Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:32:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 7TV Overwatch or Ambush mechanic?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
7TV Overwatch or Ambush mechanic?
« on: February 02, 2014, 04:02:52 AM »
Played my first game of 7TV today, but we were all just getting familiar with the rules. Good fun.

We looked about and wondered if there is a mechanic for 'overwatch' or if not then perhaps someone has brewed up their own version of the same?
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Re: 7TV Overwatch or Ambush mechanic?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:31:05 PM »
Played my first game of 7TV today, but we were all just getting familiar with the rules. Good fun.

We looked about and wondered if there is a mechanic for 'overwatch' or if not then perhaps someone has brewed up their own version of the same?

Glad you enjoyed them :) As you may have found the rules are more cinematic than realistic, so no overwatch rules to date I'm afraid. Wouldn't be much of stretch to come up with some though. Worth asking on the CD forum too.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:40:42 PM »
Glad you enjoyed them :) As you may have found the rules are more cinematic than realistic, so no overwatch rules to date I'm afraid. Wouldn't be much of stretch to come up with some though. Worth asking on the CD forum too.

I recall a discussion on overwatch some time back.

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?m-1321957873/s-12/highlight-overwatch/#num12

The first and last message in the thread will be of the most direct interest to you
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:45:07 PM by Booboo »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »

Hey Karl,

Cant sign up for the CD forum, it says it's closed.

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »
Hey Karl,

SPammers, Karl will likely sort you out quick, till then

These rules may not be to everyone's tastes, and may occur in slower game play.

Any feedback is appreciated: 

OVERWATCH ACTION: Allows a figure to fire in their opponent's turn (this action can only be performed once per turn, while active).  Place an Overwatch marker on the table, it must be placed (& remain) in sight of the active model, and in range of its ranged weapon.  The model does nothing else this activation.  Any enemy models that fire or move within 3" of the Overwatch marker trigger the shooting (however you may choose to pass, and hold your fire, with the hope of another model triggering it later of course).  If the model activates again (i.e., on a new turn) without having fired, its held action is lost.  (any Special/Heroic Actions that mimic the 'bullet-attractiveness' of moving or shooting, natually also trigger the fire).  You only get to Fire once however (not every time the overwatch is triggered).
     This allows models to deter an enemy from popping out of cover, or advancing closer.

DEFENSIVE FIRE (Reaction): The target of a Charge may fire at the charger, as a Free Action during the chargers turn - as long as he has a ready ranged weapon, and is charged to his front.  (note:  the charger can't be targeted by Overwatch fire and Defensive fire in the same turn by the same model - either Overwatch Fire or Defensive can be used, but not both from the same model).  The firer chooses at what distance in the charge, they fire (at least before contact is made).
     This allows models a chance to defend themselves with firearms vs. melee weapons.

BREAKING from MELEE (Reaction): Models engaged in melee combat which activate can choose to try to break free.  The attempt takes 1 action, and their opponent(s) get a free melee attack, which succeeds on 2+.  If the activating model survives this, they can continue their activation as normal. 
     This discourages models from withdrawing in melee.
     [from the DWMG rules]

I’ve had a look at your new rules and here is my considered opinion on them:-

Overwatch: I think that within 3“ of the marker is a bit too generous. 2“ seems better. I would also say that models have to fire at the first model to move within 2“ of the marker unless they pass an Int stat test.
Concerns I have with this rule are that it could give too much of an advantage to a defender in episodes where one side is defending or where the terrain consists of narrow corridors or similar (their position is too strong your tactics will not work: Lyton, Resurrection of the Daleks). Also more cautious players may end up putting their whole cast on overwatch rather than actually Doing something.
I also think that rather than the plain sounding 'Overwatch’ perhaps 'Cover me!’ might be a better name for the rule.

Defensive fire: For this I would say that you have to pass an Int stat test to use it. The test would add a bit more tension (and also I don’t want my charging cultist tactic to fail every time!). Also I would not allow a model using overwatch to use this. My theory is that concentrating on that one small area would stop the model from noticing more imminent danger.

Breaking from melee: I think this impairs firearm models too much. I think if Inspector Lionheart has survived my cultists ‘All out attack and charge’ the least I can do is allow him to run 5“, turn around and fire at him with his Webley.

You say that these are designed to stop models from running 12“ into melee with no chance of a reaction from its target. Without seeing one of your games in action, so the following is purely conjecture, is it possible that you don’t have enough rough ground, obstacles or elevation changes in an episode? All of these tend to ensure that a model doesn’t get a full 6“ of movement from an action.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »
BooBoo, Uti, thanks for the link and the very useful post.  :)

Great stuff there including the solid feed-back. Easy enough indeed to incorporate into the sorts of episodes we have it in mind to play. We definitely need our military types to be able to shout out 'Cover Me!' as they advance. It's such a classic line.

I really like the idea of a 4" marker to define the covered area.
Also like the idea that a unit would be pre-occupied / susceptible while covering an area.

Defensive Fire.. Also very tempting as it makes a lot of sense. Definitely with the Int test, and perhaps not if a figure has already fired this turn.. 

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 11:09:24 PM »
Cheers!

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »
Hey Karl,

Yeah - sorry we had to close open registration as we were getting 200+ spammers a day.

I can set you up if you drop me a line at mail@crooked-dice.co.uk