Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kronstadt 1921  (Read 3076 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Kronstadt 1921
« on: June 13, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
Having only just joined the LAF I apologise if this has been covered before - so many interesting topics on here it'll take me forever to make my way through them all!

Kronstadt has been buzzing around in the back of my head for quite some time - the idea being to make a multi-layered wargame, 15mm for the assaults on Kronstadt (with accompanying scratch built fortress, more on that in a moment) and then shifting up to 20 or 28mm (with T&T rules probably) for 'zoomed in' action in amongst the fortress or some sort of additional, fictional events over in Petrograd, getting a bit more skirmish level as it were.

The questions being (well, other than am I a twit for considering trying to build the darned place)
a). Are there any English books or maps, prints etc which show the fortress in enough detail to build a modular model of it? (Or German, that works too).
b). I know of many of the 28mm ranges, but has anyone any thoughts on the IT range for the RCW, which I know is pretty extensive, or whilst I think of it Tumbling Dice's 20mm?
c). Anyone ever built the fortress, have any suggestions?
d). Have I taken leave of my senses?

Thanks!
Rob

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Kronstadt 1921
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »
This website has a map of the overall fortress layout:

http://www.russianactive.com/Regions/leningradskaya_region/Leningradskaya_region.html

(I didn't link the actual pic, as it is a bit large - just scroll down a bit, to the right of the text block).

The fortress itself is huge, however. I would really reconsider doing anything but a section (although if you pull it off, it would be a remarkable feat) out of sheer practicality. For that, however, I agree that it would be best to get a detailed account of the action and choose a part that will look impressive.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:47:46 AM »
If you are redoing the actual battle, it was over once they arrived on the island. The defenders were trapped in isolated pockets facing overwhelming force. They ran away (to Finland mostly), surrendered or were butchered.

I'm not sure how much fun the assault is either as a game. The attackers are crossing a dead flat surface (albeit you can add some smashed bits I suppose) against almost entirely stationary, invisible defenders.

It might be a decent boardgame, but it's a load of work with figures. I can field a couple of divisions of Reds in 15mm, and it wouldn't be anywhere near enough for the main assault. You'd be better off doing one of the earlier failed assaults -- which both makes a game of it and limits how much you have to paint.

I understand the attractions -- I've been there. But I think there are much better battles to do, to be honest.

The best military description of the attacking force is "The Role of M.N. Tukhachevskii in the Suppression of the Kronstadt Rebellion" by Neil Croll in Revolutionary Russia, Vol. 17, No. 2, December 2004, pp. 1–48.

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:34:40 AM »
I've got a CMB to attack the Oleg.

Why let history get in the way of a good game? Storm the Winter Palace defended by die hard but outnumbered White troops protecting Tsar and his family!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
I've toyed with the idea myself. Forget the main fortress, look at the forts and fortlets that ran across the bay, they would make for fun little skirmishes. Don't think I have it bookmarked on this computer but there's a fabulous Russian website that shows all of the forts/fortlets as they are now and has some damn fine diagrams too. IIRC it came up on here a whila back. Search through the old posts.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »
Thanks chaps!

As for the assault itself, I think I'm more drawn to the idea of building the fortress, simply because it would look great, without even getting so far as how to make the assault a viable wargame. The earlier assaults are a draw, and the notion of skirmishes is the real thing I think, which parts of the fortress and small forts surrounding would work with.

Probably end up building the fortress as a model and gradually putting together forces whilst using them for other BoB & RCW projects at the same time. So many options!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »
Here's the link to the site with all the Kronstadt defences.

http://www.nortfort.ru/nfort/links_e.html

I think parts of it would be quite gameable, if you abstract a little. Holes being blown in the ice, terrible visibility etc. Quite atmospheric. Westwind do some rather nice Russian sailors in greatcoats if you are interested.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »
Plan of Kronstadt:
http://www.nlr.ru/eng/exib/kronstadt/kr9.html

Photos of actual buildings:
http://www.nlr.ru/eng/exib/kronstadt/

I've been considering gaming the British torpedo boat raid.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:36:41 PM by Schogun »

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 10:52:57 PM »
Thanks for the various links all, very useful. I shall get on and have a proper rummage through them and see where I get with it.