Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:32:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A 'Heart of Darkness' Belgian Company published  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
Re: Suggestions for a Belgian Company?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 03:39:16 PM »
So here are my thoughts so far .... I think I can safely say these guys aren't heroes ....

Your thoughts and suggestions, as always, appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:43:08 PM by Maldred »
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people ... I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out ...

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Suggestions for a Belgian Company? - Draft Company Outline Attached
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »
Nice list.

Personally, I would make the following changes to the list:

Change the Askari to military rifle & fighting knife, with option to replace knife with either machete(sword) OR bayonet (in which cas thet can buy bayonet fighting talent)

The Expendables would be recruited from tribes, so replace club with spear and shield
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »
i'm not a great fan of askaris with bayonet fighting talent .
from the account of  officers , native troops were reluctant to use bayonet and less efficient  . and were good quality assault troops with the machete . ( so , i will chose sword and rifle , or bayonet without the fighting talent , but it's my point of vue )  ;)

Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts ..
Change the Askari to military rifle & fighting knife, with option to replace knife with either machete(sword) OR bayonet (in which case they can buy bayonet fighting talent)
The Expendables would be recruited from tribes, so replace club with spear and shield

i'm not a great fan of askaris with bayonet fighting talent from the account of  officers, native troops were reluctant to use bayonet and less efficient and were good quality assault troops with the machete.

For this company I decided to emphasise the bigotry, immorality and cowardice shown by the dregs of Europe .... to reflect this the natives are under trained and expendable to their leaders. sadly that means I can't use the rifle & bayonet equipped Askari figures produced by Wargames Foundry - perhaps if someone publishes stats for 'proper' Prussian trained Askari?
The Expendable Natives in this force are closer to being conscript labour rather than cannibal warriors, for the latter Spear & Shield make sense but for the former clubs are all that is available.
Similarly the witchdoctor & congo leopardmen would belong to a force that places a higher value on the skills of the natives, a company that is more heroic than mine :-)

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Suggestions for a Belgian Company?
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
Tintin.

Probably the world's most famous Belgian.

Charlemagne?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
Re: A 'Heart of Darkness' Belgian Company published
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 12:53:38 PM »
5 pages long so attached as a .pdf

In summary;
A typical Force Publique patrol consists of: 1 Captain, 1 Sergeant, 1 Supernumerary, 3 Askari & 8 Natives and is most often sent on a revenue collecting mission.

Force Publique Officers & NCOs Are the dregs drawn from Europe's military, mostly cowardly and bigoted with weak leadership skills.
The Supernumerary is either a Mercenary (a Cashiered officer or Dishonourably Discharged trooper) or a Remittance Man(an idiotic, insane, alcoholic or addicted scion of a European family paid to stay far away from respectable society).
Congolese Askari are tough but deliberately poorly equipped to deter rebellion.
The Natives are terrorised semi-civilian forced labour and considered completely expendable by their masters.

former user

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
nothing to add in terms oh IHMN
as to the fluff:
with the figures, I would rather use the belgian force publique with the straw hats and mainly individual poses; I also agree about skipping the bayonets. In the spirit of the novel, I'd even go more irregular, there are a lot of other Foundry miniatures for that, maybe some masqued africans too.

as to the names - doesn't the novel bristle with enough colourful characters with names that You don't need to reinvent with a pillaged belgian supermarket?
just my 5 cents worth...

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 02:14:12 PM »
I would rather use the belgian force publique with the straw hats and mainly individual poses; I also agree about skipping the bayonets. In the spirit of the novel, I'd even go more irregular, there are a lot of other Foundry miniatures for that, maybe some masqued africans too.

The only Foundry figures I can find with straw hats are also equipped with rifle & bayonet ... I do like the look of these though, scruffy but tough looking.

as to the names - doesn't the novel bristle with enough colourful characters with names that You don't need to reinvent with a pillaged belgian supermarket?
That assumes I'm not a literary dilettante relying on Wikipedia and lead adventures contributors for my research  :D anyway I like my Maigret he's the nearest thing to a heroic persona in the whole bunch ....

former user

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
The only Foundry figures I can find with straw hats are also equipped with rifle & bayonet ... I do like the look of these though, scruffy but tough looking.
these are not bad either, but still somehow uniformed - You can also cut off the bayonets...

That assumes I'm not a literary dilettante relying on Wikipedia and lead adventures contributors for my research  :D
that's just lazyness  :D
but You could watch the movie...

or listen to the audiobook while You paint the steamboat...

there will be a steamboat I hope?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 03:16:37 PM »
The Rifle Armed Azande pack might be useful for you too, and they were certainly in the area. They have a 'somewhat uniformed' look.

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/darkest-africa/azande
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »

there will be a steamboat I hope?
With my painting skills this is as good as it will get ...

Although I will look for a resin model at Salute ....

The Rifle Armed Azande pack might be useful for you too, and they were certainly in the area. They have a 'somewhat uniformed' look.
The trouble is that I like most all the Foundry figures, bearers, women & children, British, even Dastardly Belgians!

Now who does native huts that don't cost a fortune?