Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:08:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gangs of New York (or Chicago)?  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
Gangs of New York (or Chicago)?
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »
Can anyone tell me if they have plans for either a New York or Chicagoan crime gang to complement the companies of the Kentish Men or the Brick Lane Commune?

As a "literary dilettante relying on Wikipedia and lead adventures contributors for my research" I confess I haven't read the book  :) but Wikipedia sounds promising:
"saloon halls, gambling dens, and winding alleys of the Bowery and the notorious Five Points district of Lower Manhattan, The Gangs of New York dramatically evokes the destitution and shocking violence of a turbulent era, when colorfully named criminals like "Dandy" Johnny Dolan, William Poole (aka Bill the Butcher), and Hell-Cat Maggie lurked in the shadows, and infamous gangs like the Plug Uglies, Dead Rabbits, and the Bowery Boys ruled the streets. A rogues gallery of prostitutes, pimps, poisoners, pickpockets, murderers, and thieves"

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people ... I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out ...

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
Re: Gangs of New York (or Chicago)?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 03:04:10 AM »
I don't know who's doing lists, but Bobby Jackson sculpted a whole line of these, called "B'hoys!" They're available through Virtual Armchair General, apparently.

http://www.thevirtualarmchairgeneral.com/210-bhoysfigs.html
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »
Brigade Games also has a bunch of figures designed for Gangs of New York, some straight from the film.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »
There are a few really nice ones from the Perrys as well.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:03:12 AM »
I had all three manufacturers, all fit fairly well, you can also throw into the mix some of the victorian thugs (westwind) and various wild west and other characters form many of the VSF ranges.

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
Thanks for the recommends, there's always a lot of lovely lead to collect  :)

But is anybody out there putting together a Company list? 

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:16:25 PM »
I started to create a Company based on Johnny Marcone's Chicago syndicate from the Dresden Files series of books by Jim Butcher (I had previously posted a Company featuring the other characters from the series). Having also researched the Pinkertons, and reading much about Adam Worth, the Company morphed into the Whitechapel Syndicate, below.

Worth and Bullard were actually Americans, although much of their crime was committed overseas, and there is no reason why this group couldn't populate the streets of New York or Chicago instead.

Miss Gard is a holdover from the Dresden Files, as is Donar Vadderung in the story line. No need to keep the Valkyrie or adhere to the story line: make of it what you will, change the names, or whatever.

PDF here:
www.wrgmr.com/whitechapel.pdf

Mike O
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:51:23 AM by oabee »
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
Thanks for the follow up .... interesting how international crime was in those days, it seems criminals were way ahead of the public in taking 'package holidays' (well I guess they were actually 'business trips')

Johnny Marcone's Chicago syndicate from the Dresden Files series of books by Jim Butcher

One of the only book series my wife & I have on our 'must buy in hardback as soon as it is published' list.

Worth and Bullard were actually Americans, although much of their crime was committed overseas, and there is no reason why this group couldn't populate the streets of New York or Chicago instead.
Which perhaps explains why they don't appear in my copy of The Victorian Underworld by Donald Thomas, a curious omission though given his success, I'm sure I have Macintyre's book on Worth in the attic.

Nice that IHMN caters both for political empires and criminal empires vying for the top spot.