Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:47:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mixing with Warlord Games' ECWs?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
Mixing with Warlord Games' ECWs?
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:26:33 PM »
I've decided to put together a small force of Parliamentarians to counter my buddy Scott's Royalists, and I'm leaning towards Warlord Games' infantry to get the most bang for my buck. But if I'm looking at other lines, which ones size/style well in direct comparison with WG? Whose figures wouldn't look wildly out of place in the same ranks?

Thanks, all.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Mixing with Warlord Games' ECWs?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:29:35 PM »
The Warlord Games Pike and Shotte plastics have quite a distinctive, stylised look. I wouldn't say any other lines fit particularly well with them stylistically. Not even sure their own metals have quite the same look - in fact some of them don't.

They are medium sized though, so you could go with the slightly smaller Perry or TAG ranges, or the much bigger (and IMHO better) ranges from Bicorne and Renegade. Redoubt are also on the large side.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »
I mixed my Warlord minis with Renegade and Redoubt, and it seemed to work pretty well.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:20:51 PM »
I too find TAG thirty years war and Perry ECW go together quite well with maybe the perry stuff being the most problematic, although some of the perry miniature are slightly different sizes.
Generally, my renegade stuff is much bigger although the scale creep evident across this range, means that a few figs are passable alongside. You could look at the gorgeous, Empress ECW too which might be a fit size wise for Warlords stuff. The Empress stuff is so 'realistic' in style though that the warlord style jars in comparison.
If you search about the net, there are a few comparison shots of different ranges on various blogs. :)

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
We have extensive ECW armies at the club, mostly Warlord, Old Glory, Foundry and Redoubt with a little Perry and even some Eureka miniatures.

I find that infantry across all ranges are reasonably compatible but maybe not in the same unit. Metal figures are usually a bit chunkier than the Warlord plastics but not that noticeable unless you look closely.

The largest of the lot are Redoubt. However even with these figures as long as the whole unit is redoubt they blend into the battle fine.

The biggest issue with Warlord IMO is the size of their horses. Compared to metal ranges (with the exception of Redoubt) they are quite large. Metal horses are usually smaller and more slender to save metal.

But again, as long as you don't mix manufacturers within the same unit you can't go wrong.

Cheers
Fuzzy.
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »

If I remember correctly those are (right to left) Renegade, Bicorne, Warlord, TAG.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »

If I remember correctly those are (right to left) Renegade, Bicorne, Warlord, TAG.

That's my pic  :)

And you're right (going R to L)

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 04:18:29 PM »
This might be helpful too (I knew i had seen it somewhere...)

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=119716 There are some comparison photo links on there.

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:24:51 PM »
Sorry I made an error. When I refer to redoubt in my previous post I actually meant Renegade miniatures.

:(

Cheers
Fuzzy

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
Emil Horky/Horcata measure up fine. Perry ECW and Old Glory are shorter, but I still use them in the same army. I'm adding a mm in the basing for the Perrys though.
The two to the left are Perry, then two Horcata, and a Warlord plastic.