Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:12:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A question of building sizes  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Whyatt Herp

• Assistant
A question of building sizes
« on: February 15, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am a bit confused regarding the sizes of buildings. My figures are relatively small. Primarily foundry (old) and Dixon. That is why I cannot use alle the Lazercut MDF buildings manufactured on the market today. I tried the Sarissa Precission Heroic, but the doors were simply to big. The Sarissa 25mm range fits. Besides I have some scratch built buildings. I have been trying to figure out whether I could actually use 4ground DMH's buildings, or they too will be too big, and perhaps the Tri-city buildings from Knuckleduster. A typical figure of mine is 30mm from sole to the top of his hat (foundry old), so I recon that the door itself should not be more than approx 35mm. The doors on my scratchbuilt houses are 33-35mm.
Any suggestions n what to buy....please?
Whyatt

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
Re: A question of building sizes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:26:35 AM »
I don't think you should worry about it to much. If you look at photos of old west buildings you will see that the doors and windows are typically quite large. Google pictures of bodie CA for some examples of this.

In regards to the 4Ground buildings they are closer in size to sarissa herioc buildings. I mix all the different manufacturer minis in Calamity. They look fine mixed together.

Here are some side by side comparisons of the 4Ground buildings with those from other manufacturers.
http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2013/08/28mm-laser-cut-western-buildings-side.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:30:32 AM by Heisler »
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:43:18 AM »
Whyatt, I respectfully don't agree with Heisler on this.  But I do with you!  I think windows and doors should, generally, be of a piece in size.  And having been to Bodie in person and taken lots of photos - here is a link to them: http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/buildings.html - I don't think that is a good example.  The only windows and doors that were "out of scale" to others were business/industrial as opposed to residential.

Of course, I also have to admit that I'm not much of a fan of any of the laser cut products out so far.  There is potential with them improving but I'm not sold on them yet.  And I really don't care for the wagons!  But that is just my opinion. 

There are still plenty of resin alternatives out there as long as you don't need open interiors - although there are some that provide that.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 04:34:33 AM »
And as a rejoinder take a look at these buildings from Sacramento. Look at the size of the doors and windows compared to the people as well as some of the buildings. Something to keep in mind that there were no building codes, no standard sizes, everything was pretty much built right on site. I remember reading about the renovation of a hotel from this period where the foreman said that there wasn't a single door or window that could be interchanged with another. Everything was built to fit. In the end its whatever makes you happy.

http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2014/02/views-of-sacramento.html

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »
The hovels buildings have a tendency to be smaller; they're advertised as 25mm rather than 28mm.

You might consider the pegasus log cabins; they're ~20mm scale, but seem to work with 25/28. I cover the (not very good) thatched roofs that come with the kits with laser-cut 4ground tile strips and the result is lots of buildings for not very much money.

Offline Whyatt Herp

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 05:28:44 PM »
Thanks for all your replies so far. But can someone please tell me the dimensions of the doors on the Tri-city and the 4 ground buildings (a normal exterior door that is)

Offline cruorangelussilicis

• Schoolboy
    • You Tube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 05:43:35 PM »
Thanks for all your replies so far. But can someone please tell me the dimensions of the doors on the Tri-city and the 4 ground buildings (a normal exterior door that is)

I only have 4Ground buildings.  The exterior door dimensions are 20mm by 33mm with the openings being 21mm by 35mm

Offline Whyatt Herp

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »
Thanks cruorangelussilicis...they will fit just fine. Actually its exactly the same dimensions as my scratchbuilt ones. The opening there is 35*25mm and the door itself 21*33...BINGO....great. Any one knows the measures on the Tri-City doors?

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
I have one Tri-City building, the livery stable and the door measures 22 x 38 mm.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 12:41:13 AM »
Minor item to keep in mind, windows were large to let light in as interior lighting was by kerosene lamp or whale oil... not very good, expensive and used at night.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Whyatt Herp

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 09:44:33 AM »
I have one Tri-City building, the livery stable and the door measures 22 x 38 mm.

Is that the main entrance or an ordinary door?. And is it the outer measures og just the opening itself?

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 09:58:59 AM »
Is that the main entrance or an ordinary door?. And is it the outer measures og just the opening itself?

That is the actual size of the ordinary door opening not the frame

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »
Sarissa doors - 26mm wide, 35-40mm high.  They allow a 25mm based figure to stand in an open doorway, and allow for the different bases used, slotta, and 2mm MDF and the odd tall hatted chap.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 01:18:59 PM »
The door width is one of the things that disappoint me about Sarssisa, the back door on the jail is 30 mm wide which seems far too wide to me.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »
Suppose it's worth pointing out that we were only just beginning to have some semblance of building codes by then - and not something you'd find much in the Old West except larger towns etc.  I know it's a personal preference but I wouldn't worry about it.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!