Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Studio Miniatures Northwest Frontier  (Read 6146 times)

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
Studio Miniatures Northwest Frontier
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:50:58 PM »
I'd like to do a NW frontier project after my Zulu War one is finished and I was thinking of using Studio Miniatures range. Has anyone seen these in the flesh or purchased any of the range? The figures look great in the pictures but I'd like to hear your thoughts before continuing!

Basically I'd like an idea of the size of their figures and what you think of them quality and detail wise.

Thanks!

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
Re: Studio Miniatures Northwest Frontier
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
As it looks like nobody has anything from the Studio Miniatures range, do people think there is scope for using Perry Miniatures Sudan British alongside the Wargames Foundry range?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »
On a recent thread it looks like Artizan are doing 2nd Afghan war miniatures..

Newline Design sell the pontoonier Gurkhas which would be a nice mix. I think in everything though I would try and keep them in separate units as far as possible if mixing ranges

As to Sudan, not entirely sure long time since I gamed colonial and then Boer war, but at a glance some look OK, (the ones with gaiters/puttees at least)

Perry/Hicks and Artizan normally fit fairly well together  :)

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:54:26 PM »
The British regulars in the Foundry Northwest Frontier range are for the 1890s, the same as the Studio Miniatures ones. The Perry Sudan range however, depicts British troops from the 1880s. Whether this is an obstacle to your using them together is up to you. Size-wise they would probably be okay together, though those Foundry ones are quite old, so may be a tad smaller, possibly not enough to matter though.

Incidentally, that Studio Miniatures website makes me feel seasick. I love its lava lamp effect, but I really can't look at it for long without feeling a bit queasy.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:41:48 PM »
Plynkes - I thought I was the only one who turned green while trying to check out their fantastic looking figures! Yes the background effect makes my stomach do flips as well!

Thanks for the informative responses.

You're quite right the Foundry range is for the 1890s, although I have no qualms about using the Perry Sudan figures simply because they are so much cheaper.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Artizan range! I'm certain they will produce another very nice range (although I'm still keen to get my hands on some Studio Miniatures stuff one day).

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:52:36 AM »
Are you guys calling their Sikh Wars line "northwest frontier"? 

If not, perhaps one could post a link?
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 05:22:41 AM »
As it looks like nobody has anything from the Studio Miniatures range, do people think there is scope for using Perry Miniatures Sudan British alongside the Wargames Foundry range?

The British in Indian Uniforms are OK but you would have to remove the water bottles (the water being carried by Indian water bearers). I asked Michael this a good while ago as I was wondering if they'd be good for the Second Afghan War too.

I, like many others, am eagerly awaiting the release of North Star's Second Afghan War range before resurrecting my NWF projects.

Here's a link and a sample pic from the Steve Dean forum- North Star do plan to do both the Afghans and the Indians/Brits:

http://www.sdean-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36074

And here's the thread on LAF:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=62718.0

Darrell.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:42:50 AM by Atheling »

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:19:41 AM »
Are you guys calling their Sikh Wars line "northwest frontier"? 

If not, perhaps one could post a link?

No, not Sikh Wars. They do have a line they call "North West Frontier" consisting of a handful of packs of 1890s Brits...

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/colonial/north-west-frontier/north-west-frontier-best-sellers-collection-bcnw001/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 09:40:36 AM »
No, not Sikh Wars. They do have a line they call "North West Frontier" consisting of a handful of packs of 1890s Brits...

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/colonial/north-west-frontier/north-west-frontier-best-sellers-collection-bcnw001/

You also could use their Boer war Brits at a pinch

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »
The Foundry British are lovely sculpts and I am using them for the 1898 on the frontier.
I have also used Pontonnier Brits for this (even though the equipment is wrong but I'm not that bothered).
There is a difference in height and heft between these ranges but as my stuff is based singly I don't really mind.
I don't have any Studio Miniatures figures so can't really help on that.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
The Foundry British are lovely sculpts and I am using them for the 1898 on the frontier.
I have also used Pontonnier Brits for this (even though the equipment is wrong but I'm not that bothered).
There is a difference in height and heft between these ranges but as my stuff is based singly I don't really mind.
I don't have any Studio Miniatures figures so can't really help on that.

Does anyone out there have any of the Studio NWF Brits? just how well would they fit with Foundry etc?

Also, they are Soapy sculpts. yeah?

Darrell.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 11:56:34 AM »
Does anyone out there have any of the Studio NWF Brits? just how well would they fit with Foundry etc?

Guess not, as nobody replied when the OP asked that earlier. I can see I am going to have to raid the Colonial Adventures Moderator's kitty and buy a pack or two, as a public service to our members.  :)

Also, they are Soapy sculpts. yeah?

That is correct. Can't confirm that the entire range is done by him, but at least some of the NWF releases were credited to him in LAF posts when they came out. As they all appear to be the work of the same hand it's probably a fairly safe assumption.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
I have mixed the Foundry (Highlanders) and Perry Sudan (Indian kit) British in my NWF project, together with Old Glory (Sikh War range)

What can i say, i'm a pureist  :D
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »
Plynkes - I personally would be very grateful to hear your thoughts on those figures!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 01:29:37 PM »
Guess not, as nobody replied when the OP asked that earlier. I can see I am going to have to raid the Colonial Adventures Moderator's kitty and buy a pack or two, as a public service to our members.  :)

It's your duty after all  ;) :D

That is correct. Can't confirm that the entire range is done by him, but at least some of the NWF releases were credited to him in LAF posts when they came out. As they all appear to be the work of the same hand it's probably a fairly safe assumption.

How long have they been on the market Plynkes? I only discovered them about a year ago!

Darrell.