Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:34:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Brigade Games UpComing New Period - King Philip's War  (Read 18566 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Brigade Games UpComing New Period - King Philip's War
« on: June 12, 2008, 11:41:33 PM »
Hi Guys,

Lon has shown the first pics of this new range in 28 mm designed by Paul Hicks:

Please read the blog by Lon below:
Some have already started to email me about the preview shots of the upcoming King Philip's War range and the July release of Among the War Parties which is a supplement to the "Gloire" rulebook by Rattrap Productions.

King Philip's War (KPW) is something I have been wanting to make miniatures for quite some time. I got inspired reading the novel Mayflower and haven't been able to shake the thought from my head. With Rattrap doing a period specific supplement for Gloire, it seemed that all the moons were aligned to make this happen.

There are 2 preview pictures of 2 of the 4 upcoming packs sculpted by Paul Hicks that will be released in July in the photos folder "1 - Brigade Games King Philip's War." The 4 packs and a special figure of King Philip himself are currently being master molded.  What could be cooler than armed pilgrims!

A brief on the war from Wikipedia -

King Philip's War, sometimes called Metacom's War or Metacom's Rebellion, was an armed conflict between Native American inhabitants of present-day southern New England and English colonists and their Native American allies from 1675–1676. Colonial historian Francis Jennings estimated that the War killed nearly 7 of every 8 Native Americans and 6 of every 13 English settlers. King Philip's War was proportionately one of the bloodiest and costliest in the history of America. More than half of New England's ninety towns were assaulted by Native American warriors

The war is named after the main leader of the Native American side, Metacomet, Metacom, or Pometacom known to the English as "King Philip."

Here is some background information about KPW -

http://www.pilgrimhall.org/philipwar.htm

A little bit about AWP -

Murray who wrote "Gloire" and "Under the Black Flag" has turned his attention to the Americas.

Among the War Parties brings the high adventure of Gloire into the
forests, jungles and frontiers of the Americas! Create imposing war chiefs
who do great deeds in battle, or terrifying and greedy Conquistadors, or
stealthy and straight-shooting frontier woodsmen. This book introduces
over a dozen new character archetypes, as well as new skills, weapons, and
equipment for you to fight and survive in the unforgiving wilderness. This
supplement contains a mammoth 35 Scenarios in five linked campaigns,
ranging from the streets of the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan, to the frozen
and trackless forest in winter, to the wars of colonists and natives in
early America.

Sharpen your tomahawk and check your flint, and set out on the trail Among
the War Parties!

Among the War Parties: Adventures in the Early Americas is our next book
due for release. It will ship in July with a retail price of $19.00.

We will be having a special deal on the book, the four packs and special figure of King Philip.

Stayed tuned for that announcement and preorder information.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Re: Brigade Games UpComing New Period - King Philip's War
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:41:13 AM »
This is indeed fortuitously timed - King Philip's War is one of the campaigns in "Among the War Parties!" The war is an incredibly fascinating one, bloody and brutal, and the first time the Europeans learned the value of adopting the raid-and-reprisal warfare. It almost wasn't enough...

More gorgeous work by Paul, on these guys!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:54:15 AM »
Lovely I can see these guys just as readily attacking the Quilombo dos Palmares as well. Can we have some in shirtsleeves too please?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilombo_dos_Palmares
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:29:54 AM »
So Pete this is your work?

This is great news and I look forward to seeing how this develops in time. There is something about pilgrims and spreading the word of the Lord and using fire and sword if needs be for the latter!

You will find more info plus some colour plates in Men @ Arms "Colonial American Troops 1610-1774 (2)." I like the idea of the troop of cavalry that played havoc against the Indians.
I like the Indian tactic of using a flamming barrel like a cart and pushing it against block houses etc. Sounds like a Forlorn hope!

"Colonial American Troops 1610-1774 (3)" has a small section on rangers on page 21, which details in a few sentences about Captain Benjamin Church and his small band of rangers and allied indians an on one occassion killed King Philip in a skirmish!

Ospreys American Woodland Indians covers the conflict in a small way plus has a beautiful colour plate of a Niantic-Narraganset warrior.

