Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic world war one! Finally!  (Read 14492 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Plastic world war one! Finally!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »

Aren’t the bayonet’s scabbards a little short too? IIRC WWI Lee Enfield’s bayonets were pretty long, no?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 03:44:35 PM »
Their proportions are too realistic for 28mm. These heads will be just too small.

After the Victrix hoplites disappointment I wouldn't expect too much.

Yep thats what I see

Offline CorvetteK225

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »
I would have preferred not being overly critical. But, there are far too many oddities and the figures just don't excite me.   :-I

The figures stances are unnaturally wide; the rifle bearing arms seem too far outstretched; the helmets appear too crisply defined between crown and brim; the bayonets are far too short; the helve carriers are a bit too small; the rifle lengths are awkwardly long; and everyone's heads are painfully lurched forward.

I hope they will consider fine tuning these figure designs just a bit more.

David

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »
Gotta say they look pretty good to me, realistic proportions and all. Better than all the overly chunky metal stuff that's usually available.

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 05:24:47 PM »
I don't understand the victrix hoplite issues, the models are lovely, am I missing something?

And as interesting as these are, we are still waiting for hanoverians and French guns, both scheduled for end of last year, with no updates, I don't expect to sed these until 2015, and that's an honest estimate

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 05:37:38 PM »
I don't understand the victrix hoplite issues, the models are lovely, am I missing something?

Matter of taste, for sure. They're not bad at all but the final product is just not as good as the shown masters. And I was going mad trying to stick all the beards and so on.  I was expecting something else. But that's surely me and my personal opinion. Strictly spekaing it's a solid gaming product, a lot of figures for little money.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
Wait what? I'm not familiar with the Victrix Hoplites... They sold 28mm minis with separate beards!?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »
Not quite so. Spartan box has heads with beards but the rear hairs are extra pieces and you actually always need green stuff to close the gaps after sticking together the hair and the head and to try making it looking good. I didn't like it, it took too much time.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »
Hah! I did a 'How To' article for Wargames Illustrated a few years back, making Spartans from the Immortal Miniatures box. I had to greenstuff the braids on every model ... yeesh.

Anyhoo, I do like the look of those infantry. The accuracy issues as to the shape of the helmet and the length of the scabbard are probably beyond my pay-grade, but I do like the proportions and poses - they remind me very much of the Airfix WW2 infantry. I'm a fan of more realistic proportions without the exaggerated extremities seen on more traditional styles of 28mm sculpting. Being later war they obviously will have a lot of scope for use in VBCW and other inter-war fun.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:55:59 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 11:21:07 PM »
Actually, if anything they are more mid war, ie post Loos, around the Somme period. The absence of the large box respirator worn on the chest mitigates against late war. That said if they are 1916 era, there really should be a smaller gas hood cover at waist level. I can't see it.

Alas, for anyone contemplating a range to cover the whole war, there will inevitably be compromises. The same thing will be true of the Germans, unless they plan on figures with two sets of lower legs plus gas mask cases, seperate heads etc. Uneconomical for both manufacturer and customer I would have thought.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »
Maybe there are gas mask options on the sprues?

Bit odd then.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 12:14:04 PM »
Maybe there are gas mask options on the sprues?

Bit odd then.

If there are, then judging by the photo, the box respirator would be absent its straps, which were reasonably prominent. I suppose most people won't notice. It probably wouldn't stop me from buying them if they clean up the other issues but of course, it will nag at me unless I modify each figure with some lead foil straps :)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
Already have a division to base these on when they come out, 36th.

Get the Green stuff out for the Sashes  :D

TBH these don't excite me.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
Wow, plastic wwI is intriguing!! To bad they surely won't fit with my Renegase frenchs....

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »
Interesting reactions to a set of preview images...  Its a good job they are using CAD to model them, without wasting time money and metal...  Keep the comments coming as they are all good research for revising them... I like the idea of correct proportions, but the detail on plastics needs to be reconsidered as painting pin point buttons and tiny details is a pain in the bum.

Ive never had to use fillers on any plastic kit assemblies... If the part looks as if its not right I dont fit it.