Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:53:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 678
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules  (Read 48304 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2014, 03:55:52 AM »
Funny you should mention this; recently I was looking at some of my older figs and realized that sadly I haven't really improved for a few years... like five years :`( Time for me to get to work and up my game I think!
Thanks
n.

At least one of my entries this year wasn't up to my usual standards and the voters knew it ;)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
Mike, this thread is about rules and the rules allow all of the three options.  From my point of view it's surely not a "bad form" as we consider everything within the rules to be a "good form". Apart from that I would prefer an  entry from previous leagues to the repeated posting of a current entry. LPL is still about having a good show.

Actually I've even thought about having a round with only such "oldies" at some point in one of the future leagues. Could be a funny round.

So, life got in the way of a number of participants in LPL -- just as it usually does late in the league. I noticed a lot of folks just "re-run" a submission from previous rounds. I also noticed that the voters usually are prejudiced against repeats (not that I blame them -- I'm guilty of the same emotions). I was wondering, though...

Let's say you're a participant and you know you won't get a new team painted in time. The way I see it, you have several options. I'll list them in descending order of the amount of time it takes.

Option #1: Take previously painted/published/submitted miniatures and restage and photograph them. Obviously, you let Alex know they do NOT get the "new" bonus.

Option #2: Take a submission of yours from a previous LPL and submit that. Similarly, you let Alex know it is NOT a new team.

Option #3: Rerun a submission from the current league.

My question is option #2 "bad form," or ungentlemanly? Some of the voters will recognize the repeat from a previous year, of course, but each year we have new members to the forum who have not seen it. I doubt all new members go through and read all threads from previous LPLs. There are two benefits to #2. One, a percentage of the readers get a chance to enjoy a picture they may never have seen before. The other (and where I ask if it is "bad form"), is the voters may not slam you as hard for a repeat entry.

Note that I did submit all new leagues this year, but in Round 10 of last year I chose Option #1 (photographing and submitting figures I'd shown on my website before). Obviously, if you are swamped and too busy to do #1 or #2, then #3 may be your only option available.

Curious to hear the input of the participants and the powers that be on this question....

Mike Demana

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2014, 01:19:10 PM »
Actually I've even thought about having a round with only such "oldies" at some point in one of the future leagues. Could be a funny round.

A great idea but how would newcomers be able to compete?

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2014, 09:03:22 PM »
I would prefer an entry from previous leagues to the repeated posting of a current entry. LPL is still about having a good show.

I hadn't thought of that...I was seeing things through the eyes of a participant, not observer. Good point!

Thanks....

Mike Demana