Belgian.

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:06:46 AM »
you have to build them as an evil force .
the bulk of your askaris can cause terror
some ( many ?) years ago , there were some articles about colonisation of africa and the "congo free state" ... try to find them .

I doubt I've found the originals but Wikipedia is a great source ...
I wonder if the Company should be elements of the Force Publique - a gendarmerie and military force instituted in 1885 with Askari-like African soldiers whose arms included the chicotte — a bull whip made of hippopotamus hide

Two notable figures appear to be:
Leon Rom, a Belgian soldier, known to keep severed heads of Africans in his flower bed
Edmund Musgrave Barttelot a "brutal and deranged" British Army officer (born in Sussex - so no surprise there)

I am so not going to include Tintin  ..... Herge's Company covered that ground I think ....
But I wonder, did Poirot have a Moriarty? Or even a Mycroft?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 12:16:56 AM »
Tintin's probably a generation later than 1895 anyway. He's a young lad after the Russian Revolution, so probably only born about 1897. Poirot appear to be in his 40s perhaps in the 1920s. He's maybe born about 1880 or a little earlier? That would make hime very young when the action of IHMN takes place. Twenty or so, tops.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 12:27:31 AM »
De Wouters is my favorite Congo Belgian, tall guy always dressed in white that no one could kill despite sticking out like a sore thumb. I made a white steam powered walker just for him ;)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 02:43:23 AM »

Oh how quickly a callous world forgets.

Plastic Bertrand, there, I'vs said it. Belgium's greatest contribution to popular culture beyond chocolate and beer. Oooowooowoo Ça plane pour moi.....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDfmn_TMkI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbVDfmn_TMkI

Oh and an honourable mention to Jaques Brel of course.

Belgian Company? Inbev. Ok Belgo-Brazilian but look what they've done for American beer.  ;)

Major Jean 'Django' Reinhardt' company commander and keen amateur banjo player.

Captain Poirot, Intelligence officer.

Sgt. Georges Simenon, company clerk and would be author of trashy romance novels.

Corporal Marc Dutroux, savage killer with a lust for blood.

Private Jules Maigret. Illegitimate son of the company clerk and hardened soak.

There's a start for you.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 05:39:38 AM »
And of course the Lady Stella Artois, for whom they would all die  :D
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 06:51:28 AM »
And of course the Lady Stella Artois, for whom they would all die  :D

Doesn´t she have a cousin called Pommes Fritz?

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:25:51 AM »
Thanks for your ideas, I'll put together an outline of the Force Publique soon and offer it for comment before assigning actual statistics.

Some of your ideas I can use for my Company and other should be used in a different Company - should someone volunteer to create it ...

Jean Claude Van Damme .... haven't I seen him as a Legionnaire?

Plastic Bertrand - born 1954 so a bit late for the Congo .... a pity as the name suits a mad scientist ....
Jaques Brel  .... another singer ....  so Belgian's export chocolate, beer and ballads?

I like all of these :
Major Jean 'Django' Reinhardt company commander and keen amateur banjo player.
Captain Poirot, Intelligence officer.
Sgt. Georges Simenon, company clerk and would be author of trashy romance novels.
Stella Artois & Pommes Fritz (although the latter may be a Prussian cousin?)

However I think they belong in a more heroic and honourable Belgian Company - the one that has been brewing overnight in my head is far less ... wholesome, so lou passejare you will have your evil force.

I will use Corporal Marc Dutroux "savage killer with a lust for blood" and Private Jules Maigret "Illegitimate son of the company clerk and hardened soak" although Jules will need to be promoted as he is European.

Of the historical personas ..
De Wouters certainly sounds like a good military commander, for that reason I feel he belongs with the heroic force, the officers of my Force Publique are poor leaders, cowards and deliberately squander lives ....

It's odd that Henry Morton Stanley's reputation is relatively untarnished given his role in forming the Free State and rumours of his cruelty would make him a good fit for my Force Publique unit but perhaps too high ranking and at least moderately competent so I'll leave him out.
Although I think one of Stanley's travelling companions, James Sligo Jameson, will make an appearance as a Black Sheep ....

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 11:24:14 AM »
I wonder if the Company should be elements of the Force Publique - a gendarmerie and military force instituted in 1885 with Askari-like African soldiers whose arms included the chicotte — a bull whip made of hippopotamus hide
the "chicotte" is a weapon mainly used by european officers and NCO's , not by askaris . but the weapon can cause terror to native troops  :o

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 03:26:27 PM »
I'll be adding a guy named Pim de Rhoods to my Belgian force, I saw this little video just this morning.

Rat Infested Ghost Ship

The presentation style is irksome but it raises a lot of interesting questions and gaming possibilities.