Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:11:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules  (Read 48300 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »
Is it forbidden also to provide front and back shots? The reason I ask is that sometimes there is detail on the back that isn't visible from a single angle. Or if it's a unit base, sometimes there's detail from a top angle as opposed to a side angle. Or should I just pist the best angle for all of the figures and compose the single shot?

It's forbidden to provide more than one shot. Just try to find the best angle for the single shot.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
May be I can steal the big fishes some votes!  :D

Said a big fish  :)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 09:07:35 PM »
...It is FORBIDDEN to provide additional close ups.

Is it forbidden also to provide front and back shots?

The "only one image" rule - surely others have spotted too the huge assistance this gives to slow painters like myself?

No?

Then I'll tell you...

You only need paint half of the figure.  The front half that will show in the photo.  The back you can leave bare metal and paint later when the pressure is off.   ;)
 lol lol lol

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »

You only need paint half of the figure.  The front half that will show in the photo.  The back you can leave bare metal and paint later when the pressure is off.   ;)
 lol lol lol

Great idea Malcolm, d'ya think they will notice over on Ebay  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »
The "only one image" rule - surely others have spotted too the huge assistance this gives to slow painters like myself?

No?

Then I'll tell you...

lol lol lol

Haha, easier to paint it all I think than to line it up perfectly before hand to figure out exactly which parts to paint and which to leave blank!

Seriously though, kudos to those who actually do only paint half the figure :)

n.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
Hey, the first rule of half-painters' league! >:(

Offline Painting Princess

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 03:32:47 AM »
Okay, I'll join in the "photo-angle" conversation too ;D - can we show some figures' fronts and some backs in the same shot, since there's only one photo allowed? Not sure if Prof's "just pick the best angle" clarification already answers that or if it means pick the angle that best suits most figures (and is the same angle)??

Another question - figures being from the same "side" seems to indicate also the same "race". For example, if I paint Flintloque figures, can I have dogmen with dwarves in a "team" for example, since my figures are not from different regions like Ostaria or Finklestein etc. but rather all from the Free State of Schnoselburg? (Yes, I am aware that I did invent this region of Valon myself ;)) Ie, they're on the same "side", they're just not the same race ...

Finally, and I think Blue may have already answered this, but I wanted to check anyway - we can post pictures once the week of voting is over for the competing minis BUT presumably, you can't resubmit a team for a later round if you've posted pictures somewhere, right?

Thanks!
The Princess Diaries (painting blog): http://painting-princess.blogspot.com.au/
Battle of Frogonia blog: http://battle-of-frogonia.blogspot.com.au/
Z Scale Steam Ventures (model railway blog): http://steam-ventures.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 07:17:10 AM »
You can show whichever side of your figures you like within the single image of the team.

Same side doesn't necessarily mean the same race. The Fellowship of the Ring, for instance.

Interesting third point. Think the Prof will need to rule on that one.

:)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 07:52:51 AM »
Haha, easier to paint it all I think than to line it up perfectly before hand to figure out exactly which parts to paint and which to leave blank!

Seriously though, kudos to those who actually do only paint half the figure :)

n.

bit off-topic, but I have to admit that I once managed something looking this in the LPL...  though not by choice. Being happy with the result of a night of painting I took out a can of varnish, or so I thought....  Next thing I knew, the backside of the models had a nice new primer coat...  Still, from the front you wouldn't say that the models only have a partial paintjob :D

Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 07:57:08 AM »
You can show whichever side of your figures you like within the single image of the team.

Same side doesn't necessarily mean the same race. The Fellowship of the Ring, for instance.

Interesting third point. Think the Prof will need to rule on that one.

:)

Thanks Captain Blood! :)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 08:01:35 AM »
Seriously though...

The "single" photo rule.

So simple.

You paint your figures.
You group them together.
You take one photo of the group.
You crop that photo to 800 x 800 or less, no more.

Another example from a previous LPL.  (Hope it helps.)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 08:23:41 AM »

Finally, and I think Blue may have already answered this, but I wanted to check anyway - we can post pictures once the week of voting is over for the competing minis BUT presumably, you can't resubmit a team for a later round if you've posted pictures somewhere, right?

Earlier seasons I think show runners have been OK with details pics and re-posts being done after the first week, even if you submit an entry for subsequent rounds. Not *entirely* consequent but I personally would have no problem with it.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 08:45:56 AM »
Seriously though...

The "single" photo rule.

So simple.

You paint your figures.
You group them together.
You take one photo of the group.
You crop that photo to 800 x 800 or less, no more.

Another example from a previous LPL.  (Hope it helps.)

Excellent example! 
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »
Thanks, gents, that does help! :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
Okay, I'll join in the "photo-angle" conversation too ;D - can we show some figures' fronts and some backs in the same shot, since there's only one photo allowed? Not sure if Prof's "just pick the best angle" clarification already answers that or if it means pick the angle that best suits most figures (and is the same angle)??

You may not show fronts and backs in the same shot. It's only one photo allowed, with only one view, within one angle.

Another question - figures being from the same "side" seems to indicate also the same "race". For example, if I paint Flintloque figures, can I have dogmen with dwarves in a "team" for example, since my figures are not from different regions like Ostaria or Finklestein etc. but rather all from the Free State of Schnoselburg? (Yes, I am aware that I did invent this region of Valon myself ;)) Ie, they're on the same "side", they're just not the same race ...

the rules:

The figures must form a convincing team by following a common theme AND being "on the same side" within the theme

We don't speak of the same race but of necessity of having a convincing team. As long as a team provides members of different races and the whole is linked to a valid background (LotR, D&D,SoBH etc.), it wouldn't be an issue.

Tricky one. Strictly speaking you may not post pictures anywhere as long as the team is playing. Though the rule was primarily intended for the case of having a new team. Re-posting of a team is usually a bad idea because the voters tend to vote for the new one. Apart from that we've already had lots of old teams which have been painted ages ago by the participants and these had been posted on the blogs etc . in the most cases. Being the moderator of the league I wouldn't much care about older pics but being a participant I personally wouldn't post any additional pics of the team somewhere as long as I think about further use of the team in the currently running league.