Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 05:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: To Westeros with Captain Blood! 14 October, another hill tribesman (p66)  (Read 247217 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: To Westeros with Captain Blood! (Update: Ramsay Snow)
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2014, 12:34:26 PM »
Is this someone rather on the short side...  ???

lol

cheers

James

Does the pink colour scheme match with the top of his head?
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2014, 12:37:20 PM »
Well pink is the most masculine colour to wear. A man must have complete confidence in his own masculinity to wear pink.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »
Well pink is the most masculine colour to wear. A man must have complete confidence in his own masculinity to wear pink.

Well them I think Ramsay would wear pink!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #228 on: September 12, 2014, 02:06:52 PM »
Pink was allegedly one of the Norman's favourite colours. I've worn quite a few shocking pink shirts in my time, and I've painted quite a few figures in pink outfits too.
I just happen to think pink doesn't suit very well with the nature of the Boltons. And a red device on a pink field is clearly nonsensical in terms of recognition / visibility on the battlefield...
But anyway, never mind all that... It's FANTASY!  lol

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #229 on: September 12, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »
Wow Ramsay is great!! I think he's my favourite mini by you, (Which means quite a lot.. ;D)
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2014, 04:36:52 PM »
Pink was allegedly one of the Norman's favourite colours.

It's because the natural colours used to dye red clothing very often turned out pinkish. I think it was not until somewhen during the high middle ages that red became regularly actually red, and could be fixed so the colour wouldn't wash out too quickly.

It's not a freak accident that red is a chosen colour for elector princes, cardinals, and kings, to show their status and wealth.

And regarding the manlyness, I've been told that pink fabric was a favourite of viking warriors, too.  :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:03:28 AM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2014, 04:45:27 PM »
I was a bit curious about the pink/red arrangement that Martin described.  I think you did a great interpretation!  Very inspired!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »
Great work on the Basterd Bolton.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
Really enjoying this thread,conversion work and painting top notch as usual,but I got to thinking,mixing and matching all this plastic from so many different ranges must generate a lot of plastic sprues in your house,never mind a lead mountain you must have a plastic mountain Captain lol.
On a slightly more serious note can I ask,because you use so many components from differing ranges do you seperate the heads and arms,equipment from the sprues and keep them catalogued as such or just randomly select from the sprues as you go along with each new conversion ?

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #234 on: September 13, 2014, 07:28:06 AM »
More cracking work Richard :-* your figures make me want to attempt the novels again(I find them too episodic...A bit like Anne Rice...Horrible).
  Your conversions are spot on,my own conversions are very close to yours(for my spurious medieval grim dark  project),though I find the Gripping Beast mailled arms a bit 'sleevy',however you make them look just right,I'll have to have another shot at them(I am finding the Viking bodies with Perry bill men arms and bare heads a lovely mix though).

Regards

Guy
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #235 on: September 13, 2014, 08:35:24 AM »
Thanks.

I agree with you Guy, the Gripping Beast arms are indeed a bit too 'sleevy' - a tad overdone.
I'll have to try out a couple of Viking bodies with Perry bill arms as you suggest - good idea  :)

I'm afraid the truth is, nice as all the ranges are in their own right, the plastic sets from Fireforge, Gripping Beast and Warlord Games are simply not a patch on the Perry medieval sets in terms of the fineness of detailing, the realism of the posing and animation, the quality of the sculpting, or the versatility and sheer quantity of components.
The others all look ever so slightly clunky / cartoony in various ways - whereas the Perry stuff looks amazing.
But maybe I just like that style...  ::) :)

On a slightly more serious note can I ask,because you use so many components from differing ranges do you seperate the heads and arms,equipment from the sprues and keep them catalogued as such or just randomly select from the sprues as you go along with each new conversion ?

I just pick straight from the sprues.
It does take up a ridiculous amount of space keeping (currently) 15 boxes full of half-used frames of plastic figures, when you know the actual remaining usable contents of each of those boxes would fit into a small teacup if you stripped the sprue.
The problem of course, is that once you've harvested the parts and put them all into a box, you simply can't see what you've got any more. So although it's a massive waste of space, keeping unused parts on the sprue is much the most practical way of doing it...

Anyway, on with the Boltons...
Here's the finished 'Bastard's Boy' huntsman. Plus my mighty force of three whole Boltons, shown all together...  :)
I need to make up a few more really, when time permits.

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: To Westeros with Captain Blood! (Update: The Bolton host!)
« Reply #236 on: September 13, 2014, 08:46:03 AM »
Thanks for taking time out to reply to my random question concerning sprues,once the thought had popped into my mind I just had to ask  :)
Nice group shot of the most recent additions and the flayed man shield is top notch,gruesome,but top notch.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #237 on: September 13, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »
Great stuff. Love that flayed man on the shield.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #238 on: September 13, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »
I don't like the Gripping Beast arms meself (humongous gaps between those and the torsos) but when I read this...

I find the Gripping Beast mailled arms a bit 'sleevy'

the Gripping Beast arms are indeed a bit too 'sleevy' - a tad overdone.

...huh?

Too long? Too wide? What's 'sleevy'?

The others all look ever so slightly clunky / cartoony in various ways - whereas the Perry stuff looks amazing.

I know just what you mean. I've been peering hard at DA/Early Medieval plastics over the last couple of days, wishing the Perrys did them all, and wondering if it's all to blend in with the generally clunky/cartoony look that some historicals have been stuck in for ages. I'm thinking of the GB saxons and Conquest normans for Rohan; but with my previous experience of both, I know the former might be better orcs, 'cos a bunch in the box are so hunched and crook-legged, and I'm gonna have to take a dremel or something to the shoulders on the latter.

Have to say I'm impressed with how fine that Fireforge body on the huntsman looks, though. Altogether the three Boltons look excellent. :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:52:14 PM by Vermis »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »
Thanks Vermis. Yes, the more recent Fireforge bodies and arms are really quite good, and the weapons are much more proportionate and less 'GW-style outsize' than the first couple of sets. I think I'd put Fireforge second behind the Perry figures in terms of 'realism', especially if you're choosy about the components and how you put them together.

'Sleevy' means that the mail half-length sleeves on some of the Gripping Beast Viking / Saxon arms just look a bit too big, loose and heavy. I've worn mail shirts, and they don't generally hang like great loose bags around your arms... Loose enough to swing a sword in, yes, but not as capacious as they are modelled on the Gripping Beast figures... IMHO.

Anyway, here's my take on Victarion Greyjoy...

For the record, I don't see the Greyjoys as Vikings. Seagoing raiders, yes. But that doesn’t mean the Iron-born have horned or bespectacled helmets, Dane-axes and go round chanting Uphellyaa. They’re a high-medieval culture, same as all the other great houses of Westeros - perhaps just a bit less high in appearance. And they happen to be a seapower.
Plus Victarion is explicitly described as wearing plate armour.
My Victarion raises triumphant (if slightly sleevy) Gripping Beast Viking arms, with a Fireforge sword added, a Fireforge Teutonic great helm, and a Perry WOTR armoured body.

Here are my Greyjoys together...

And here they are having a scrap with the rascally Boltons...

And I think that just leaves my attempt at a Wildling to come...  :)