Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: To Westeros with Captain Blood! 14 October, another hill tribesman (p66)  (Read 246157 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: To Westeros with Captain Blood! NEW - More Boltons and The Imp (P 32)
« Reply #495 on: October 27, 2015, 10:23:03 PM »

In fact, I have just bought some for kitbashing myself.
Good to see how well they work.

Good news. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with  :)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #496 on: October 28, 2015, 12:25:47 AM »
More great work. Looking forward to the painted versions...
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #497 on: October 30, 2015, 10:49:54 AM »
Good news. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with  :)

Oh, I am not sure that you will..... ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #498 on: October 30, 2015, 11:13:03 AM »
Oh, I am not sure that you will..... ;)

lol

Don't tell me - Wars of The Roses zombies? ;)

(Been there, done that. I already mashed-up a couple of Mantic ghouls with some Perry WOTR components. Must dig them out of the box I threw them in and post pics...  ;D)

(Thinking about it, they are pretty much 'White Walkers' really, so hey, I might even paint them... )

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #499 on: October 30, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »
lol

Don't tell me - Wars of The Roses zombies? ;)

No zombies....I promise.
Although you probably still wont like it.
 :D

(Been there, done that. I already mashed-up a couple of Mantic ghouls with some Perry WOTR components. Must dig them out of the box I threw them in and post pics...  ;D)

(Thinking about it, they are pretty much 'White Walkers' really, so hey, I might even paint them... )

Ya see?
You do like zombies really.
 :D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #500 on: October 30, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »
Paul succombs to the pull of the plastic!   lol   
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #501 on: October 30, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »
Paul succombs to the pull of the plastic!   lol   

Mate, I have been playing with plastics for donkeys, being an old 40k player (many moons ago).
Loads of kit-bashing in my shady past.... ::)

I just prefer the heft of metal.

Plastic is much easier to convert, though, so I am being tempted by you lot back tonthe Dark Side for an idea that I have had.
(Which will probably give Richard the heeby-jeebies!)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #502 on: October 30, 2015, 02:10:38 PM »
Never having been a GW player I tend to forget about their plastics. You prompted me to have a quick look at their LOTR line and some look like they might be useful for GOT conversions.  8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #503 on: November 08, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
Phil from Osprey kindly sent me a box of the new Frostgrave plastic cultists - so I obviously had to immediately throw a few together to see what they were like :D
I'm using these to further build out my plastic painting pile for my Game of Thrones project.

Although the styling of the components is more outright fantasy than I’d normally be interested in, I like the Cultists set very much.
The poses are a bit more interesting and dynamic than the first Frostgrave Soldier set; the components (including a generous 16 different heads) are more sharply sculpted and cast, and although the five bodies included (there are four identical frames in the set, giving 20 figures) still suffer from a certain softness of detail and one or two ugly undercuts, overall they’re a pretty handsome and versatile kit of parts.

Only one slight downside for me: Because (for extra versatility, so you can make dead / undead cultists) there are two different zombie heads and a couple of different skeletal heads included, plus assorted arms to accompany these, there are rather less ‘regular’ arm and weapon options than in the first set. Although, that said, there are several separate hands clutching assorted evil-looking daggers, which can be grafted on with minor surgery.

The slightly holey, tattered clothes, plus the various dead/undead options, mean that this set lends itself particularly well to GoT conversions - eminently suitable for kitbashing White Walkers, Wildlings / Free Folk of various denominations, and the Night’s Watch, as well as Northern houses like Starks, Boltons and so on.

So here are my first few test mash-ups using the Cultists set…

Stark bowman and Bolton banner-bearer.

This is the first of the bodies on the cultists’ frame. It’s upright and nicely done. I’ve used it twice here.
The Stark bowman has a GB Dark Age warrior head with added Green Stuff long hair. His arms are from the original Perry WOTR set.
The Bolton bannerman has a Coppergate-style helmeted head from the GB Saxons set, plus a pair of armoured sword and standard-bearer arms from the Perry WOTR command frame.
This being the North where it’s chilly, both have added Green Stuff fur capes.

The next two are both built on body number 2. This one has a very nicely modelled padded jerkin, which (as you can see on the longbowman) allows it to be neatly paired with a variety of Perry arms clad in similarly quilted armour.

The bowman is going to be another Stark. His open bascinet and longbow arms are from the Perry HYW set. Note the very nice new quiver of arrows which comes with the Cultists set. Again, this is rather better than the one included in the original Frostgrave Soldiers set. The wooden targe is from the Perry Mercenaries set.

