Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:37:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules  (Read 48554 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2014, 02:10:48 PM »
Seeing as it doesn't fit the WW1 theme, the point is rather moot.  :)

That :)

As the Prof. said it´s not, how about Warmachine? Too steampunky?
I mean, there´s magic, elves, goblins, dragon, undead and what not.
Or does fantasy actually mean "Sword &Sorcery"?

Warmachine or Hordes? Hordes is their fantasy game, I think? Some of them would go for sure, the best is to contact me via PM oder email with the link or pic and we will sort it out.

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »
Sorry, obviously was busy doing too many things at once :-X

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
Warmachine or Hordes? Hordes is their fantasy game, I think?

Well, they both take place in the same Iron Kingdoms setting. WM just represents the steamy side and Hordes the primitive side of the world. There are trolls, wolf riders, archers and similarly generic stuff, but also some quite distinctly IK-specific models which don't necessarily count as "classic" fantasy. Anyway, I've entered Hordes minis to a Conan round so it's simply up to selection. :)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2014, 04:15:15 PM »
Just a quick thought, and it might be answered already; Can I do a collection of odd things that fit together within a common theme, and not specifically belong in a group? For example, Dungeon Denizen consisting of an Owlbear, a beholder etc?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »
Yes you can, provided they make a sensible allied group - like, for example, a wizard, a ranger, and elf, a dwarf and a hobbit.
:)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2014, 05:13:11 PM »
Or a Dane, a Norwegian and Bellman...  ;)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2014, 06:09:13 AM »
Yes you can, provided they make a sensible allied group - like, for example, a wizard, a ranger, and elf, a dwarf and a hobbit.
:)
Thought so :) Cheers!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 07:54:22 AM »
You could go with the classic......an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 08:36:20 AM »
You could go with the classic......an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman!

Now where is Torchwood?

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2014, 07:29:50 PM »
I just read the rules for LPL as they stand now and find some very interesting changes from the times past when I submitted some humble entries, season 3-4? I think.... I had discussed the fact that I thought many of the complicated "presentations" that while nice, clever, and well done were both not what the minis should be judged on as well as making it harder to compete for those with painting skills but lacking computer drawing skills or even the time to do the layout. I like the fact that now the main focus is on the "mini's"! Well done!  :)

I like the “no manipulation” rules also for the same reasons. I work in the film business and if one “saw” the way “some” actresses looked before, make up, hair, lighting, camera filters, and such you would be sadly disappointed….. :o

I do disagree with the "one picture, one angle rule" no close ups inserted, etcetera, rule.... Why is this? (if Prof you don't mind answering)If a entry is allowed only so much space / pixels and you want to show more of the work that went into painting the miniatures then you have that space to work with and to show the front and back you sacrifice size to get that and its all fair / balanced. By limiting the angles you artificially give an edge to some figures due to the way they are sculpted. EXAMPLE: a figure that has a cape painted with great depth and shading but the same figure carries a beautifully painted shield, you cant show them both. In a real world painting contest judge are not limited to one viewing angle, nor are they forced to view a miniature at one fixed distance. I routinely see miniatures that look quite the same a one distance but vary that distance and they become quite different. I want to see a overall view as well as a closeup of the "jewels" in the crown or the woodwork on the stock of their weapons! :'(

I pulled two examples from my LPL3 entry file, the Samurai are 15mm and clearly shows the disadvantage one is put in when trying to compete with a larger scale "IF" you were not allowed to do closeup inserts. Now I realize that someone is going to say "well only show 5 of them bigger", great idea but it takes away from the impressiveness of the group as well as lessens the viewers appreciation of the amount of work you did on the entry, as in 5 x 15mm are easier to paint than 5 x 28mm "so I'll vote for the guy who did more work"

I hope to enter this year but will see, I mostly paint according to my ongoing wargaming interest so changing up for the “bonus” rounds is a bit of a challenge but also refreshing….. I don’t do “Fantasy”, Sci Fi” yes, but goblins and wizards, no not in 25 years!  I’m at a loss as to what to do for the first round? I may have to dig very deep into the lead pile……  ;D

Well as the recognized “squeaky wheel” on LAF and in the world of miniature painting that’s my “two cents” tossed in… >:D

Anyway I look forward to seeing all the great entries about to grace these pages! Good luck to all! Now sharpen your brushes!..... lol

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2014, 05:21:27 AM »
All figures must be mounted on finished bases, which may be textured, painted (with a pattern or in a solid, finished single colour) or consist of clear plastic (such as "flying" bases or clear acrylic/perspex shapes).

Okay, if the figures have a molded base cast on to them, will I need to extend the base? I have some Bones figures for Round 1 that have a dungeon stonework base molded on them, and they are just the right size for later use.

Obviously, I am painting the bases and adding some detailing to make them more interesting, but I'd like to not have to cut the figures from perfectly good bases and then re-base them if I can avoid it.
J

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- Winston Churchill
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2014, 09:10:44 AM »
Okay, if the figures have a molded base cast on to them, will I need to extend the base? I have some Bones figures for Round 1 that have a dungeon stonework base molded on them, and they are just the right size for later use.

Obviously, I am painting the bases and adding some detailing to make them more interesting, but I'd like to not have to cut the figures from perfectly good bases and then re-base them if I can avoid it.

You don't need to re-base them, we only want to see painted bases. So having molded painted bases will be fine.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2014, 09:59:51 AM »
You don't need to re-base them, we only want to see painted bases. So having molded painted bases will be fine.

What about plain black bases - for my RPG miniatures I normally don't use flock or other basing elements.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »
What about plain black bases - for my RPG miniatures I normally don't use flock or other basing elements.

All figures must be mounted on finished bases, which may be textured, painted (with a pattern or in a solid, finished single colour) or consist of clear plastic (such as "flying" bases or clear acrylic/perspex shapes).

Sounds like it fits the rules.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »
Prof. a quick question: would the LAM Landsknechte fit for the first bonus round "The Realms of Fantasy". (just tinkering with my painting list  :D)

Cheers,
Za