This is a really cool period and my congrats to all involved in this project.  8)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 04:36:37 AM »
I like the pilgrims with muskets, and the indians are certainly worthy of admiration.  However, with respect to the later, I hate to see Brigade (as much as I like Brigade and respect Lon) invading upon what might be considered Conquest's territory.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 11:36:10 AM »
No one likes to see their favorite companies, seemingly treading on the other's work. I work a lot with Brigade (they stock all our stuff) and I'm using Conquest figures to illustrate Among the War Parties. But I think in this case, Lon's armed pilgrim release will spur more sales for Conquest. The addition of a couple of Native American packs won't hurt Conquest. And the more companies that produce figures for a line, the more interest among gamers can be generated.

There are probably people who buy from Brigade who have never heard of Conquest. Now they might start the period and, in looking to expand their Native forces, stumble upon the Conquest ones.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
Incredible Paul strikes again!

Olivier

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:43:01 PM »
They look good to me  :)

Any links to images for Indian warpaint of that period anyone?

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 02:24:16 PM »
Someone on Frothers posted this information.

The two Griffing books are excellent for paint, beadwork, and the like. You can find some of his prints online at http://www.paramountpress.com/index.html for free though. I have also looked at this place for painting reference http://www.wanuken.com/

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 02:27:24 PM »
Someone on Frothers posted this information.

The two Griffing books are excellent for paint, beadwork, and the like. You can find some of his prints online at http://www.paramountpress.com/index.html for free though. I have also looked at this place for painting reference http://www.wanuken.com/

Thanks  :)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 02:31:47 PM »
Fantastic idea.

I think Eric at Conquest has his hands full right now.  I am still waiting for the F&IW Regulars and have been waiting for the Comanches--on horses that Eric likes--for several years now.  Given the production schedule at Conquest I think it's safe to assume that Brigade is not treading on any sort of imminent Conquest release. The more figs the better I say.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 02:38:03 PM »
So Pete this is your work?

I've exchanged miniature ideas with Lon in the past, but it wouldn't be right to say that these were "my work." I don't set Brigade's sculpting schedule and production priorities.

I would keep Paul on a regular diet of Dexedrine and greenstuff if I did.  :)

Offline Conquest

• Librarian
    • http://www.conquestminiatures.com
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 04:09:35 PM »
Although King Phillips War was on my 'to do' list, I admit it's easily a 6 months off at best. I'm very surprised that Lon has started this project, but I can only blame myself if anyone chooses to do a period of which I'm interested. (It's not like he can read minds o_o) I do have a habit of taking my time about things. In this case, I think Lon is just trying to capatilize on the new Among the War Parties release. Can't really blame him, that's just smart.

Having said that, the only way I'm going to keep releasing, or even finishing projects, is if the public actually buys what I have. The last two  French Marine and Frontiersman packs have failed to meet thier sales goal, and my tin prices just went from $8 to $11.50 (from $4 last year). I don't have a very large setup and I can't pull resources from my 'real' paycheck to make up the difference.

So, I'll do my best to protect my 'territory' if you all spread the word to your friends and tell them to BUY MY MINIATURES. (buy them now, cause after Historicon the prices are going up again...)

By the way, I think these are fine looking miniatures. Lon and Paul have done a great job. Buy them while buying my stuff, start a Woodland Wars popularity trend and help the little people compete with the cheap crap that runs rampant out there. We're all quality gamers, lets collect quality miniatures. ;)

My Historicon releases (or, Rich can back me up here, IF, my mold maker is healthy enough) will be;

3 packs of Seminole Warriors
1 pack of Miami Warriors
1 new special edition Magua (the war whoop scene when he and his warriors attack the British column)
Pre-orders for British Regulars (could be cast in time, but I doubt it)
Pre-orders for French Regulars (could be cast in time, but I doubt it)
Pre-orders for US Army to fight the Seminoles (could be cast in time, but I doubt it)

Of those listed above, everything is finished, except all the regulars, which are coming along. There will be 2 more Seminole packs released later, and again, depending on the health of my mold maker, everything will come out this summer.

I have done a Wendigo model and Indian Warrior Zombies, but master molds haven't even been done so it will be a while before I can release these.

Most of the Comanche Horses are done, but still no master molds.

I'm still trying to find that winning Lottery ticket I had, but it's been misplaced for a couple of years...

-Eric 'needs you to start buying stuff' Roof
It's not cheating if your stupid.

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »
Oh no !  :o , I must resist the temptation ! , going to hide under the bed till they go away ! (but they are very nice figures and the subject intrigues me)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 04:39:53 PM »
I am totally buying Seminoles. The Seminoles are awesome - practically the non-horse-riding Cossacks of America. They were incredibly tough bastards, but living in a swamp will do that to you, too.