Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:31:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: To Westeros with Captain Blood! 14 October, another hill tribesman (p66)  (Read 246148 times)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
so,  you haven't painted them yet.

lol

great stuff as usual.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator

Stonking conversions as always, Richard. A technical question: do you brush your plastics generously with liquid polystyrene or what causes that glossy shine? What's the reason?

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
So you have done it again.
I hate to state that I wanted to do something very much like this. The frostgrave frames have a great potential for making individual figures especially if combined with other manufacturers ranges.

But I'm repeating yourt thoughts.

btw: I very much like your figures!
Looking forward to seeing them painted.

Greetz
GS
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks.

Stonking conversions as always, Richard. A technical question: do you brush your plastics generously with liquid polystyrene or what causes that glossy shine? What's the reason?

Yes - exactly so, Peder. Whereever there are residual mould lines which the scalpel hasn't quite got rid of, or where there's a bit of a gap in a join, or a few crumbs or shavings of waste plastic clinging on, a liberal application of liquid poly cement brushed on dissolves, smooths away and conceals all ills... As if by magic.
Which is indeed why the figures appear glossy in parts.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius

Can't wait to see this one painted, can't you throw a sicky or something  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Thanks.

Yes - exactly so, Peder. Whereever there are residual mould lines which the scalpel hasn't quite got rid of, or where there's a bit of a gap in a join, or a few crumbs or shavings of waste plastic clinging on, a liberal application of liquid poly cement brushed on dissolves, smooths away and conceals all ills... As if by magic.
Which is indeed why the figures appear glossy in parts.

I shall try this. I am currently dabbling with plastic minis with the young Hammers. The conversion part, just as you have previously witnessed, is very satisfying, but the deburring requires a delicate hand.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Trust me. Liquid poly cement is the answer. Just slap a load on, wait 20 seconds for it to start to infinitesimally dissolve the surface, then take an old brush and smooth your troubles away :)

If only all life's little problems were so simply dealt with...  ;)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
I'd be worried about obscuring the details. How does it affect the brush?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Nope, miraculously it just seems to lift off / smooth away any residual mould lines or bits of burring, and leave the detail intact.
Particularly useful across fine detail like mould lines across knuckles or down the middle of a face. Very hard to get rid of these completely with a blade, without damaging the detail. But easy to just paint them away with liquid poly cement.

I use an old fine point brush. Wash it out with humbrol enamel thinners afterwards. Comes up fine.
 :)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Clearly I need to try this out.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
There must be a toyshop in Bognor  ;)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
It's a bit rubbish. I do have the Mongol horses that I was cleaning up the hard way until my scalpel blade broke. Might have a go on them.

Edit: engaging brain for a second, it'll have to wait until I'm home. No brushes here.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:42:38 PM by Dewbakuk »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I am at odds with Liquid Poly. I swear to God I must have insulted its mother or something in an earlier life. It has more times than I care to count toppled over, spilling all over my plastic projects. These days the first thing I do before I open a fresh pot, is to epoxy glue it at the bottom to a sheet of plywood 20 by 20 cms. I can see it shaking its fetters, struggling to get free when it thinks I am not looking.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:13:11 AM by Hammers »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
These days I just use this, no real chance of spillage and accurate application. Just keep a bit of wire to hand in case the needle clogs up.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
These days I just use this, no real chance of spillage and accurate application. Just keep a bit of wire to hand in case the needle clogs up.

Not quite the same product, old boy. The Humbrol liquid poly I am talking about is more fluid, almost like water. I suppose it is more of a solvent  but I am hazarding the guess that it also contains trace amounts of polystyrene as a bonding agent. Both have their different uses, obviously.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:17:18 AM by Hammers »