The second figure is a Bolton - or possibly even a Frey crossbowman. Maybe one of those villains from The Red Wedding… He’s got one of the (many) hooded cultist heads, and a pair of Perry WOTR crossbow arms. The quiver full of quarrels is another nice new piece from the Cultists set.

The next one is a Bolton or Frey (TBC) swordsman. This uses the third cultist body – a nicely detailed outfit and a great lunging pose. The arms are also from the Cultists set, although I’ve swapped out the OTT fantasy scimitar for a more proportionate WOTR broadsword blade. I’ve added a scabbard and an Italianate barbute helmet from the Perry Mercenaries set.
Note the raised left arm – there are several variants of this arm included in the Frostgrave Cultists set. I think they’re meant to be scary claw-like hands. They’re very finely done, and work for fighting poses like this one.

Number 6 in this batch is a Bolton armoured spearman.
This is the fourth of the cultist bodies – again, a very well done and dynamic piece – a strong, legs-braced stance, without too much of the slightly odd bandy-leggedness that characterises some of this sculptor’s other work for Fireforge.
I like the Monkish rope belt on him (because rope belts always paint up nicely), and the stance lends itself to an aggressive spear defense, using a pair of armoured arms from the Perry HYW English Army men-at-arms frame, plus a Perry WOTR great helm for that slightly sinister, businesslike look…

For some reason, the fifth and final cultist body hasn't inspired me so far, so instead, for the last character in this group - another rascally Bolton - I’ve used a Perry HYW longbowman body with a pair of the cultists' arms.

The axe is slightly fantastical, but one of the few weapons options in the Cultists set which looks reasonably realistic in its proportions.
His head is one of several open-faced, hooded heads in the new Frostgrave set. The faces themselves are all a wee bit exaggerated, GW-like / pseudo-Orcish. But a couple of them will pass muster for real human faces. Again, it’s very finely done - as are all the heads. This one reminds me of an Enid Blyton evil goblin - so just about right for a Frey or a Bolton...

There are even a couple of heads in the set wearing skull-like masks - one of these is a dead ringer for the ‘Lord of Bones’ from the HBO series. (Purely co-incidental I’m sure).
The shield is from Fireforge. The large pouch and dagger combo is another useful component included in the new Cultists set.

So, all in all from my point of view (not being all that interested in Frostgrave – sorry Nick and Joe – but hopelessly addicted to kitbashing plastics for A Game of Thrones) this is another excellent new set with a serious amount of potential when it comes to modelling in general, and breaking for spares.

I think it’s also a step-change improvement over the original Frostgrave Soldiers set – which was nice enough anyway. So well done and thumbs up to all concerned :)

Followers of this thread will note that I now have around 30 recently built figures to paint  :(

So probably no more builds from me for a while, 'cos I really do now need to see some of these through to finished, painted figures  ::)

Offline AdamTheGreat

• Student
Re: To Westeros with Captain Blood! NEW - Frostgrave Cultists mash-ups (P 34)
« Reply #504 on: November 08, 2015, 05:52:08 PM »
Very nice figures and conversions. Now I have some ideas ::)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #505 on: November 08, 2015, 06:08:51 PM »
Excellent.  While I've only played one game of Frostgrave it was enough to show me I've no interest in devoting time/project status to it.  I'll play it if someone hosts (using my own figs) but I concur, no real interest.

However, I am vastly interested in the plastics for bashing.  Are the cultists out for normal retail sale already?  I've been putting off buying the normal plastics because of shipping, but if I can swing both boxes I'll buy in. (doesn't hurt that maddened cultists are one of the few henchmen I don't have painted up...)

Wonderful work as always.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #506 on: November 08, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
Very nicely done: the lunging swordsman is my stand out favourite  8) 8) 8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #507 on: November 08, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »
Thanks Steve  :)

However, I am vastly interested in the plastics for bashing.  Are the cultists out for normal retail sale already?  I've been putting off buying the normal plastics because of shipping, but if I can swing both boxes I'll buy in. (doesn't hurt that maddened cultists are one of the few henchmen I don't have painted up...)

Wonderful work as always.

Thanks. I think the plastic Cultists are out in a week or two's time :)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #508 on: November 08, 2015, 06:44:15 PM »
Very impressive compositions.  I really like the lunging swordsman,  the spearman and the Bolton axeman,  he looks especially like a right bastard.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #509 on: November 08, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
Another great set of additions, again showing your skill at kitbashing, getting the best out of various plastic sets. I can't wait to get my hands on these cultists. Thanks for sharing