Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:01:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: solo gaming  (Read 3679 times)

Offline gefreiter

• Bookworm
solo gaming
« on: January 31, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
Hello,

So, want to play the Texan war of independence with Boot Hill miniatures, 30 or more miniatures a side with units of 8-20 inf., 5-more cav., and some artillery. BUT solo,I have Sharpe practice rules, was looking for playing them solo, but how to handle the actions of the opponent/random enemie and how to handle the Big Men from the opponent/random enemie. I would play with the Texans against the game/Mexicans in my case. So anybody ideas????

Cheers

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: solo gaming
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »
Take a look at the rules offered by Two Hour Wargames.  They are pretty much designed for solo play.  There is at least one set for the 19th century, maybe more.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:33:09 PM »
Musket and Shakos has a second on the TWI but M&S is unit oriented single based rules.

earlier in time is Long Rifle (Skirmish) and Muskets and Mohawks (units, single based figures) with Rifles and Rebels (single figure units) Six Gun Sound (skirmish) probably a bit too late mechanics wise.

I assume your figures are single figure based?  Not that it is too difficult to find ways to reflect casualties for multiple-figure bases...

I have the first three of the four and like how they work for solo play (I believe those three also have a section dealing with solo play in the rules.)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:14:55 PM »
One thing you can also do is:

1) Create a simple random activation system (playing cards, tokens etc.).  When activated, that unit simply does what is in its best interest.
2) Grab some blank playing cards and scribble down some tactics or strategies, and draw them when activating?  ("hold position", "advance", "cautious advance", "take cover") etc.

Some simple mechanics you can add to almost any game to make them more solo friendly.  Not perhaps a perfect solution, but if you have something you really like, you can probably make something work.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »
I will actually agree with what Elbows said.  Along with the THW games, I play his Shoot and Skeedaddle and Fistful of Lead solo with reasonable success.  It helps if you enjoy talking to yourself. :)

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 10:27:29 PM »
Two Hour Wargames used to do a set of rules called Deguello for the period. you may only be able to find a used copy. Still drop Ed a line, he may have a few old copies laying around.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:15:43 AM »
I will actually agree with what Elbows said.  Along with the THW games, I play his Shoot and Skeedaddle and Fistful of Lead solo with reasonable success.  It helps if you enjoy talking to yourself. :)

Yeah, many games are quite suitable solo, you just have to acknowledge you're going to miss the "two secret opposing grand schemes".  I find with games like SnS etc. if you set up a scenario, and simply act in the characters or units best interests, it plays out well.  You just miss out on the secret scheming and clever opposing tactics stuff - which is a little bit of a shame (another reason I think SnS works well...giving that the special cards throw even yourself for a loop!).  lol

I guess I'd simply stress that you can do a lot yourself to make the games of your choice suitable.  Don't be afraid to crank out some tables/charts or cards!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 02:14:48 AM »
Two Hour Wargames used to do a set of rules called Deguello for the period. you may only be able to find a used copy. Still drop Ed a line, he may have a few old copies laying around.

I have a copy of those, it seems very "period" for that war if that makes any sense.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:17:54 AM »
Glenn,
           Considering that the Deguello was the bugle call used during the last assault on the Alamo and signaled "No Quarter", I would hope it has period flavor.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 03:01:10 AM »
If you have the chance, check the AI system from Gears of War: The Boardgame. It has a simple card-drawing mechanic, with each enemy type having their own cards in the deck. Each cards has two options, one of which gets chosen depending on circumstances (any enemies in sight/ a certain distance from the nearest enemy/ near friendly units/ wounded etc) and then they either move towards the nearest enemy, maybe go into cover, attack, or any combination, with some special units of course having special rules. It can get a little predictable but that is mostly because normal enemie types don't have different cards, this can easily be changed by making custom AI action of all sorts.
 If no enemies of that type are present than new ones wil typically spawn, however this is probably only for certain scenarios in an Old West game.

If you are interested in this type of system check www.Boardgamegeek.com.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 03:26:52 AM »
Glenn,
           Considering that the Deguello was the bugle call used during the last assault on the Alamo and signaled "No Quarter", I would hope it has period flavor.

Honestly, Ed Teixeira doesn't appear to have them on the THW website  http://store.twohourwargames.com/index.html or forum http://site.twohourwargames.com/forum/index.php - I think I got a copy of them from the Yahoo group - Yahoo has totally screwed up the Yahoo Groups with the last "Improvement" they made.

I had trouble getting a grip on them for running games and I own several THW rules that I really enjoy- 5150: Fighter Command, Colonial Adventures - 1st and 2nd Edition plus Colonial Lemuria, Long Rifle plus Muskets and Mohawks; Muskets and Shakos; Rifles & Rebels; Rally Round the King and 3000BC to 1500 AD RRtK Historicals lists; The Beautiful Game, and the Free rules - Chain Reaction 3, Swordplay, and Druid's Children for Swordplay.  I plan  on getting (one every other month or so) more: 5150 Battalion Commander, 5150 Star Navy, 5150: Star Army plus on the probable/possible list: NUTS!, War Against Japan, and Fire in Korea.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline crancko

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »
you can try my rules with cards....

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=320507