Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1/56 Chevrolet 1.5ton truck  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Lluís of Minairons

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
1/56 Chevrolet 1.5ton truck
« on: February 02, 2014, 10:58:34 PM »
After Hispano Suiza MC-36 AFV and Henschel Type 33 truck, this is the 1/56 model we at Minairons Miniatures are planning to release next:

It is 1937 Chevrolet 1.5ton truck, some of which were employed by the Spanish Republic --either built at Barcelona under license, or imported into Catalonia through the French border, some weeks prior to the Republican offensive along Ebro river. Model kit will consist of 16 parts, most of them resin --with a few exceptions to be cast in white metal, due to small size and/or fragility. Designing and 3D printing process has already finished satisfactorily, and we're now starting to work master moulds. We expect it to be born before Saint George's Day.

Regards,
Lluís
www.minairons.eu
"Nations that went down fighting rose again, but those who surrendered tamely were finished" - W. Churchill

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: 1/56 Chevrolet 1.5ton truck
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 07:28:15 AM »
Excellent choice of model there! I look forward to seeing it.  :)

my granny learned to drive in one of those. I think the grill looked a bit different though. Maybe a later model as she got it in 42'.

the army gave it to her.

The grill went through some changes as you might expect, eventually ending in a flat one, not unlike the more usual Dodge types you see in WWII ranges.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:47:16 PM »
Great work Lluís. Im toying with doing a SCW Nationalist army so might be coming to you for some stuff :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:43:19 PM »
I think the grill looked a bit different though. Maybe a later model as she got it in 42'.

The front end and cab of the wartime 4x4 version was virtually identical to that of a GMC CCKW "Deuce-and-a-Half." The side engine panel had less louvres and the word "Chevrolet" pressed in it; and for some odd reason the Chevy used different screws to the Jimmy, but other than that the parts are completely interchangeable.

My dad had one when I was a kid, the dump truck variant (or "tipper" as we Brits might say - do Americans use that term? - Dunno  :)). He bought it from the Weston's Cider company in Much Marcle.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »
The front end and cab of the wartime 4x4 version was virtually identical to that of a GMC CCKW "Deuce-and-a-Half." The side engine panel had less louvres and the word "Chevrolet" pressed in it; and for some odd reason the Chevy used different screws to the Jimmy, but other than that the parts are completely interchangeable.

My dad had one when I was a kid, the dump truck variant (or "tipper" as we Brits might say - do Americans use that term? - Dunno  :)). He bought it from the Weston's Cider company in Much Marcle.

Did the truck come with the cider, like those cereal packs you get with toys in them?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
Unfortunately not. But the fuel tank was filled with bottle tops, though.

It did come with a ghost, if you believe in such things, as it was said to be haunted after being used to transport the body of a suicide. The only evidence of this I ever saw was a photo taken of the vehicle by my father. There was nobody in the cab when the pic was taken, but when it came back from the developers it appeared that a mysterious shadowy figure was sitting in the passenger seat.

Incidentally, Much Marcle was also the birthplace of serial killer Fred West.

Much Marcle...Village of Horror!
But more importantly, Cider.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
Unfortunately not. But the fuel tank was filled with bottle tops, though.

It did come with a ghost, if you believe in such things, as it was said to be haunted after being used to transport the body of a suicide. The only evidence of this I ever saw was a photo taken of the vehicle by my father. There was nobody in the cab when the pic was taken, but when it came back from the developers it appeared that a mysterious shadowy figure was sitting in the passenger seat.

Oh. That's a disappointment. For a moment there my Anglophia was fed another rich satisfying myth-slash-factoid about the quirky but superior way you Britons go about things. But, hey!, it was haunted!, that's pretty cool!

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »
I think this is the chevvie which the Vichy French in Syria portee'd some 75mm field guns.  That could be a fun model to scratch!

Rich

Offline Lluís of Minairons

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
Also used by Germany either in Northern Africa and Europe:

(The one behind the Ford V8 in foreground)

(In Norway, it seems)

(Better not to ask what happened)

I noticed a few radiator grill variants --some due to the pictures being watched actually showing a 1937 GMC, which is virtually identical to 1937 Chevrolet, except for that feature as well as the company logo; but others apparently related to which particular factory in Europe had built them (or this is what I learnt, at least).

(A Republican quadruple Maxim AA on a 1937 General Motors Iberica)

(General Franco's staff car during the invasion of Catalonia)

Cheers,
Lluís

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
Also used by Germany either in Northern Africa and Europe:

Great news as I would love one for my germans!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 12:13:44 AM »

That's Glaaster off the hook then.  :D  Anyone taken a closer look at your cellar or back garden Dylan?

Very nice work Lluís. It looks like it might make a decent proxy for some post war Chinese trucks
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo