Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules  (Read 48504 times)

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2014, 11:48:44 PM »
Ok good to know for a back-up plan.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »

Will a staff car (repainted diecast) count has a “big thing” for the WWI entry? Alternatively, what kind of airplanes where available in the early days of WWI and is there models of these planes available in 1/72nd or 1/48th somewhere?

Cheers! 8)

A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2014, 08:18:27 PM »
I quite fancied entering this, but discounted myself because most of my figures are fantasy or dark ages ie I have no ancients or WW1. However, I am now thinking that I have misread this. In a bonus round, I would receive extra points for meeting the bonus, but could still enter with a non-bonus subject, just miss out on the extra points?

For example, round 5 is ancients, if I entered some vampire counts I would not receive the bonus, or would I have to enter an ancient topic (leaving aside the argument that vampires are actually ancient beings  ::) ).

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »
I quite fancied entering this, but discounted myself because most of my figures are fantasy or dark ages ie I have no ancients or WW1. However, I am now thinking that I have misread this. In a bonus round, I would receive extra points for meeting the bonus, but could still enter with a non-bonus subject, just miss out on the extra points?

For example, round 5 is ancients, if I entered some vampire counts I would not receive the bonus, or would I have to enter an ancient topic (leaving aside the argument that vampires are actually ancient beings  ::) ).

You misread this, indeed, you don't have to enter bonus themes, the only difference is you would receive the extra points if you do.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2014, 09:20:16 PM »
? Alternatively, what kind of airplanes where available in the early days of WWI and is there models of these planes available in 1/72nd or 1/48th somewhere?
Cheers! 8)

There's actually quite a large choice of WWI aircraft kits, both in 1/72 and 1/48. Personnaly I prefer 1/48 with 28 mm, although a tad on the large side, it's a far better match than 1/72. Ideally there should be 1/56 scale models

Revell has some 1/72 and 1/48 kits (in Europe the 1/48 Bristol F2B has been recently re-released, about 20 €). Roden also has a quite extensive line (the most complete that I know of) of kits in both scales, albeit more expensive than Revell : http://www.roden.eu/HTML/framemodels.htm.

Airfix has some 1/72 kits.

Early war planes - they're probably out there as a kit but might be harder to find. From 1916 onwards you should be able to find a suitable kit rather easlily. The following site gives a list of airplanes by nation and year: http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/by_year.php

If you're content with late war, there are plenty of Sopwith Camels and Fokker DRI kits available. I think you're legally not allowed to start a model airplane company if you don't have those  ;)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:25:14 PM by gnomehome »
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2014, 06:24:34 PM »
I got a question about the team section:

Would it be allowed to have a box of Pandora setting: someone opens a box, and out of the box appear 4 cruelties/demons/ bad guys.. would that make a team?

Please answer yes!  :D
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2014, 07:08:11 PM »
Aren't, traditionally, the demons antagonists to Pandora and humankind? Add one and you're home.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2014, 07:23:19 PM »
What Hammers said, you'll need five of the daemons.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »
Some seasons back, I think, a rule was changed so I would like clarification:

If a team has, say, 8 figures, 5 of which are "new" but the other three were from a previous round, will the "new" bonus be gained, or does inclusion of the other 3 figures disqualify the whole team from the "new" bonus?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2014, 09:31:26 PM »

If a team has, say, 8 figures, 5 of which are "new" but the other three were from a previous round, will the "new" bonus be gained, or does inclusion of the other 3 figures disqualify the whole team from the "new" bonus?

Tricky. The rules do say:
'A "team" consists of 5 or more fully-painted miniatures' and 'A "new team" is a set of painted figures photos of which have NOT previously been published ANYWHERE on the Internet'.
In other words, I think if your subject - the team, or set of figures - has 5, 6, 7 or 10 figures, then they should all be newly painted to earn the bonus points.
If you want to include other figures which may have been seen before, for purposes of 'set dressing' in the background, then that's okay.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
I always make sure my team is 5+ new figures. I haven't shown many entries that use old stuff (the rabbits fighting goblin and Orc samurai come to mind.) I never thought it was an issue since quite a few people have used previously shown figures with new ones and the 'new team' is usually pretty clear. I like Hammers' recurring ne'er-do-well and his dog. And the Professor's pigs have been seen rooting around in more than one photo :)

I suppose the grand spectacle of lots of figures (say, 10 previously shown figures plus five new ones) is just another thing that can influence voting. Quantity can be impressive ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:32:10 PM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2014, 08:53:08 AM »

We always allowed entries using older figures as part of a story background or part of a team and also the current rules don't forbid them. So no disqualification because of using older stuff. The main point has always been to paint up at least five of the figures for another round not to limit your scenery imagination to this number as despite of some new restrictions LPL is still about making a good show.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »
We always allowed entries using older figures as part of a story background or part of a team and also the current rules don't forbid them. So no disqualification because of using older stuff. The main point has always been to paint up at least five of the figures for another round not to limit your scenery imagination to this number as despite of some new restrictions LPL is still about making a good show.

Understood.  Thanks.   :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »
I like Hammers' recurring ne'er-do-well and his dog.

That is slander. He is not a ne'erdowell, he is just a slightly unpopular fellow who barges in on his way with his presumed irrelevant errands.

Offline Bobbo

• Librarian
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2014, 07:03:14 PM »
Quick rules clarification.  For round 6 I'm painting up some board game figures.  I was planning on shooting pictures of them on the actual gameboard with some of the other 3D elements of the game that I'm also painting.   But then I thought that might violate the photo backdrop rules.  Is that the case?  The simplest reading would say this is a rules violation, but I wanted to check to make sure.

I'm not trying to just shoehorn things in and be difficult.  I was just thinking that it would be nice to see how the minis look against the backdrop of the board they would be used on.

Thanks!