Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:37:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Designing model buildings: software?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Designing model buildings: software?
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:56:32 AM »
When I used to scratchbuild model buildings, I would draw plans on paper, and then re-draw the dimensions on the card or material that I was working with.

Now, I'd like to build some model buildings, and perhaps a few of each design, and would like to save a few drafting, measuring, and laying-out steps.

How do people go about designing (or building) them these days? Do you use a software application like SketchUp? Alternatively, do you re-scale and print-out paper building model kits as templates? Or do you design as you build?

Thanks!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Designing model buildings: software?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 07:45:57 AM »
I have been using CAD to draw building elevations so I can print out templates to scale. Then I never build them! I have a few Victorian buildings drawn up at the moment that I was considering getting laser cut. I have also drawn up a few buildings from line tracing photos in CAD. I find it much easier than using sketch up, which is fine for looking at building massing and planned table set up, but I'm nowhere near good enough at it to do much else.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:46:35 AM »
Sometimes I design as I build, sometimes I draw it all up in autocad to be cut out on the laser and sometimes it's a mix of the two. It depends what I'm doing  :)

There are advantages to both methods and as mentioned, it really depends on the type of job  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »
I just draw it in MS Paint, often starting with an image that is a graph paper. I find it to be a pretty quick process.  NB: save as a PNG rather than a JPEG.

It's easy to distribute the images as is or if I want to include explanatory text I just copy them into word and save as a PDF.

For one off, simpler buildings I usually don't bother to draw a plan
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
There is Pepakura, pretty nice program. It imports *.obj files so you can create your model in a 3d modelling application like 3D Studio Max and export it. In Pepakura itself you can change the scale, cuts, folds, tab sizes, and much more. I recommend it, it's pretty cheap as well.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »
There is Make Paper Structures: Model Builder software that is designed for railway scenery.

I don't own it, although I've been thinking about buying it...

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »
I normally just wing things and start gluing, but for large or complex builds I do use Sketchup. That way I can export for laser or 3d printing if needed.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 12:17:40 AM »
SketchUp is the best, hands down. It's free, lightweight, very capable, and has a HUGE amount of plugin support for nearly any task or tool, including unfolding meshes into paper model templates. That model train program would be a waste of money since you can do all that and more just as easily with SketchUp or other free programs.

If you prefer working in 2D, there's InkScape ( http://www.inkscape.org/en/ ). Basically the GNU alternative to Illustrator.

Peppakura is for if you're using models from a different program. Like if you downloaded an .obj model off the web, or are extracting models from video games. If you're building your own stuff in Sketchup, you don't need it. That said, Meshlab ( http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ ) will enable you to convert mesh formats to SketchUp importable ones, so technically you don't need it for those things either.

Single licenses for professional industry programs like Autocad and 3D Studio Max will cost you as much as a used car. People who use these professionally or as students tend to forget/ignore that a lot in conversation, so take mention of those with a large dose of salt. They are badass programs, but they are not practically affordable to the average hobbyist.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 04:40:22 AM »
Thanks, all!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:12:29 PM »
I have a few Victorian buildings drawn up at the moment that I was considering getting laser cut. I have also drawn up a few buildings from line tracing photos in CAD.

Ooooh! Can I have a peep?

I use the old fashioned way of pen and paper but will look into the software mentioned on this thread, might improve my designs.
Don't!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »
Ooooh! Can I have a peep?

I use the old fashioned way of pen and paper but will look into the software mentioned on this thread, might improve my designs.

I'll try and get the PDF'd tomorrow. If you pm me your email I'll send them over. They are buildings near my work that I've photographed, line traced and corrected.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 09:01:11 PM »
Google sketchup is the way to go ! Or if you want to add textures and all (for print and play for example) you could take a look on Blender, maybe.

But for your purpose I always heard about Sketchup.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 11:40:53 PM »
Or if you want to add textures and all (for print and play for example) you could take a look on Blender, maybe.

You can do that in SketchUp too. Can't do things like displacement, normal, or specularity mapping since it's not intended for that type of CG rendering, but diffuse texture mapping (which is what you'd be using for printable card models) is a standard feature.